Bring Back the Cube Reloaded!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59764,00.html

Only a blind man or Steve Jobs can't figure out that it's time to bring back the Cube.....

If people are this willing to keep and cherish their Cubes, and if Powerlogix can make a freaking mint off of upgrading them, what is the impediment?

choice quotes:

Quote:

Kemplar, an online computer boutique that sells sleek sub-notebooks, fancy cell phones and other trendy devices, has just started selling a line of upgraded Cubes.

Equipped with a 1.2-GHz G4 chip, a CD-RW, an Nvidia GeForce 3 video card, 1 GB of RAM and a 120-GB hard drive, the $2,000 machines are selling at a brisk pace.

Quote:

In Japan, several companies sell special upgrade components for the Cube, including one company that sells special Cube cooling fans. Thanks to its small footprint, the Cube has a strong following in Japan.

Quote:

Shortly, PowerLogix plans to release a 1.4-GHz G4 processor for the Cube, which will make the Cube faster than the fastest single-processor Power Mac currently available from Apple, which tops out at 1.2 GHz.

In about six weeks, PowerLogix will follow up with a dual 1.6-GHz processor upgrade card, which will make the Cube faster than Apple's current dual 1.4-GHz Power Macs. (emphasis added)

Bonus FH question: where is Powerlogix getting 1.6 GHz G4's????

ps - follow the link in my sig to sign the online petition

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I don't think the cube is worth bringing back. If you want something small and stylish then buy a 17" iMac. If you want something with power then order your G5 and try to relax until it ships.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59764,00.html

Only a blind man or Steve Jobs can't figure out that it's time to bring back the Cube.....

They certainly are enchanting machines. I have every intention of keeping mine until it falls apart.

Quote:

Bonus FH question: where is Powerlogix getting 1.6 GHz G4's????

They aren't getting it anywhere, which is why they aren't selling that card yet. It'll arrive when Mot ships the 7457.

I'd love to see the Cube, or something like it, come back, but I can understand if Apple is a lot more careful about how they position it and what expectations they have of it this time around.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Just thinking out loud here, but I think the biggest problem with a new Cube is the iMac occupying the middle ground. By 'problem' I don't mean to imply that the iMac is a bad product at all, btw. I'm just conceding that having two 'middle' machines might be problematic. There would have to be some way to make them different. And I don't know what that would be.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    um like wtf is the point of this

"CubeOwner.com's Duncan said she soon plans to sell a larger Cube case to accommodate bigger cards and processors, and to allow more air to circulate inside. Measuring 10 inches by 10 inches, the case (see photo) should be available in about six weeks, she said."

The whole point of the cube is that it looks cool and apple made it, why on earth would you want to buy this
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The Cube Rules. It's tagline should be

"The Powermac G5 Cube...the Silence is Deafening"
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

The whole point of the cube is that it looks cool and apple made it, why on earth would you want to buy this

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. If she sells more than the one she makes for herself, I'll be amazed.

offtopic: This is one sweet set-up.

• Reply 7 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

yep, i would have to agree. damn.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Stylish, but poorly positioned speakers. Another entry from the "I stick speakers wherever they look nice, or in whatever space in left over to fit them in, because I don't have the slightest idea of how stereo works" school of design.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Stylish, but poorly positioned speakers. Another entry from the "I stick speakers wherever they look nice, or in whatever space in left over to fit them in, because I don't have the slightest idea of how stereo works" school of design.

Let me guess...you're from the "I spent $4k on my home theater setup-there must be a difference!" school of design.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    macubusmacubus Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Let me guess...you're from the "I spent $4k on my home theater setup-there must be a difference!" school of design.

Shetline's right, and there is a difference in sound to a point between higher end systems and many normal systems, such as the soundsticks and isub.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Hmm I fail to see what,s wrong with the setup. Remember when using the computer you will be sitting about 2 - 3 foot max away from the screen....

G
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah if they're placed poorly, then how would YOU place them that would make it so much better?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    The right speaker is the problem.....the sound is beig channelled out because of the glass divider. The full clear stereo effect is thwarted.

OTOH, they are soundsticks, so who gives a crap? Look good, sure. Sound like ass? Yup.

I just like the overall futurism circa 1967 look going on there.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Actually that larger cube shows that there is definitely potential to make a slightly larger cube with a bit better internal expansion.

I dunno if I would make it as big as she did, it's really not that bad and could be cleaned up nicely. But, I sure would make it a little bigger than the original, about half way between that custom made box and the original.

I think that the iMac will get cheaper, the PM will keep it's current prices but sprout more Dual configs and single G5's will slot into a mid range between iMac and PM. If Apple can get the iMac down to 1299, then there's a lot of space between an iMac and a PM for a true affordable headless machine.