New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 341 of 873
    mclaptopmclaptop Posts: 12member
    think i may have asked you this before, dhagan. just can't remember! but i'll ask again: why do you "think" the pb revisions will come before mid-august?

how's your patience with it all?

mine:

• Reply 342 of 873
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

...macdoobie:...

Says it all.

They make $hit up.

They got ONE scoop on the MDD's and ever since they have been cranking out crap trying to maintain their status as scoop-meisters. Well they are scoop-meisters, but the kind that clean out a stable, not publish inside information.
  • Reply 343 of 873
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Says it all.

They make $hit up.

They got ONE scoop on the MDD's and ever since they have been cranking out crap trying to maintain their status as scoop-meisters. Well they are scoop-meisters, but the kind that clean out a stable, not publish inside information.

At least they arn't as bad as Macwhispers.

And give them some credit. Back when no one thought we would see the 970/G5 at WWDC, they stuck to their guns.
  • Reply 344 of 873
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Says it all.

They make $hit up.

Completely right. Macdoobie is unreliable drivel looking for 15 minutes of fame. I'm SURE their source is "highly reliable."
  • Reply 345 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McLaptop

think i may have asked you this before, dhagan. just can't remember! but i'll ask again: why do you "think" the pb revisions will come before mid-august?

I don't know if they will be revved before mid-Aug; just can't imagine Apple going much longer with the current PowerBooks. They are up to 9+ months old. In tech terms, it's time for an update. Apple showed their hands with the future of the PowerBook line when they intro'd the aluminum models back in Jan. All the glaring issues people had with the TiBook were addressed, such as peeling paint, spongy keyboard, hinge issues, etc. Look, I own a Ti867 and the only issue I have with this model is the spongy keyboard. I always feel as though I'm going to pop-off a key. For someone who types a lot, this is a prob. I have had other Ti's and the hinges have cracked or were misaligned. Anyhoo, I have used the Alu models and they are a vast improvement in all areas. I cannot wait to upgrade.
  • Reply 346 of 873
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

This weird part of me actually wouldn?t mind if that goon?s latest story is true because it makes my life and decision making MUCH easier: If a 15? PowerBook update is released, say next week or within a month, and it?s STILL Titanium (with all the problems/quirks that entails), then I simply pay a spiffy 12? Combo Drive iBook for the time being. I can do that from savings alone by week after next (with money left over), sell my iMac at my llesires and take the money from it, five months of saving (August-December) and get whatever PowerBook finds its way to us in the first quarter or so of 2004.

So what you're saying is, whatever is released next, buy something 'cause we'll then have a better sense of Apple's next move. If it's a 15" AlBook with the CPU we want, great. If not, get the "holdover" of your choice (new vs auction/refurb; iBook vs 12" PB; etc.). Sounds like a good plan. Unless one is patient enough to wait for the 15" AlBooks to come out. But at this point, I'm just itching to spend money on something! I'll be damned if I won't use Apple's next laptop announcement as an excuse to do so.
  • Reply 347 of 873
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Another benefit (to Apple) is that a good number of back to school shoppers might cave and buy a much higher margin G5 since it's the only "new" product.

I thought that the PBs were the highest margin products in their line.
  • Reply 348 of 873
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

I thought that the PBs were the highest margin products in their line.

I admit I have no hard data for this assertion, but considering the recent price drops on the PBs and the fact that the G5s start at $2k, I think it's a safe bet.
  • Reply 349 of 873
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

Here is the scoop from macdoobie:

They might be right on the timing but they have the story completely backwards. The 7457 wasn't due until Q4 this year; the rumor that it has been brought forward to Q3 is why we're all expecting it in a PowerBook.
  • Reply 350 of 873
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My suspicion is that this case design is there to ramp rapidly. There is nothing to indicate that the chips currently in the machine are running that hot that they need nine fans. It is very possible that they may need the extra fans when the new 970 revs come out. At 2.5 or 3 GHz the extra fans may be important.

In any event remember this is a zone cooled machine. Not all of the fans are allocated to cooling the CPU's. As to what the real power disapation is with the 970's is that is hard to say. When running full out I could see them soaking up a good amount of power, but I really think that the 97 watt value refers to two processors.

The one thing people seem to ignore is the support chips. Considering everything being done outside the CPU and the speeds its being done at the support chips have to be eating up some amps. Knowing Apple though we will never find out just what the power usage is.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by chazmox

Ok! Ok! You got me! I'll admit I am wrong!

And, oh yea!, the nine fans are needed in the PowerMac because nine fans are QUIETER than one. Even though they had fanless designs in the Cube and a VERY quiet fan in a iMac, they decided to use 9 fans because every computer buyer things fan tech is SOOO cool. And they used the largest heat sinks I have ever seen and the most free airflowing case I have ever seen just by chance!

( Note: I too seriously believe the nine fan design would be quieter than one fan; however, that does not negate the fact that the parts are hot and Apple had to design a special cooling system for the devices. )

But believe whatever you want... it doesn't matter to me!

• Reply 351 of 873
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Now, I'm happy today, but I'm sad tomorrow,

What a life for me!

Monday's gladness, Tuesday's sorrow, oh,

The next day is full of ecstacy!

Oh, now, I never know what the night will bring,

When I awake each morn at the dawn,

Whether I must cry or whether I must sing,

Oh, Lord, why was I born?

My heart is full of devotion,

But through cloudy skies, I now realize,

Hmm, now you control my every emotion,

Hmm, with just one look into your lovely eyes.

Now, I'm happy today, but I'm sad tomorrow,

What a life for me!

Monday's gladness, Tuesday's sorrow,

But the next day is full of ecstacy!
  • Reply 352 of 873
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Um, is this new?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00009APE3

Oops, no, that's the SuperDrive version.

But the combo 12" is now offered by J&R, not Amazon directly? (And hence not eligible for their $100 off)

And it's 5-7 days at the Apple Store...
  • Reply 353 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

Um, is this new?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00009APE3

Interesting on that Amazon page, "This item is not stocked or has been discontinued."
  • Reply 354 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    This is interesting...

I've been tracking "out-of-stock" bullets on PowerBook Central. The combined total for last Monday ( 7/14/03 ) was 9 "out-of stocks" and the Apple store was at 5-7 days for both 12 inch models and 1-3 days on the superdrive version of the 15 inch PB.

Today, the combined "out-of-stocks" went to 10 bullets and Apple deliveries have not changed.

Add to this that Amazon is essentially reporting out-of-stock on both 12 inch models...

Can anyone confirm the Australian rumor of stock being removed from shelves?
  • Reply 355 of 873
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    UK store has estimated build of "Same Day" for the 15" PB with SuperDrive ! ! !
  • Reply 356 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Gee, could there really be new PBs tomorrow? Wouldn't that be thrilling? Well, it could also be another no show dissappointment but let's try to look on the bright side.

• Reply 357 of 873
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    I hope they released this tuesday the PowerBook G4 12" rev. B with the features we all want.

jdl
  • Reply 358 of 873
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

So they notice the similarity as well, Apple just reduced some specs, and the price. But it is the same machine at heart.

It's not a dual-processor machine. I couldn't be sure that was made clear in their statement.
  • Reply 359 of 873
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's not a dual-processor machine. I couldn't be sure that was made clear in their statement.

I don't understand what you are saying. The "old" OS 9 bootable machine was a dual 1.25. The "new" machine is a dual 1.25 and a single 1.25. It is all the same machine (some mother board, case, etc). The only differences are the amounts of ram stock, stock hd.

My whole point has been that this is not some new machine by Apple. They didn't go out and R&D a new board, new this, new that. This machine was offered in the past, and billed as the OS 9 bootable machine.
  • Reply 360 of 873
    g5powerg5power Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

I hope they released this tuesday the PowerBook G4 12" rev. B with the features we all want.

jdl

Does anyone know- has Apple ever announced new products at Siggraph?

San Diego, Jul 27-Jul 31