G5 Bluetooth MUST BE BTO or NEVER

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just learned in September MacWorld (p.63) that Bluetooth, unlike Airport Extreme, cannot be added later. It is attached to the motherboard and therefore MUST be BTO if you are ever going to want it. So watch out all you early adopters. If you plan on having a Bluetooth phone or PDA in the next few years you better add the BTO Bluetooth option to your early order.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    Good to know.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Multimedia

    Just learned in September MacWorld (p.63) that Bluetooth, unlike Airport Extreme, cannot be added later. It is attached to the motherboard and therefore MUST be BTO if you are ever going to want it. So watch out all you early adopters. If you plan on having a Bluetooth phone or PDA in the next few years you better add the BTO Bluetooth option to your early order.



    I am using a USB bluetooth plug in (size of a quarter) right now on a powerbook. Also using Bluetooth enabled T610 which iSynchs perfectly, as well as a Bluetooth enabled printer and headphones. guess you mean INTERNAL bluetooth enablement?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    This has always applied to BT capable Macs. Of course, you can always add a USB adapter. BT in all Macs are infact onboard USB devices.



    I'm not sure this is part of the motherboard. The P58 G4s have BT on a seperate card. Apple just won't sell anyone the card.



    Barto
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BJer

    I am using a USB bluetooth plug in (size of a quarter) right now on a powerbook. Also using Bluetooth enabled T610 which iSynchs perfectly, as well as a Bluetooth enabled printer and headphones. guess you mean INTERNAL bluetooth enablement?



    G5 Bluetooth is installed on the motherboard and there is an antenna port for it on the back of the G5 so you don't have to waste a USB port and it will be fully Apple OS X supported. I wouldn't waste a USB port when the option is only an extra $50.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I see my services are needed here:



    For the price of the machines bluetooth ought to be included. I'd rather have a third party USB just for the satisfaction of not letting Apple scalp me for another 50 bucks when at best the BT costs them 5 bucks to put on the mobo. If someones going to peel 50 bucks of me, then it won't be Apple, just because it's so damned cheap on their part.



    My PB has it built in, as it should be, and though it's arguably more important to have it integrated into a laptop, theres no excuse for Apple to chintz the way it has in the case of the PMG5. Fvck'em, get a 3rd party adaptor, USB ports are a dime a dozen anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    Even more than that, the third party adaptor I use is only 30 bucks! I bought it in HK. With it I can do bluetooth on all my machines (portable), macs, windows and even linux.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Multimedia

    G5 Bluetooth is installed on the motherboard and there is an antenna port for it on the back of the G5 so you don't have to waste a USB port and it will be fully Apple OS X supported. I wouldn't waste a USB port when the option is only an extra $50.



    which costs the same or more as an external one.



    difference? internal is stuck to the G5 while the external can be used on different computers if desired





    advantage? external
  • Reply 8 of 9
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by applenut

    which costs the same or more as an external one.



    difference? internal is stuck to the G5 while the external can be used on different computers if desired





    advantage? external




    precisely.



    BT adapter plug on a key ring... just plug it in where you need it.



    Z
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

    Originally posted by zaz

    precisely.



    BT adapter plug on a key ring... just plug it in where you need it.



    Z




    Will it work from a keyboard port? Oh that's right we have Bluetooth keyboards and mice coming up. Well then what's the point of having a portable unit if it must be used 24/7 to support the keyboard and mouse?
Sign In or Register to comment.