I Passed the ACTC Exam

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

A guy from Harvard wouldn't be applying to a typical programming job.

Why would any kid that's interested in CS attend Harvard? There are so many better choices.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyc

Why would any kid that's interested in CS attend Harvard? There are so many better choices.

Good point. If you could get into Harvard you think you'd rather go to MIT instead, right? I mean they're even practically down the street from each other
  • Reply 23 of 35
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    This is true... you can take some classes at MIT though if the topics aren't available at Harvard.

http://www.deas.harvard.edu/undergra...ience/FAQ.html

Quote:

Q: Can I cross register at courses at MIT?

Yes you can; all you do is fill out one form. Typically a few upperclassmen each year find courses in specific areas that they want to take and are not offered at Harvard.

• Reply 24 of 35
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Beleive me, the BA in CS is a booby-prize compared to a BS. AFAIK

You're kind of showing your ignorance here. Some school that are strong in the sciences don't give out BSes at all. Some schools give out a BS in CS that aren't worth shit. But you can't just declare a CS program to be unworthy because it has an "A" on the end of its degree.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    dstranathan, what study material(s) did you use to prepare for this exam?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd take a guess that reading the OS X Server Admin Guide was part of it:

http://a640.g.akamai.net/7/640/51/6d...dmin_Guide.pdf
  • Reply 27 of 35
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

I'd take a guess that reading the OS X Server Admin Guide was part of it:

http://a640.g.akamai.net/7/640/51/6d...dmin_Guide.pdf

Good to know. There may be other materials too? I'm thinking of taking one of the Apple exams (not that it would be a an advantage of any kind, what with mac being most unpopular hereabouts). I took the survey last month and am now eligible to take any of the following exams for free. Which do you think might be most advantageous?

9L0-001 Apple Desktop Service Exam

9L0-050 Mac OS Service and Support Exam

9L0-203 Apple Portable Service Exam

9L0-504 Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server Essentials v10.2 Exam

9L0-603 Mac OS X Administration and Integration v10.2 Exam

9L0-604 Mac OS X Server Administration and Integration v10.2 Exam
  • Reply 28 of 35
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

You're kind of showing your ignorance here. Some school that are strong in the sciences don't give out BSes at all. Some schools give out a BS in CS that aren't worth shit. But you can't just declare a CS program to be unworthy because it has an "A" on the end of its degree.

Im not ignorant at all. I HAVE the degree. Trust me. A BS in CS is more marketable, and a more well-rounded degree as well. If you want to be an engineer or code for a living (I don't) then a BS is better. Just an observation I have made. Anyway, I think certs are important too. Lots of real-life hands on stuff can be obtained with the right certs.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

dstranathan, what study material(s) did you use to prepare for this exam?

There is an out-of-print book (2002) from the Exam Cram series for the 10.1 ACTC cert. I used it. It was OK. I found it used at Amazon for $7.00.

I also used the 10.2 Server's Administrator's Guide (a HUGE PDF).
  • Reply 30 of 35
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "A BS in CS is more marketable,"

That part is true, but that doesn't mean that BS's beat BA's in any consistent way--in this area, YMMV greatly.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Im not ignorant at all. I HAVE the degree. Trust me. A BS in CS is more marketable, and a more well-rounded degree as well. If you want to be an engineer or code for a living (I don't) then a BS is better. Just an observation I have made. Anyway, I think certs are important too. Lots of real-life hands on stuff can be obtained with the right certs.

Trust me you are being tad ignorant here. You don't understand the history of some schools and the fact that many eastern liberal arts school only give out "A"s when they are quite strong in the "S"es. These schools got started when there were no "S"es and only "A"s. For those schools it's just a label and has nothing to do with course work or quality of the education.

I know what you are trying to say about the CS degree. I often refer to people having a "real" CS degree. The people who come out of B' schools with a computer degree are pure phonies.

You can't just discount someone's degree because it's an "A" and not an "S". You have to look at the program they came from.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Anything is better than a MCSE(Must Call Somebody Else).
  • Reply 33 of 35
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    There are several companies that offer non-Apple classes to prep for the ACTC and for the ACSA. ACTC used to be fairly easy (before Jaguar), and was made up of two tests, a basic know-Mac-OS-X test and an OS X Server test. For giggles, I took them without studying. Passed the first easily, and failed the second by two questions.

The ACTC test is now one test, and much harder. It now qualifies as a "real" certification in my book.

Resources for the ACTC:

Mac OS X Server 4-CD set from Mac Academy (helpful if you're not familiar with Terminal and specific uses of command line and offers an over-the-shoulder view of how the trainer uses the things you'll read about in the User Guide and from the Self-Assessment Guides.

The best way to pass the test is the get the Self-Assessment Guide, install and set up Mac OS X Server and practice all the stuff the guide says you should be able to do.

Just my 2 cents.

And, for the record, one should regard degrees as merely showing that you can survive the process by which they are awarded. They prove nothing else.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

And, for the record, one should regard degrees as merely showing that you can survive the process by which they are awarded. They prove nothing else.

More ignorance
  • Reply 35 of 35
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Har.