New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 361 of 873
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chazmox

I've been tracking "out-of-stock" bullets on PowerBook Central. The combined total for last Monday ( 7/14/03 ) was 9 "out-of stocks" and the Apple store was at 5-7 days for both 12 inch models and 1-3 days on the superdrive version of the 15 inch PB.

Today, the combined "out-of-stocks" went to 10 bullets and Apple deliveries have not changed.

Oop, Apple just went to 3-5 days on both 12".

Is that a good or a bad sign? I can't tell.

God, we're pathetic.
  • Reply 362 of 873
    bigjbigj Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

Oop, Apple just went to 3-5 days on both 12".

Is that a good or a bad sign? I can't tell.

God, we're pathetic.

The 10 Gb iPod is also 3-5 days. It means nothing.
  • Reply 363 of 873
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

I am almost certain.

22 days letter, this thread is still there.

Here is my prediction :

there will be at least one new powerbook : the 15 alu. The dealine for his release his Apple expo Paris.
  • Reply 364 of 873
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I don't understand what you are saying. The "old" OS 9 bootable machine was a dual 1.25. The "new" machine is a dual 1.25 and a single 1.25. It is all the same machine (some mother board, case, etc). The only differences are the amounts of ram stock, stock hd.

My whole point has been that this is not some new machine by Apple. They didn't go out and R&D a new board, new this, new that. This machine was offered in the past, and billed as the OS 9 bootable machine.

Before the G5 the same machine was not OS 9 bootable. That's the difference.
  • Reply 365 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

In fact they where two versions : the dual 1,25 ghz one (same genaration than the Dual 1,42), and the old dual 1,25 ghz OS 9 bootable one.
  • Reply 366 of 873
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

You are incorrect. The dual 1.25 available today was avialble with the last round of G4s. It was not on the front page of G4 machine, but rather it was a on a seperate page. The only "new" machine is the single 1.25, and it is really not anything new (they just used a different daughter card).
  • Reply 367 of 873
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

22 days letter, this thread is still there.

I wonder how many millions of dollars this thread has cost the companies that we work for in lost productivity I know I have wasted many hours checking if the new books are out yet. Being self employed I may have to let myself go if this behavior doesn't stop.
  • Reply 368 of 873
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

I wonder how many millions of dollars this thread has cost the companies that we work for in lost productivity I know I have wasted many hours checking if the new books are out yet. Being self employed I may have to let myself go if this behavior doesn't stop.

You should try what I do: I tell myself that I'm allowed to purchase a song from iTMS if, while I'm listening to it, I go and do X small work-related task. Not only am I quick to accept my offer, but I find that I then frequently get in the groove and do even more work.

You should try it!
  • Reply 369 of 873
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    For months there have been rumors about the next 15" PowerBook that haven't panned out. This makes me wonder about a couple of things I've heard about the next ~15" display:

15.4": Why is this 0.2" increase in screen size assumed by so many people? Because 15.4" LCD panels are a standard commodity part? Because, in spite of all of the unsubstantiated rumors, this one rumor has some reliable basis in insider information?

1280x800 resolution: I haven't heard this mentioned in a while, but I remember months ago hearing it stated as nearly unquestionable fact that the next 15" PowerBook would have a 1280x800 display, -- 54 fewer lines of vertical resolution than the current 15" PowerBook, and no more horizontal resolution. Again, is this a commodity part issue? Is it a based on speculation or actual knowledge that Apple wants to standardize on a 16:10 aspect ratio for all wide screen display, even if it means given up some useful screen real estate to do it?
  • Reply 370 of 873
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

For months there have been rumors about the next 15" PowerBook that haven't panned out. This makes me wonder about a couple of things I've heard about the next ~15" display:

15.4": Why is this 0.2" increase in screen size assumed by so many people? Because 15.4" LCD panels are a standard commodity part? Because, in spite of all of the unsubstantiated rumors, this one rumor has some reliable basis in insider information?

The 15.4" is from various sources, including El Reg and others. Note that all that's been confirmed is that there's a contract to build the things, that they include the magical 15.4" figure, and that it'll be the "second half of this year" (which also lines up with the Q3 estimate for Motorola's new G4.)

Actually, if people had been reading the tea leaves, stories like the above pretty much confirmed we wouldn't see a July release - if manufacturing starts second half of the year, then 1st July would have been the earliest they could start making the things. It takes more than a few weeks to get them started, tested, shipped to warehouses in the US, shipped to stores, etc.

It seems reasonable to me.
  • Reply 371 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

AI is certainly a nightmare for productivities of companies.

The next time you will get an interview, if they ask : do you know Apple Insider ? reply no, or you will be fired before getting the job
  • Reply 372 of 873
    Why can't they just pre-announce them like they did with the PowerMac G5s? At least then people could get their orders in and maybe have them ship in time for school. Sheesh.
  • Reply 373 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    Quote:

The 15.4" is from various sources, including El Reg and others. Note that all that's been confirmed is that there's a contract to build the things, that they include the magical 15.4" figure, and that it'll be the "second half of this year" (which also lines up with the Q3 estimate for Motorola's new G4.)

Actually, if people had been reading the tea leaves, stories like the above pretty much confirmed we wouldn't see a July release - if manufacturing starts second half of the year, then 1st July would have been the earliest they could start making the things. It takes more than a few weeks to get them started, tested, shipped to warehouses in the US, shipped to stores, etc.

It seems reasonable to me

Actually, the Register article said "shipping 15.4in PowerBooks in the second half of the year" not that manufacturing starts.

Also, I would question the veracity of the source of this article considering that Digitimes released a similar article in January right after release of the 12 and 17 inch models. In that article, shipping was to begin in the Feb-March timeframe.

Compal has shipped several other branded PC's in this timeframe that use this screen - maybe there has been some confusion there.

MacWhispers also popularized the 15.4 inch screen back in the earlier part of this year. MacWhispers has a poor accuracy for rumors.

I am not saying that a 15.4 inch screen is an impossibility or will not happen. However, the sources for the rumor of the 15.4 inch screen have been wrong on multiple accounts; therefore, I put little weight into the 15.4 screen in the new PB.
  • Reply 374 of 873
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Why can't they just pre-announce them like they did with the PowerMac G5s? At least then people could get their orders in and maybe have them ship in time for school. Sheesh.

Apple must have a large quantity of PB still in stock that they have to get rid of. Poor Macmall.com still has hundreds I believe.
  • Reply 375 of 873
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

It seems reasonable to me.

It is quite difficult to forecast a release date for something when you are the one working on a project. It is orders of magnitude more difficult when you are outside the loop with just scraps of information to go by. From what I've read I guess the new PB will be available any day now. Could be tomorrow, could be weeks from now. Certainly the pressure is on the engineers to to get the product out the door. However, if they are facing parts shortages from any vendor (not to pick on Motorola) there is nothing they can do.

Shetline:

I've not seen much about the resolution of the new screen. The article in the Taiwan press seems to be the most solid information we have and they only state that it is a 15.4" screen. For some reason 15.4" seems to be a common size. If you google that you get a lot of hits. If you check resolution then 1280 x 800 is a common size. Other than that you get some ultra-high density sizes. If Apple bought a standard size prices would be lower. On the other hand, it might not be that hard to make a slightly different resolution and since Apple would purchase over 100,000 a quarter there might not be much difference in price.

1280 x 800 is a 16:10 ratio

1280 x 854 is a 15:10 ratio

1280 x 720 is a 16:9 ratio

1350 x 900 is a 15:10 ratio [edit]

I agree with many others, I would like to see a slight increase in the screen resolution for this laptop. Going to 900 vertical and keeping the current aspect ratio yields 1350 horizontal. This would be a good compromise. Less pixels than the 17" PB but still a tasty increase.
  • Reply 376 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Some rumors floating around today about things to come with some mention of the new PBs but no one wants to say much about when to expect them. The usual caveats apply, grains of salt and all that.

macnews
    Quote:

Apple _plans_ on bringing the G5+ processor (smaller die size) to a PowerBook near you, but that'll take at least another 10-12 months from now. This leaves room for one, if not two, iterations for the G4 PowerBooks. Next up: 12, 15 and 17 inch models with 1.25 and 1.33 GHz.

As has been reported by MacBidouille recently, The iBook has been questioned. However, according to our own source, Apple will definitely keep one 12" entry-level iBook. With PowerBooks getting SuperDrives as defaults, the low-end iBook will get a Combo drive. This will leave 4 notebook models for the user to choose from instead of 6-8, depending on how you're counting.

From Tuesday's (7/22) MacOSRumors
    Quote:

Expanding further on our previous reports about USB 2.0 support being added to the next round of Powerbooks, we have heard from some of our oldest and most reliable sources in Cupertino that all of Apple's systems, except perhaps for the eMac, will have USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 by early next year. Some, notably the iMac and the Powerbook, will get it before the end of the year -- the iBook may have one more revision to go before it gets these features sometime in later Winter or early Spring 2004.

It is very likely that no Mac will get USB 2 without also getting upgraded to Firewire 800 at the same time.

Aside from the caveats, track records should also be considered. Still, there's nothing unreasonable here.
  • Reply 377 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's sure going to look neat when it arrives. I was looking at some nice photos of the 17" and imagining it just a tad smaller and just as thin.

Just knowing that it'll have FireWire 800, USB 2, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, possible faster SuperDrive, nice graphics card, etc. makes me excited...feeling like that's going to be quite a modern, no-compromise machine!

I was going to buy one of those cool little USB flash/thumb drives, but maybe I'll just wait a bit longer and be sure to get a USB 2 model (most PC-using buddies of mine have USB 2 on their computers, so why not? Especially if I'll have it on my new PowerBook!

I found an orange translucent on online too, no less!

I'm THERE.
  • Reply 378 of 873
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It's sure going to look neat when it arrives. I was looking at some nice photos of the 17" and imagining it just a tad smaller and just as thin.

Just knowing that it'll have FireWire 800, USB 2, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, possible faster SuperDrive, nice graphics card, etc. makes me excited...feeling like that's going to be quite a modern, no-compromise machine!

I was going to buy one of those cool little USB flash/thumb drives, but maybe I'll just wait a bit longer and be sure to get a USB 2 model (most PC-using buddies of mine have USB 2 on their computers, so why not? Especially if I'll have it on my new PowerBook!

I found an orange translucent on online too, no less!

I'm THERE.

You know, USB 2.0 flash drives aren't any faster than the USB 1.1 model. The solid state memory these types of drives use is freaking slow and can't keep up with either interface.
  • Reply 379 of 873
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I wish Apple would take pre-orders for unnanounced products....

MSKR
  • Reply 380 of 873
    mclaptopmclaptop Posts: 12member
    MSKR: I wish Apple would take pre-orders for unnanounced products....