Virus question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been reading about this new blaster worm that has cost alot of downtime for windoze users. My question is, what are the top 10 costliest viruses that only affects widoze users? Some that I can think of are the Melissa Virus & the Anna Kournikova virus, but I don't know how much they cost businesses. The reason that I'm asking is that I had an idea for an apple commercial.

Opens to a simple white background with black text listing the 10 viruses & how much they cost the world in money & lost productivity.

Then a transistion to a new block of text:

Number of Macs that were infected: 0

Fade to Apple logo.

Think Different

fin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    http://www.fish.co.uk/news/features/230503_virus1.htm

It's kinda outdated, its from May, but still informative.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

My question is, what are the top 10 costliest viruses that only affects widoze users?

Have any of the recent epidemics NOT exclusively affected Microsoft products? I can't remember the last report of a serious, damaging UNIX-attacking virus, but maybe that's just a sign of my young-un'ness. Has anyone ever bothered to tally the total economic cost of all these Windows-centric virii?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Lets hold up a big sign that says, I'm an apple user.... hack me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Careful though, it's not like MacOS/Darwin/BSD is immune to any virus or hacking attacks. If Apple rose to a 30% share of the market, you can bet that there would be potent viruses, exploits, and other badness to worry about.

UNIX has a good security model when compared to Classic MacOS or Windows 98. Windows NT supposedly is okay, but I've heard that under XP home everything effectively runs as "root" (not sure about that though) Still, if we flaunt the fact that all this windows virus shiznit doesn't happen to us, we might get a nasty surprise someday.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

Careful though, it's not like MacOS/Darwin/BSD is immune to any virus or hacking attacks. If Apple rose to a 30% share of the market, you can bet that there would be potent viruses, exploits, and other badness to worry about.

UNIX has a good security model when compared to Classic MacOS or Windows 98. Windows NT supposedly is okay, but I've heard that under XP home everything effectively runs as "root" (not sure about that though) Still, if we flaunt the fact that all this windows virus shiznit doesn't happen to us, we might get a nasty surprise someday.

Yep. Every app has root priveliges.

There's an explanation on the security, or lack thereof, in XP Home.

http://grc.com/dos/xpsummary.htm
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude:

Yep. Every app has root priveliges.

There's an explanation on the security, or lack thereof, in XP Home.

http://grc.com/dos/xpsummary.htm

That's funny, because I was *just* there - that's what alerted me to the bad rootness of XP home.

My landlord (well, room-lord since I'm room & boarding) told me about the site while we were discussing firewalls, virii, and similar topics, so I thought I'd take a look.

Admittedly, permissions can be a bit of an annoyance, but better that you have slightly annoying permissions than an obliterated hard drive or a zombie slave being used in a DDoS attack.