Finder FTP (Connect To Server)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
is there a particular reason that when i connect to ftp's it doesn't let me edit anything in there...doesn't the finder have that capability?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    talking about jaguar? then no, you can´t do it with the finder. some kind of permissions problem that apple never cared to fix.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Same with Panther, although now it has an option to authenticate, however it won't let me. I think it tries to use your login name as the login for FTP.

I hope this time they finish the feature.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I can't even get Read Only FTP to work in Finder in 10.2.6.

At least Transmit is kickass!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I can't even get Read Only FTP to work in Finder in 10.2.6.

At least Transmit is kickass!

i use fetch...you have to do ftp:// before your domain...and it has to be the correct domain, so dont put www or anything
  • Reply 5 of 9
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Using Finder FTP, I've been able to reproducibly lock-up my machine... hard. My Mac actually freezes. No kernel panic. No nothing. The cursor just stops. Everything just stops. No spinning wheel of death, just stops like an old-style OS 9 freeze.

Only about 50% of the time, though.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    ooo tell us how >
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Any finder mounting locks up your computer. Easy way: log into another machine using AFP, put other machine to sleep, try and eject or open the slept computer... BAM! no more finder.

Really annoying.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    As3r3x I was hardcore on Fetch too, my dad working for Dartmouth and all. But it just didn't keep with the times. No sFTP and the interface...Well just give Transmit a spin especially if you haven't bought Fetch yet! It'll blow your mind! Best FTP client ever, no wonder Apple gave them an Apple Design Award. And yes I entered the FTP address correctly and it presented a dialogue where I validated myself, and then...nothing. A progress window which at some point disappeared (I went to other apps after staring at it.) So Panther still doesn't do two-way FTP in Panther? I have a feeling it'll probably change in the final version, after all it can't be hard to fix. I feel sorry for Transmit though!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'm trying it out right now

eh we'll see how i get used to it...i am rather found of Fetch in its simplicity...it up loads it downloads