iPod music vs. iTunes on computer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I had a problem with sound from my iPod since I got it. At first I thought it was because acc didn't sound as natural and thus more synthetic. (since all my music is in aac)

However, I learned today when I was playing a same song on my computer that it sound different. I am using the same earphones.

The sound from my mac sound a lot more natural and resonant. The sound from the iPod rather flat and synthetic.

Does anyone feel the same thing or am I losing my mind?

P.S. Danika Cleary rocks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I require sampling. Can you host the song somewhere for us to hear?

Danika cleary rocks my boxers.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There is a sound enhancer built into iTunes. It is probably on. I think it is in under preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Of course check your equalizer settings on each too -- I find that the flat EQ makes things sound more canned than just turning off the EQ. Also check whether you have sound check on for either the iPod or iTunes, as this might make some songs sound more quiet or muffled in order to give about the same dB output. Finally, as Ebby said, check to see if the sound Enhancer in iTunes is on, which the iPod doesn't have.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Actually, I always have sound enhancer off and equalizer set to off (on the ipod). (since they sometimes create undesired noise in certain earphones)

Sound check is off on both (but it isn't a problem of volume)

It isn't a difference of volume because even if I drive the vol in the ipod up, it still sounds unnatural.

This is what's driving me mad.

eq's flat on my iPod too so they technically should sound the same.

Well, you see, it isn't just with a song. It's with all songs. I see the most difference with classical piano pieces.

Actually I went trough some songs and I'm pretty certain this is happening.

It isn't a difference of volume because even if I drive the vol in the ipod up, it still sounds unnatural.
  • Reply 5 of 8
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You need to exclude a few more variables to find out the cause.

* Listen to iTunes and the iPod through the same set of headphones (edit: I see you've got this covered)

* Rip the same song as mp3, aiff and aac and see if they are all affected

* Rip the song at a range of different kbps (including 128kbps). If you've set the bitrate above this level (unnecessary, imho) then you may be making the iPod work too hard.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Voltage Output

Stability in Voltage Output

Resistance

All your comparisons would deal with are the differences in the 2 output devices you are trying to compare.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

You need to exclude a few more variables to find out the cause.

* Rip the same song as mp3, aiff and aac and see if they are all affected

* Rip the song at a range of different kbps (including 128kbps). If you've set the bitrate above this level (unnecessary, imho) then you may be making the iPod work too hard.

It seems like the problem is only apparent with AAC. I have not tried other bit rates as I'm only going to use 128.

Mp3 seems to sound the same.

Could it be because the aac decoder on the iPod isn't doing a good job?