Best Pizza Toppings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    I only read half of this thread and I have a MOJOR craving for pizza... Damit.

Company - Pizza

Pizza Pizza - Canadian Slice
  • Reply 22 of 49
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

It is all about the Chicago style pizza. Pizzeria Uno, I am your bitch.

Tomatoes, a must have for any self respecting pizza. Any pizza that hasn't topped itself with tomatoes or mushrooms should be shot on the spot.

Damn right.

Anders that sounds good. I'm hungry.

Mom you hydrate the best pizzas!
  • Reply 23 of 49
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Chicago and the surrounding burbs have the very best pizza in the world. I've eaten pizza from NY, Atlanta, Denver... Tokyo, Melbourne... and no one compares. We may be the Second City but when it comes to pizza everyone else gets the Bronze -- we're so good we get the Gold and the Silver.

All shapes, all sizes, all kinds of topping, and for the most part... [kevin garnett]Allll Goooood[/kevin garnett].
  • Reply 24 of 49
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Originally posted by Anders

Quote:

Tomatoes, cheese, onions olives, japanelos and sharwarma. Bake. Then arrange with lettuce and a few small cut tomatoes and salad dressing on top of the pizza.

Anders nothing else you've posted in AI or AO has convinced me until this post, man, you need psychological help.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

I'm not really in Halifax, but I have connections in the city who might be able to hook you up, if you're serious.

I've never had donair pizza from KoD (and I've never been to Freeman's). How do they do it? Is it just the regular stuff, except with donair meat?

IIRC it's pretty much a giant unrolled Donair. A little tomato sauce, onions, tomatoes, donair meat and gobs of Donair sauce on top. I left Hali about four years ago and my memory of my time there is hazy at best so I could be wrong. I do recall that Freeman's was way better than KoDs.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    crispy fried eggplant makes a nice counterpoint to pepperoni~
  • Reply 27 of 49
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately baked ziti.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

Definately baked ziti.

Baked Zits...Seriously Gross.....
  • Reply 29 of 49
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Lots of different combinations work. Tomatoes, red pepper, jalapeño, Vidalia onions, roasted garlic, prosciutto etc. If you make it at home, you should make your own crust?really quite easy to do.

One thing that does not work on pizza, anywhere or anytime, is pineapple. No way, no how.

(And I like Anders combo.)
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Lot's of different combinations work. Tomatoes, red pepper, jalapeño, Vidalia onions, roasted garlic, prosciutto etc. If you make it at home, you should make your own crust?really quite easy to do.

One thing that does not work on pizza, anywhere or anytime, is pineapple. No way, no how.

(And I like Anders combo.)

Pineapple pizza was invented in Queensland ( OZ ) back in the 60's..

Because we are such a multicultural country, every culture has adapted pizza to their own variations.

So you can walk down a street and order

Savoury pizza..traditional italian styles.

Sweet & sour pizza (asian pizza )

Or Aussie Pizza : mainly pineapple with traditional extras..but I have also seen, ( but not eaten ) a seriously sweet fruit pizza

Kinda mixture of pineapple, kiwi fruit , banana, pecans, sour cream..& mozzarella cheese....
  • Reply 31 of 49
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    what is this donair stuff?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    We did this before, but I'll say it again...black olives, feta cheese & artichoke hearts rule (and a little fresh basil now that it's in season). Yum.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Originally posted by aquafire

Quote:

Kinda mixture of pineapple, kiwi fruit , banana, pecans, sour cream..& mozzarella cheese....

Hmm, not my idea of a pizza, isn't that more of a large tart or a pie?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That's why pizza is so great! almost anything works. Sure you can be traditional...but what's the fun in that?

When I was little I used to love those Round Tables "vegan" pizzas, basically a vegie works dealie but with no cheese or tomato sauce, it had freshly cut tomatoes just not sauce, it also had a special sauce that I later found out isn't vegan(has dairy in it) but since I'm not a vegan I couldn't care less At anyrate, that was avery untraditional pizza, but it was still damn tasty.

that said, I think my taste in pizza varies with my mood. Right now I'm feeling kind of lazy so I think a Mushroom/black olive pizza would hit the spot, but when I feel a little more active I like Onions and pinapple, or plain cheese with freshly cut tomatoes.

I remember I had pizza in italy once, it's really amazing how much the concept has evoloved, the pizza I had there had thick chunky tomato sauce, and slices of cheese(not grated) and a pretty thick crust too. tasted great, but totally different than what you get out here in the states.

Stone fired pizzas are awesome.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

what is this donair stuff?

Donairs are essentially the Maritimes version of the Gyro, I think. It is essentially sliced meat on a giant pita, covered in onions, tomatoes and covered in the delicious donair sauce. It's impossible to go anywhere on the east coast of Canada without seeing a Donair shop.

When I first moved to Halifax to go to school, the first things I learned about were Donairs and Keith's India Pale Ale. Both Maritime legends.

Surprisingly, I found a website with recipes to make your very own Donairs.

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~petitpas/Links/Donair.html

Back on topic, sometimes I just like plain cheese pizza.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Makes my left ventricle hurt just looking at it.

• Reply 37 of 49
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Donairs are essentially the Maritimes version of the Gyro, I think. It is essentially sliced meat on a giant pita, covered in onions, tomatoes and covered in the delicious donair sauce. It's impossible to go anywhere on the east coast of Canada without seeing a Donair shop.

When I first moved to Halifax to go to school, the first things I learned about were Donairs and Keith's India Pale Ale. Both Maritime legends.

Surprisingly, I found a website with recipes to make your very own Donairs.

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~petitpas/Links/Donair.html

Back on topic, sometimes I just like plain cheese pizza.

That has got to be the best piece of food I have ever seen in my very short life. :drool:
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Funny thing about pizza..anything goes...yep..And a pizza folded over is a calzone...

"George..where is my calzone...?"

Seinfeld..
  • Reply 39 of 49
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    mmm... it's not necessarily the *best* pizza in the world, but I live off BBQ chicken pizza with hot peppers. Served right up from the University's Engineering Lab Wing.

I didn't realise Donairs were so popular in the Maritimes- the only place I had seen them was Germany (I think they are turkish in origin, maybe?)
  • Reply 40 of 49
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Funny thing about pizza..anything goes...yep..And a pizza folded over is a calzone...

"George..where is my calzone...?"

Seinfeld..

Calzone... that's a good one.