Camcorder for Data Back-Up? (tape drive)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is this possible? I was just thinking about it since at MWCP the Canon guy was talking about how many GBs of data a miniDV cartridge holds.

Is it possible to basically send computer data to the miniDV tape and archive it like that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i wouldn't trust it.

sure a DV tape can hold GBs of data, but there's little to no error correction. which is okay for video, but devestating to data.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dale soreldale sorel Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Is it possible to basically send computer data to the miniDV tape and archive it like that?

Yes 8)
  • Reply 3 of 15
    It's possible, sure, but if you're even pondering it I'm very, very, very grateful that you are not in charge of implementing backup plans for my data

If DV was designed to backup data, we'd have DV tape drives for doing just that. Face it, data is a lot more sensitive than video... everything that gets dropped onto the tape needs to be pristine to bring it back off. With video you can suffer some degradation losses and still get an image to appear... but try doing that with your data.

DV is just not data grade tape. Sorry. Your data won't be safe on a DV tape, and if integrity cannot be guaranteed, what is the point of backing up to the tape anyhow? Murphy's law, man... when something goes wrong, the data you need is going to be on that DV tape that has been re-written on a few times and is now unreadable.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    point taken.

But I thought the whole thing about DV was that it was encoded as data and ones and zeros. So i don't see how you can say that video can suffer and be alright but data cant.

im confused on that
  • Reply 5 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

point taken.

But I thought the whole thing about DV was that it was encoded as data and ones and zeros. So i don't see how you can say that video can suffer and be alright but data cant.

im confused on that

I think he just meant that every last bit being in place isn't that important for a DV stream, but for mission critical files, that sort of data integrity risk isn't worth it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

But I thought the whole thing about DV was that it was encoded as data and ones and zeros.

Exactly

Anything you record into your DV camcorder will be stored digitally, in all its digital perfection. I wouldn't worry about it
  • Reply 7 of 15
    but wouldnt a bit error screw up a DV stream too???

so, say there is a bit error somewhere and I have an archive of digital photos on the tape. Would the whole thing be ruined or just a photo or two?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

but wouldnt a bit error screw up a DV stream too???

so, say there is a bit error somewhere and I have an archive of digital photos on the tape. Would the whole thing be ruined or just a photo or two?

Only the occasional file would be corrupt. Errors in DV streams would probably amount to a pixel in a field being red instead of green or something like that.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    alright that makes sense.

But i guess you're right, its not a trusted media to back up to.

Oh well. Would have been convenient
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Thanks Eugene.

The tape itself isn't really rated for this sort of thing. While I personally use AIT, if you're currently not doing ANY backups of your priceless data, any backup plan is better than none at all.

We've had some heated debates about backing up data in the genius bar in the past if it is a topic that interests you...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Could make a lot of space offloading p0rn though...hey it's not data it's video.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    an another cons against camcorder for Data Back-Up is the lack of reliability of a camcorder as a tape player.

Camcorder are not reliable tape player. Using a camcorder as a regular tape player, will lead your camcorder to the repair shop.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Which is why I'm surprised that some enterprising third party hasn't come up with a backup solution that uses DV tape.

Since camcorder parts are so cheap (relatively speaking) shouldn't someone be able to build a fairly inexpensive solution that has error correction?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    It's because better, more cost effective, solutions exist. AIT and DAT to name two of the most popular. I can fit 200GB of data onto an AIT tape. The drive mechanisms are also very reliable, as are the tapes. The format was specifically designed from the ground up to serve the purpose of data backup. It is important to note that DV was not. DV was designed for video.

Let's look at it this way. If AIT can hold so much data, why doesn't someone shove an AIT drive into a camcorder?

It's about picking the right tools for the job
  • Reply 15 of 15
    OK everybody, said DV Backup has both error correction and verification: http://www.coolatoola.com/

I like the one about damaging your camcorder by using it for data, that's a good one