Ftp connection using Jaguar...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone at AppleInsider, new here as you can see. Having a problem connecting to an ftp server. Actually, I can connect to it, but Jaguar won't allow me to change it. Currently I have nothing in the ftp server space, but I would like to use the built in ftp function in Jaguar instead of getting a third-party application to manage my ftp server and transfer files etc.

I can connect to it and access the files through the finder (currently there are no files on it). But, when I try to drag or paste a file to the server I get an error message stating that I cannot modify the ftp connection. I can login and connect successfully. (I do have to log in with my user name and password). Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmitch

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

www.versiontracker.com

search on Transmit

try and buy if you like...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Ya, but what about Jaguars ftp built-in?? I'd rather use that if I can. Isn't there a way I can make a folder on my desktop that routes to my ftp server, so I can just drag on drop files in it? Man, wouldn't that be nice?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Ya, but what about Jaguars ftp built-in?? I'd rather use that if I can. Isn't there a way I can make a folder on my desktop that routes to my ftp server, so I can just drag on drop files in it? Man, wouldn't that be nice?

Oddly...and annoyingly enough the Jag (and every other OS X version?) is read only. Transmit is the preferred FTP by almost everyone...I still use Fetch though
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Topic: Whats The Best FTP for X?

In the Mac OS X forum. The overwhelming majority of users prefer Transmit.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Whoops -- I didn't see your post in the other thread there.

What ast3r3x said is correct. In the Finder, all FTP servers are connected as read-only and you can not upload anything to them regardless of what login/password you use. This "bug" has still not been fixed as of the current builds of Panther. You'll be better off using a 3rd party app such as Transmit.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Alright. That is annoying, but how can that be a bug? Is it going to fixed in Panther? I mean its a pretty blatant bug if you ask me. What you are implying is that OS X meant to have read/write access to ftp servers, but they dont because its a bug they haven't gotten around to fixing?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Well, FTP mounts like any other server on the desktop. We have read/write access to any other kind of server. So, why not FTP?

That's why I personally classify it as a bug. There's no good reason I can think of for locking the user out of FTP servers only.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I see your point. That is pretty damn stupid. I have an idea as to why they did not provide write access. Apple might want to keep the 3rd party ftp client developers. Think about it, if you could have read/write access to your ftp server as a mounted server on your desktop, would you use anything else? I sure as hell wouldnt.

Apple has done this with so many 3rd party developers, and is doing it more and more. They are creating their own software built right in to os x, and making it so easy and "right there", it would be stupid to use anything else. There are many examples but one of them off the top of my head that Apple just put into Panther is built in zip file compression/archiving. I dont know if anyone has seen the screenshots but it is literally built right into the crtl-click/right-click menu. This is for sure going to drive away Alladin and their StuffIt Expander. Up until now it was the default file compression software and it came with os x, now it is built right into the os interface.

Other examples...

-FinalCut Pro

-Basically the entire slew of iLife apps are so good, and so integrated and flawless with mac os x, that no one is going to use the 3rd party apps.

But you know what? I couldn't care less. Apple does everything the best. There will always be applications Apple will not get into developing.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Apple just put into Panther is built in zip file compression/archiving. I dont know if anyone has seen the screenshots but it is literally built right into the crtl-click/right-click menu. This is for sure going to drive away Alladin and their StuffIt Expander. Up until now it was the default file compression software and it came with os x, now it is built right into the os interface.

Finder allows zip compressing. Apple has only included Stuffit Expander, an app that *expands* compressed files like these. It never included Aladdin's other software titles (DropStuff, Stuffit Deluxe) for compressing files. Users have to get that on their own.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Finder allows zip compressing. Apple has only included Stuffit Expander, an app that *expands* compressed files like these. It never included Aladdin's other software titles (DropStuff, Stuffit Deluxe) for compressing files. Users have to get that on their own.

Oh right, I forgot that. Well now files can be compressed and uncompressed via finder's contextual menus.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Oh right, I forgot that. Well now files can be compressed and uncompressed via finder's contextual menus.

Again, only zip files. There are several places where people have been debating this addition and found that zip is not the optimal solution for many users. It doesn't retain permissions or resource forks. Furthermore, there is *no* option in the context menu for uncompressing files, regardless of it's a zip or anything else.

I'm starting to think you ought to wait until you've actually *used* Panther for a while before you start making judgments about how it's closing out 3rd party developers.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Again, only zip files. There are several places where people have been debating this addition and found that zip is not the optimal solution for many users. It doesn't retain permissions or resource forks. Furthermore, there is *no* option in the context menu for uncompressing files, regardless of it's a zip or anything else.

I'm starting to think you ought to wait until you've actually *used* Panther for a while before you start making judgments about how it's closing out 3rd party developers.

I'm not saying Panther is closing out 3rd party developers itself. Although there are a few things Panther has implemented into Panther that Jaguar didnt have, I was mainly saying Apple in general continues to add more built-in to their os, that they didnt previously have before. By doing this, they are taking the place of certain 3rd party developers that previously developed software for mac os, to perform a specific function. When these functions are built directly into the os, it makes the necessity of having these 3rd party apps decrease.

It's not just with the os operations. Apple's applications are superior to many other 3rd party applications, in turn they decrease those 3rd party's sales. Again, there are many types applications that Apple will probably never develop. So I am not suggesting that Apple is forcing and driving away many developers, I am only saying they are leaning some away by making a lot of things built in to their os, and making killer apps that come with the os as well. In my opinion, Apple should keep developing great software, and building things directly into their os, because it makes for a more streamlined user experience. And only Apple can offer that today. But I can say there will always be many 3rd party developers making great software for Apple.

And by the way, I'll be using Panther tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out!