printer for G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which printers are recommended for G5? Which printers definitely should be avioded?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    any printer that works under macosx should still work with the new powermacs. with the exception of old computers that have different ports available. i would look for a printer that uses usb or usb2, and check that it has macosx drivers. theres nothing about the g5 (that i can think of) that would make any previous printers incompatible. i also doubt that printer drivers would need to take advantage of any of the new features of the new the processor. even if some do, old printer drivers will still work (if they used to work under macosx that is). i would recommend that you not get a hp935c, because i've had a lot of problems with two of them, but, again, thats independant of the processor.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Purchasing advice, moving to General Discussion...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bloggsbloggs Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

any printer that works under macosx should still work with the new powermacs. with the exception of old computers that have different ports available. i would look for a printer that uses usb or usb2, and check that it has macosx drivers. theres nothing about the g5 (that i can think of) that would make any previous printers incompatible. i also doubt that printer drivers would need to take advantage of any of the new features of the new the processor. even if some do, old printer drivers will still work (if they used to work under macosx that is). i would recommend that you not get a hp935c, because i've had a lot of problems with two of them, but, again, thats independant of the processor.

Thanks, Thuh Freak. I want to purchase the G5 in January/March next year. The printer we are using at home actually is hp also, a hp 955c, and probably due to the humidity over here at the moment - we live in Japan - the thing picked up a mass of paper, jammed, then switched itself off. Then ink started literally pouring from the base. So the hp, purchased new not more than two and a half years ago is now very dead.

I really want to purchase a printer (with scanner combined) immediately, but in the biggest department store in the city they advised us to get something cheap for the moment. Basically to hold off until the G5 hits the shelves. They are telling us the 64-bit processing power will not be able to be handled by the most recent printers. According to them HP or Epson will be best with the new G5, and we should wait until the upgraded printers able to cope with the G5 hit the shelves. I need a printer now, and don't really want to waste money on a cheap machine.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bloggs

I really want to purchase a printer (with scanner combined) immediately, but in the biggest department store in the city they advised us to get something cheap for the moment. Basically to hold off until the G5 hits the shelves. They are telling us the 64-bit processing power will not be able to be handled by the most recent printers. According to them HP or Epson will be best with the new G5, and we should wait until the upgraded printers able to cope with the G5 hit the shelves. I need a printer now, and don't really want to waste money on a cheap machine.

printer doesn't need to be (and won't be) 64 bit compatible.

Epson Photo 960 and Photo 2200 are reallllllly nice inkjet printers
  • Reply 5 of 14
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    I'll throw in my vote for the Epson Stylus 820--good price/performance ratio. (Just don't try to print large envelopes with it...I did, it jammed, and trashed the machine.)

Which, again, is 64-bit independent
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I'm looking for a printer for my last generation G4.. I guess Canon i950 is a good printer.. but will they update it? i960 or such?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I'm looking for a printer for my last generation G4.. I guess Canon i950 is a good printer.. but will they update it? i960 or such?

The Canon i950 is not a good printer. It is an AMAZING printer. I just got one, and my "test" photo prints look no different than if I had gotten them printed at a photo lab. Plus, it's very quiet.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Epson Photo 960 and Photo 2200 are reallllllly nice inkjet printers

I second that. The 2200 is an awesome printer with great color accuracy and resolution. It's also a firewire printer. It costs a hefty penny, so I am looking at it's little brother the 925. (Same technology as the 960 but with compact flash/paper roll support) 8) Epson has great printers. I stay away from HP, but that's just me.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    I'd like to chalk up my vote for the i950, if you're willing to use Canon paper - I've got some Kodak paper sitting around going to waste because the i950 prints funny on them. On Canon paper, though, the quality is superb.

Say, long as we're on the subject, I've had problems getting borderless printing to work under OS X, as their software (not driver, actual software) is only Windows compatible. It just doesn't expand all the way to the edge in the properties. Anyone else had this problem? Canon tech support was no help.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    From what I heard, borderless printing is a OSX limitation and not that of the printer manufacture. It works on OS9 and windows but not OSX yet.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Actually, I have successfully made borderless prints with my i950 via iPhoto (though the following steps should work for any application). Go to "Page Setup", and in the ensuing window, there should be a drop down menu that says 'Format for:" or something like that (I'm on a PC at work right now). The default setting for that menu is "Any Printer" (I think), and when this is selected, the paper options are limited to standard Mac OS X page sizes. However, if you specifically choose "i950" from that menu, you should get more paper size options, including 4x6, 4x6 borderless, 5x7, 5x7 borderless, and Letter borderless. Choose a borderless paper setting in Page Setup, and then print as you normally would.

Oh, and Jaguar is required for borderless printing.

nb: I'll check the steps when I get home because the names of the items may be a tad off. But you should get the basic idea.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Ahhh. Then it was added with an update. Coolness. 8)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Thanks for the input.

Basically, I have two USB printers here..

1) HP DeskJet 932C

I accidently dropped it to the ground, it somehow refused to print the last 2 to 3 lines. After finishing the ink.. I will shop for a new one.

2) Epson Stylus Photo 820

It is ok. Epson released a new driver few days ago. Now, I can make boarder-Free print under Jaguar, but this printer belongs to my sister.

In conslusion, I'm looking for

Boarder-Free print, 6-colors ink tank, quiet, good looking, and less than $150. May be I am dreaming for this price tag.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Then I'll say ye be look'in at the Epson 820, 825, and 900.

Cannon also has great printers but I don't know model #'s.