Audio CDs not recognized?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay Geniuses (sp), I need your help. Every time I insert an audio CD I get the "OSX does not recognize any volumes..." message??? It's bizzare, I've never had a problem before with just plain old audio CDs. It's a Powermac G4 Dual Processor machine with a combo drive (the powermac has a mirror front).

Any ideas?

My first thought was to clean it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    does Apple System Profiler report the combo drive properly in its "volumes" tab?

does this happen with all audio CDs or just one in particular? which one?

(some "copy-protected" Music CDs are known not to want to play, there are workarounds)

what about data CDs or DVDs... does the combo drive fail in all cases, or just audio?

which OS version are you running? is it updated?

if OS 9, which versions of the disc burner and itunes extensions?

(if OS 9 _and_ Toast _and_ old version of Disc Burner _and_ iTunes extension, a known conflict exists.

do you have any third party cd burning utilities (ie: Toast)?

if so, and they're active... run them first and then see what the drive reports on audio CD insert

(if so, and OS 9, see extension comment above)

a bit more info from your end will allow us to more accurately diagnose what might be happening

troubleshooting with more details should get us a solution.

- edit: woo hoo! 1000th post. and it's a helpful one
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Guys. I am the Genius to ask!!!!!

btw, plural is Geneii

I had the same problem two months ago. I posted and no one knew. Then, I solved it myself.

Ok, the cddb file in your prefs is fsck'd up. Delete it and you're set.

You see, if you log in as another user, you won't have the same prob.

I thing somehow iTunes 4 creates this prob for some.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I posted a similar thread couple months ago.

My stock combo drive (Toshiba SD-R1312) from PowerMac G4 (FW800) doesn't recognize some of my music CD. I called AppleCare and they couldn't solve the problem. I even format the HD and re-install Mac OS X.

Looks like I have to bring this 42lbs monster to the mall (AppleStore).
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kenneth has a hardware prob.

I had the same prob as the starter and I solved it.

For me, no audio cds could be recognized as opposed to some.

Try my thing first. In any case, make another user and you'll probably find it works there.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    i was having the same problem, except my drive started recognizing NO volumes... So i had just bought FCP, so i still had phone support with that... I called and we got it to work, and he said I may have a user file corruption, so I made myself a new user, deleted the old one, and now everything except itunes works awesome.. itunes is really annoying though... it wouldn't let me import a few cds and general annoyances similar
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

i was having the same problem, except my drive started recognizing NO volumes... So i had just bought FCP, so i still had phone support with that... I called and we got it to work, and he said I may have a user file corruption, so I made myself a new user, deleted the old one, and now everything except itunes works awesome.. itunes is really annoying though... it wouldn't let me import a few cds and general annoyances similar

Haw bout reinstalling iTunes?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Okay Genii,

Problem Solved! I took stevegongrui's suggestion and after a little tinkering it worked. The first thing I did was delete the CDDB Preferences file from my user preference folder. It still did not recognize CDs so I took a chance and deleted CD Info 1.cidb and CD Info.cidb as well. This worked! No problems now.

So here is the list of files I had to delete to make it work again:

CD Info 1.cidb

CD Info.cidb

CDDB Preferences.back

Thanks to everyone for posting tips.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Yes!!! I have proved myself to be a worthy Genius!!!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!

8)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Yes!!! I have proved myself to be a worthy Genius!!!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!

8)

for the record, i reinstalled itunes and it didn't work still
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I was referring to the other guy's problem.

I bet a real genius can't answer it either.

So there!!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    not that is really matters, but i deleted those files, and it works! so good work.. well, to be honest it worked for one cd, but once i signed on the net, and put the other cd i wanted to import in, cddb automatically updated the names and stuff, and THEN when itried to import it wouldn't import the songs... so i am gonna try it all again, tonight, but i know how to fix it at least, i just wish i didn't have to fix it everytime...