Worst governor in California history

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Pete Wilson. Check the record. Check public opinion.

Now Arnold is hiring Wilson staff to lead his campaign. Remember the last Pete Wilson campaign? When he based his campaign on a bill that would require school administrators to report suspected (without just cause) illegal immigrants to the INS? Wilson was re-elected entirely based on his anti-immigrant stance (shortly after he had recorded the lowest EVER approval ratings in California history), but fortunately the bill was defeated after full disclosure of the bill's details by Democrats.

Arnold was certainly living in California during that debacle. He either 1: agreed with Wilson's very racist campaign, 2: Wasn't paying attention to politics at the time, or 3: Like Wilson, is looking for a successful campaign no matter how low he has to go.

Any way you look at it, this is a sign that this is not the man to lead the country's most ethnically diverse state.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Now Arnold is hiring Wilson staff to lead his campaign. Remember the last Pete Wilson campaign? When he based his campaign on a bill that would require school administrators to report suspected (without just cause) illegal immigrants to the INS? Wilson was re-elected entirely based on his anti-immigrant stance (shortly after he had recorded the lowest EVER approval ratings in California history), but fortunately the bill was defeated after full disclosure of the bill's details by Democrats.

Arnold was certainly living in California during that debacle. He either 1: agreed with Wilson's very racist campaign, 2: Wasn't paying attention to politics at the time, or 3: Like Wilson, is looking for a successful campaign no matter how low he has to go.

Any way you look at it, this is a sign that this is not the man to lead the country's most ethnically diverse state.

Perhaps he'll legislate himself back to Austria.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I for one hope he gets elected because it will prove once and for all the theory that there is an unusually high proportion of lunatics and nutbags living in California.

But once he gets elected folks, one of two things will happen: you'll get the GWB puppet syndrome where everyone BUT Arnold runs the show and he just gives the speeches. In that case things may or may not change for the better. Or he'll actually try and run everything and make an existing ugly mess even uglier.

Not to have fun at your expense, but this is going to be classic political comedy. Arnold will be a one term wonder; it's almost guaranteed.

Tell you what though, can you imagine Steve hooking up with AHNULD on iChat AV come January?? SWEET!

• Reply 3 of 22
    While I definitely don't like Pete Wilson, tonton, you need to get your facts straight here. This "bill" that you talk about was not something that was proposed and then shot down by the legislature. It in fact was brought about in the initiative process as Proposition 187, which was approved by a majority of California voters. It was then duly struck down by the court.

Now, Prop 187 was definitely a bad thing, and it may have been induced by Wilson, but it is something that came to fruition outside of legislative poltics.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I would love to watch either one of you explain exactly how Prop 187 is anti-immigrant. I don't just mean rant and declare, I mean quote the proposition and tell us how it is racist.

I had to listen to people whine that Prop 209 was racist when all it did was write the text from the 1967 Civil Rights bill into the California constitution.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Pete Wilson gets my vote for worst Governor...he led the energy deregulation craze in the 1990s when corporate parasites drained some $45 Billion from the state, while offering nothing in return. The millions of unfortunates who put up with rolling blackouts and brownouts, courtesy of Duke, Enron and others ended up being ripped off with bills sometimes exceeding $1500 a month for a family of 4 in a standard sized house.

The artificially created "energy crisis" and rolling blackouts in 2000-2001 did not affect me: I live in LA, where the Power and Water utilities are publicly owned (DWP), and things not only continued as normal but our utility bills remained constant. This tale of gross mismanagement and thievery due to private ownership and lack of accountability should serve as a guide in how never to manage energy resources, or any other public service for that matter.

The other (obvious) choice for "worst governor" goes to Ronald Reagan.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

You should have to prove that you are in the US legally if you want to attened public school. Period.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

The other (obvious) choice for "worst governor" goes to Ronald Reagan.

Congratulations. I predicted you would say this before the thread hit page 2. I just can't believe you don't like Ronny Raygun!

• Reply 8 of 22
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You should have to prove that you are in the US legally if you want to attened public school. Period.

WTF man, most of our ancestors came into the united states Illegaly.

People cross the border in hope of a better education.

What you said is just pure racist Bullshit
  • Reply 9 of 22
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

And to receive prenatal care too, right?

You're setting dangerous, and blatantly unconstitutional precedents.

Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I would love to watch either one of you explain exactly how Prop 187 is anti-immigrant. I don't just mean rant and declare, I mean quote the proposition and tell us how it is racist.

Nick

What do you call outrageous constitutional violations targeting a specific race, and lets be honest about this, if not racism?

http://ssbb.com/article1.html

Constitutional Violations

Based on the judge's statement, the written decision/order, when issued in January, will find that much of the statute violates two of the provisions of the Constitution -- (1) the Supremacy Clause,*7 by stepping on ground preempted by federal immigration law; and (2) the Fourteenth Amendment, first, by effectively ordering the deportation of California residents without hearings or other due process of law and, second, by denial of free education to undocumented children, that Amendment's Equal Protection clause.

Proposition 187 prohibits public social services to those who cannot establish their status as a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or an ``alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time.''*8 Only persons in those categories may receive health-care services from a publicly funded health care facility, ``other than emergency medical care as required by federal law . . . .''*9 Anyone else must be denied the requested services or other benefits, directed in writing to ``either obtain legal status or leave the United States'' and be reported to the authorities, including the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Proposition 187 also limits attendance at public schools to U.S. citizens and to aliens lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence or otherwise authorized to be here.*10 The new statute gives school districts until next Jan. 1 to verify the status of pupils and their parents; but whenever they reasonably suspect a violation they have only 45 days to so notify INS and other authorities and to advise parents that schooling will be cut off in 90 days.

The denial of education to children is particularly open to constitutional attack in view of the 1982 Supreme Court decision in Plyler v. Doe.*11 There the Court held that a Texas statute that effectively denied undocumented children a public-school education violated the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause. (School authorities, however, were not called on to identify parents who lacked proper immigration status or to report that fact to INS, a requirement in Proposition 187 that allegedly causes undocumented parents, afraid of being turned in, to withdraw even their U.S. children from school.*12)
  • Reply 10 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Now, Prop 187 was definitely a bad thing, and it may have been induced by Wilson, but it is something that came to fruition outside of legislative poltics.

It wasn't even induced by Wilson. He didn't really have any choice but to endorse it since he was up for reelection that very same year. Since the people voted overwhelmingly in favor of Prop 187, it would have been very risky for him to have opposed it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

What happens when the parents are illegal aliens and the child is born in the US? It would be very hard for this child to attend a public school without his parents getting a visit from the INS...

Or denying pre-natal healthcare for an unborn child, who would likely be born an American citizen even if the mother is not...

But back on topic, I don't think Wilson's the worst California governor ever...He's not even the worst within the last 13 years...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

What happens when the parents are illegal aliens and the child is born in the US? It would be very hard for this child to attend a public school without his parents getting a visit from the INS...

Or denying pre-natal healthcare for an unborn child, who would likely be born an American citizen even if the mother is not...

But back on topic, I don't think Wilson's the worst California governor ever...He's not even the worst within the last 13 years...

Children born in the US of illegal aliens shouldn't be US citizens. It's about damn time we close that loophole.

Now, before everyone calls me racist again, I'm for practically open borders. I love immigration...LEGAL immigration. However, if the first thing you do when you come here is break the law you should have no rights to any services or benefits.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

Yes. It's racist to tell people to abide by the laws set forth by the US government and it's also racist to prioritize the education of those who pay taxes to support the system.

and I guess it struck a nerve,

like I had to squint my eyes,

you can never get out of the line of sight,

like a barren winter day,

or a patch of unburned green,

like a tragic real dream,

i guess it struck a nerve
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

How is wanting the citizens who pay for stuff be the ones who get it, instead of illegal immigrants getting the same stuff, but not being legal(and also not paying for it, because since they don't pay taxes....). how is that racist? I didnt hear him mention any race at all. there are white illegal imigrants in the country too ya know.....

people see things that sometimes arent even mentioned because they assume if someone disagree's with them, then they must be a racist.. pleeez...

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

It would have taken integrity to have opposed it.

Integrity in politics? Good one!

Why single-out Wilson's lack of integrity?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Why single-out Wilson's lack of integrity?

Partisan zealotry?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

How is wanting the citizens who pay for stuff be the ones who get it, instead of illegal immigrants getting the same stuff, but not being legal(and also not paying for it, because since they don't pay taxes....). how is that racist? I didnt hear him mention any race at all. there are white illegal imigrants in the country too ya know.....

people see things that sometimes arent even mentioned because they assume if someone disagree's with them, then they must be a racist.. pleeez...

The majority of people that cross the border illegaly, come to work. I personally know alot of them and they would love to pay taxes to the system. They don't get health services of anything from the goverment. All they do is work hard hours for minimum wage. All they want to do is support their families back in their home country.

Now, i am fiinaly happy that Cruz Bustamante is Running for governor thus representing the minorities. Fvck Schwarzenneger and all of those who say that illegal imigrants are a pain in the ass for the country.

Besides, In the rest of the country, It is white people that live of wellfare and health services. And THEY don't pay taxes.

So Much for a System
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

The majority of people that cross the border illegaly, come to work. I personally know alot of them and they would love to pay taxes to the system. They don't get health services of anything from the goverment. All they do is work hard hours for minimum wage. All they want to do is support their families back in their home country.

Now, i am fiinaly happy that Cruz Bustamante is Running for governor thus representing the minorities. Fvck Schwarzenneger and all of those who say that illegal imigrants are a pain in the ass for the country.

Besides, In the rest of the country, It is white people that live of wellfare and health services. And THEY don't pay taxes.

So Much for a System

Open up the borders and allow plenty of legal immigration. Harshly punish anyone that comes in illegally. Period.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

What do you call outrageous constitutional violations targeting a specific race, and lets be honest about this, if not racism?

http://ssbb.com/article1.html

Constitutional Violations

Based on the judge's statement, the written decision/order, when issued in January, will find that much of the statute violates two of the provisions of the Constitution -- (1) the Supremacy Clause,*7 by stepping on ground preempted by federal immigration law; and (2) the Fourteenth Amendment, first, by effectively ordering the deportation of California residents without hearings or other due process of law and, second, by denial of free education to undocumented children, that Amendment's Equal Protection clause.

Proposition 187 prohibits public social services to those who cannot establish their status as a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or an ``alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time.''*8 Only persons in those categories may receive health-care services from a publicly funded health care facility, ``other than emergency medical care as required by federal law . . . .''*9 Anyone else must be denied the requested services or other benefits, directed in writing to ``either obtain legal status or leave the United States'' and be reported to the authorities, including the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Proposition 187 also limits attendance at public schools to U.S. citizens and to aliens lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence or otherwise authorized to be here.*10 The new statute gives school districts until next Jan. 1 to verify the status of pupils and their parents; but whenever they reasonably suspect a violation they have only 45 days to so notify INS and other authorities and to advise parents that schooling will be cut off in 90 days.

The denial of education to children is particularly open to constitutional attack in view of the 1982 Supreme Court decision in Plyler v. Doe.*11 There the Court held that a Texas statute that effectively denied undocumented children a public-school education violated the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause. (School authorities, however, were not called on to identify parents who lacked proper immigration status or to report that fact to INS, a requirement in Proposition 187 that allegedly causes undocumented parents, afraid of being turned in, to withdraw even their U.S. children from school.*12)

Thank you, I truly do appreciate that informative post. However just because a policy likely disportionately affects one group doesn't make it racist. It was declared illegal because California suggested they do what the federal government has refused to do. (though they are supposed to according to the Constitution) They were thus, stepping on federal powers.

However as mentioned the Supreme Court has upheld an unfunded mandate. It did so in 1982, when immigration of all forms was much lower than now. Wanting the government to fund their mandates does not make you racist. If the government passed a law tomorrow declaring that all women should be given free housing, opposing that wouldn't make you sexist. If there is a law requiring a service, there should be funds mandated as well.

Nick