it is really mean to declaw a cat.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i don't buy your statements one bit. one of our cats was declawed and it was always shaking it's paws for no apparent reason. i know it was due to being declawed. also, it was always careful when jumping down from things as well

there are lots of outdoor cats in neighborhood. one of our other cats is declawed, she goes outside. this cats doesn't shake her paws but she is careful when jumping down

cats are loyal and just as intellegent as dog if not more so. my cats come when called and they are constantly on my lap and seeking attention

maybe the procedure is painless but the after effects are not

dog are so dumb, they don't even clean up after they poo, they just leave it. then you have the dignity of picking it after them cats go in a nice box and cover it up. yes i think dogs are stupid, they are. all they do is jump and slober all over you. they're like imature hyperactive little kids

Cats Declawing:

1. How can you be sure shaking of the paw is because of declawing...not to mention what effect does this have?

2. If you let your cat outdoors and roam, you should let it have claws

Dogs Are Dumb:

1. You CAN train a dog to go in one place...and I'd rather it be outdoors then inside, because beyond what you say, normally if you have a cat, you can smell it even if it is just within several feet of the litter box

2. Have you ever had a dog? If so a trained dog? Dogs do not jump up on people and unless you get certain breeds I REALLY have not come across many slobbering dogs. I do not see that licking yourself makes you any cleaner...licking your ass does not make you a clean animal.

I'll admit I'm a dog lover, and am not a big cat fan, although I don't really have a problem with them...I guess.

P.S. - I think it shows dogs are smarter by them being higher in the food chain and most dogs being able to take cats in fight (med-large breeds)...if cats were so smart they would devise a way not to lose or work in numbers, like humans haha.

P.P.S - Speaking of squirrels, am I the only one who would LOVE to have a pet squirrel?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    For the whole dog vs cat intelligence arguement, it really just depends on what dog and what cat you are talking about.

not all breeds of dog act the same way, some are much dopier than others, some have that same haughty attitude that many cats display, so it's unfair to state dogs are smarter because of XYZ, when cats have their own perks too.

For instance, my old cat was incredibly loving to humans, he always came up to us and gave us a lot of attention and was a really nice cat(in this respect he was no different than a dog) when it came to hunting, he was vicious as all hell, he killed a whole burrow of rabbits mercilessly, took out birds, squirrels, mice...everything. When he first met our dog, the dog barked incessantly, the cat hissed a little, and manuevered around the dog, until my cat just swiped her clear accross the face, in which case the dog ran away crying.

But on the total other side of hte spectrum, friends of mine have cats that are more furniture than animals, they just sit around, allow themselves to be picked up, eat when it's time to eat, sit around...sit around...sit around. While the dogs of the family run around greeting family and friends, playing games, and being fun.

there are things dogs do well that cats generally do not do, and there are things that cats do that dogs generally do not do. I used to be a cat-lover, now I am more of a dog-person, but I still love cats equally. My keeshond is a great dog, she is very intelligent, and loving.

I like that cats make you work for their affection, and that cats are generally harder animals to domesticate and enjoy around the house. But I also appreciate that never-ending and unconditional love distributed by dogs, I think that it is a great thing to have both animals, rather than just side with one camp and diss the other.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This cat vs dog is sterile speculation.

Cat's and dogs are differents animal. both of them are predators, and that's why they are differents.

One is not superior as the other. Cat's are not only cute they are intelligents animals that express their intelligence in a different way than dogs.

Dogs hunt in group in the widlife, and there is a hierarchy among them, that's why they obey to a chief, aka the master (sometimes it's a reverse, and it leads to problems).

Cat's are lonely hunters that have a territory, but who also like to share times in common aeras with others cats. Cat's do not obey, people love or hate them for that.

Cat's have feeling for their master, but for good masters only, they would not like soemone who take badly care of them, at the contrary of a dog, who will like his master even if he beat him badly.

Some cats have made hundred of kilometers in order to find their master.

Cat's and dog can leave peacefully together and being the best friends. I went to diner with some of my friends at their house. They have two dogs and a siamese cat.

Some years ago, a Labrador start to hurt very seriously their dog, bitten his neck and shaking him badly like a puppet. The master of the dangerous dog did not arrive to separate it. The cat, jump on him, and bite and claws his face. The dog stop bitting, but the master did not have the time to separate them, the labrador start bitting the poor dog again, the cat jump an another time in fury, the dog start crying, and then run after the cat. The cat climbed in a tree, and the master have the time to save the poor dog. His neck was broken and he suffered paralysis, with the help of a minerva, and corticoids, he survive. Now he is in a relative good shape, even if he has problems to walk.

PS : the cat was 4 pounds, and the labrador was more than 80 pounds.

Only rabbit are cute but stupid. People are not obliged to have cats and thus are not obliged to declaw them.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

2. Have you ever had a dog? If so a trained dog? Dogs do not jump up on people and unless you get certain breeds I REALLY have not come across many slobbering dogs*. I do not see that licking yourself makes you any cleaner...licking your ass does not make you a clean animal.

From what I understand cat saliva is much stronger than humans and serves as a cleaning agent rather well. In that respect the various cleaning and grooming that cats do, is very effective and makes them clean. Although I do read that you are suggesting it's not how often they clean themselves that dictates if they are a "clean" animal. It's what they did to get dirty in the first place. I think that is a rather silly point to make because there are a million ways to get dirty, the fact that cats are conscious about cleaning themselves shows that they are not only intelligent enough to not want be covered in shit all day, but that they are "clean" animals. I certainly can not say the same about dogs, many of whom couldn't care less if they are covered in their own crap, or mud or whatever, and then they shy away from the idea of being cleaned. (obviously this isn't a constant, but it is more apparent in dogs than in cats)

The act of grooming is not just about grooming, it's also about familiarizing the animal with it's environment, and when cats openly groom around you it shows that they are comfortable with you.

*YOU haven't, but why would there be such a stereotype and association with dogs that they slobber if it is a rare thing? of course not every dog slobbers, my dog has never drooled or let loose excess saliva in any way shape or form(that I know of)but many pit-bulls, boxers, great dames, labs, and mutts ...etc. are known to slobber and drool all over the place at times, there is no constant that holds true, it varies with the dog.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

The act of grooming is not just about grooming, it's also about familiarizing the animal with it's environment, and when cats openly groom around you it shows that they are comfortable with you.

*YOU haven't, but why would there be such a stereotype and association with dogs that they slobber if it is a rare thing? of course not every dog slobbers, my dog has never drooled or let loose excess saliva in any way shape or form(that I know of)but many pit-bulls, boxers, great dames, labs, and mutts ...etc. are known to slobber and drool all over the place at times, there is no constant that holds true, it varies with the dog.

Odd I couldn't see your last paragraph until I hit reply...hmph.

The first paragraph I quoted isn't really relevant so I assume you were just stating a fact, so I thank you for the knowledge.

I guess its really all opinion on which is better...dog, cat, squirrel...I'd like to have a dolphin someday but I see that being harder to accomplish then a squirrel
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Odd I couldn't see your last paragraph until I hit reply...hmph.

The first paragraph I quoted isn't really relevant so I assume you were just stating a fact, so I thank you for the knowledge.

I guess its really all opinion on which is better...dog, cat, squirrel...I'd like to have a dolphin someday but I see that being harder to accomplish then a squirrel

Yeah, I was in edit mode with that last paragraph, probably while you were replying.

it is totally opinion, with a dash of personal convenience, it is not that unlike right or left wing for your political orientation, or Mac or PC for your computer needs, or even Limes or lemons for that extra zest to guacamole.*

no real point in arguing, but it is nice to talk about.

*it's not REALLY that much like a lot of those things, but you get the idea
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If you are shot and on the ground a dog will at least whine that you are dying if they aren't chasing the person who shot you. A cat will want to find out what your blood tastes like.

Cats are not loyal animals. Their liking attention is no sign of loyalty.

I agree, I hate cats, I like Kittens, but hate cats, they are lazy, evil animals. cats are the type of animal they want YOU to do just about everything for em. and my neighbor has like 20 cats that are always coming into my yard.. I wish I could legally invent 'cat poison'(like rat poison) and use it. and not get in trouble when the cats in the neighborhood died.

Also, you cant pick up chicks with cats, you dont see people going out walking with their cat or kitten! Now, Dogs and Puppies=Chick magnet.

• Reply 28 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't hate cats, I like them. I'm allergic to them, otherwise I might very well have one because they are a lot easier to keep than a dog.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If you are shot and on the ground a dog will at least whine that you are dying if they aren't chasing the person who shot you. A cat will want to find out what your blood tastes like.

Cats are not loyal animals. Their liking attention is no sign of loyalty.

I don't believe that based on my experience.

P.S. No I have not been shot and left on the ground to die
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I don't believe that based on my experience.

P.S. No I have not been shot and left on the ground to die

I am glad you cleared that I because I was going to ask.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

I wish I could legally invent 'cat poison'(like rat poison) and use it.

When I was a child my dad shot a neighbor's cat in the ass with a bow and arrow. It was an unpointed arrow (practice arrow), but the cat didn't come within three houses of our house for ten years.

Cats are smart.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

This (below in bold) is the problem, though:

It's instinctual for cats to use their claws, and they often destroy stuff, no matter what you do to try to stop them. I'm sorry, I just don't have sympathy for cats that have been de-clawed and provided a good home, when there are so many strays and put to death.

Yes, it's instinctual, but they can be trained to not claw things. Just like a dog can be house trained or a person can be potty trained. It just takes consistency.

BTW, we can train all kinds of things, autonomic or otherwise. You're a psychologist, you should know that
  • Reply 33 of 36
    It's taken me a while but I have trained my chair to have a groove that fits my ass perfectly
  • Reply 34 of 36
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    In most cases, I would agree that declawing is cruel. I do have one exception, however, and it's not a "behaviour issue." My mother loves cats--all kinds, tailess, long haired, short-haired, etc. She has also frequently had cats with extra paws. Yes, extra paws. (We had one ourselves that had an almost completely formed second paw on each front foot--she had a dozen front toes.) Anyway, my mother has one but he could not retract the extra claws. So she had him declawed. It is the only cat she ever did that to and the only one she would. But I think it was justified. Otherwise, he is a really nice, sweet cat who doesn't seem to have any problems with the whole situation.

Now, the cat who got his tail got in table saw, that's a whole other story . . .
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Yeah de-clawing cats is cruel, but jeez it's funny when their little eyes catch sight of the band saw.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Yes i have had dog, many. i used to have to take care of my dad's hunting dogs. they are hyperactive creatures imo. i've had to clean out their sh_t filled pens more times than i can imagine. this is why i hate dogs.

every dog i encounter tries to slober on me. how do you train a dog from doing this? you can't