PC Card TV tuner for OS X?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does one exist?

I'm looking to get a tv tuner and hopefully FM tuner for my Powerbook. The formac external one looks alright but if there were a PC card tuner that would rock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I don't know of a pc card mac tv tuner, but you may want to checkout http://www.eskapelabs.com/mytv2go.html

It is ext., but it's cheap.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    There is that nice new PCI card TV tuner that was just announced a few weeks ago. I posted a thread on it, but I cannot remember the name. But of course you are looking for a PC card solution. Can't really help you there. I really wish Apple would include this standard in their Powermacs and their Powerbooks. It would be a MAJOR selling point, expecially for video editors such as myself. I know Steve feels it does not fit the "Digital hub" concept. But he needs to simply shut up and do what we want him to for once. Lol. Sorry. I just wish Apple would "Think different" in these areas. I know of NO laptops with tv tuners, let alone decent ones. The external ones "work" but hq TV Tuners built in would rock.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    A PC Card TV tuner would sell like hotcakes. I'm surprised there isn't one. Too bad I have a 12"...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

There is that nice new PCI card TV tuner that was just announced a few weeks ago. I posted a thread on it, but I cannot remember the name. But of course you are looking for a PC card solution.

You're thinking about Televio, which comes from this German company (like Formac).

Any way, I don't know if any PC Card solution, but that may not be ideal with wires and dangly things sprouting from your Powerbook. Might I suggest El Gato's EyeTV? It's USB-based, and the quality is about as good as VHS (I see very little difference between their Standard and High Quality setting, although High Quality takes up twice as much space).

The convenience of watching shows later is cool, though. The files are simple MPEG-1 files that you can play in Quicktime. I can also hook it up to my PowerMac and record programs on it instead of the iBook. That's harder to do with a PC Card solution.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why do people still use MPEG-1 instead of MPEG-4. *cough* eyeTV et al
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Meilenstein also makes the OEM drivers for another PCI TV card: The Gravision TVa, offered by Gravis (one of the biggest german Mac dealers, not to be confused with joystick makers).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why do people still use MPEG-1 instead of MPEG-4. *cough* eyeTV et al

I agree, but I'd be happy even with MPEG-2.