Questions about getting a Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, I want to get out of this God Forsaken Windows environment. I can't take it anymore! I was looking at a PowerMac G4 (link below) and I had a few questions.

First, how much can this computer grow? I don't want to buy another for awhile. My uses will be mainly audio recording (not pro by far), minor video editing and average everyday tasks (web surfing, AIM etc). I'm not that much of a gamer anymore so I'm not worried about the amount of games. Could I upgrade the sound card/video card down the road?

Second, I have an ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder in my current PC, can I use this in my Mac as a second video card? I need it's capture capabilities for my analog camcorder. It's PCI by the way. I'm currently running a two monitor set up on my PC.

Third, can I use my current monitor on the Mac? Sure, I would like a nice Mac display but I'm on a budget.

Lastly, any tips you could give about shopping for a Mac and getting it up and running would be helpful. Thanks for reading!

The Mac: http://www.macconnection.com/scripts...duct_id=351177

EDIT: Sloppy Spelling

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    If you don't want to buy another for a while and want the machine to grow with you for a few years, stump up the extra $600 and get a G5 from the Apple Store.

A big advantage for you would be the optical audio in and out.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by FunkyShepherd

First, how much can this computer grow? I don't want to buy another for awhile. My uses will be mainly audio recording (not pro by far), minor video editing and average everyday tasks (web surfing, AIM etc). I'm not that much of a gamer anymore so I'm not worried about the amount of games. Could I upgrade the sound card/video card down the road?

This computer can grow quite a bit. If you wish, you can put up to 2048 MB (2 GB) DDR SDRAM and also upgrade the video card easily (it has an AGP 4x slot). Currently, the best you could put in it is the Radeon 9800 with 128 MB RAM sold by ATI. I believe Audigy sells a nice 7.1 soundcard that you can add to it as well. If that's not enough, later on down the line you can upgrade the processor to dual G4s (sold by Powerlogix) or just put in a faster G4. You can also add in more hard drives if you wish-you could even cannibalize your old PC's hard drives to use in this mac. Basically, it has a lot of upgrade potential.

Quote:

Second, I have an ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder in my current PC, can I use this in my Mac as a second video card? I need it's capture capabilities for my analog camcorder. It's PCI by the way. I'm currently running a two monitor set up on my PC.

I don't know if the Radeon All-in-Wonder PCI can be flashed to work in the mac. I do know that it will not work right out of the box (to the best of my knowledge). Try looking at xlr8yourmac.com, they are an excellent resource to use if you wish to upgrade your computer.

Quote:

Third, can I use my current monitor on the Mac? Sure, I would like a nice Mac display but I'm on a budget.

YES! I cannot stress this enough, you CAN indeed use your old PC monitors with this new mac. The one you linked to (an most macs sold nowadays) comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor if your old monitors have VGA cables, and DVI is built in so you can use monitors with DVI as well. Nothing like a nice Apple display though to go with the ADC port and reduce the cable clutter .

Quote:

Lastly, any tips you could give about shopping for a Mac and getting it up and running would be helpful. Thanks for reading!

I'll let someone else help you out with this, (I'm typing this from work and my antibody stains are ready to go!)

Blueflame