G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The first 2 G5 1.6's arrived at my office today. Boy are these sweet. the shipping box is pretty cool, and upon opening, I found a newly designed keyboard, similar to the new emac keyboard. The G5 is awesome. It looks so much better in person. Opening the side to see the guts was amazing. It was so clean inside and neat. I can see apple took extra measures to make expansion, and exchanging hard drives, optical, ram, very easy, amazing. The new 3.2Ghz Dell's we have are a mess inside when one opens the case.

Firing it up , i noticed that the fans were rather quiet, but with the side panel off, they seemed to pick up speed. I kept it on my desk for the afternoon and had lots of coworkers stop in to take a peek.

Apple has a winner with this puppy.

Rich

Comments

• Reply 1 of 283
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There is a story, somewhere, that says the G5 will slow down and fans used more often if you don't keep the clear plastic inner thingee attached. It helps to cool the innards. I think it's ok to remove the alum. cover though.
  • Reply 2 of 283
    I was really impressed with the guts. Apple gives you an extra serial ata cable and serial ata power cable already plugged in to the board, you supply the hd. The fans for the cpu are plug and play, and just pull out to access the ram,. It's really clean inside, to bad apple didn't have a window or clear side panel. I didn't get a chance to test it much, just ran through the set up
  • Reply 3 of 283
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    richcigar,

I hate to ask this but does the OS have a "snappy" feel to it?

Do any apps run faster on it than a G4 (I'm assuming you've used a recent model G4.)
  • Reply 5 of 283
    I didn't run to much on it. I currently have a dual 1.25 with 23" cinema display, so tomorrow, I'll do some fooling around. Any recomendations on what I should look for in comparing, any easy ways to compare?
  • Reply 6 of 283
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Got a digital camera? I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of Mac fanatics out there dieing to see more than just PR shots from Apple. Lets see some pictures.

Congrats on the new machines.

Re comparison: Anything memory intensive. With the faster bus, these things should fly with regards to the old G4 towers.
  • Reply 7 of 283
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    I am waiting on the same machine. It is going to replace a 450 Cube. How much faster is it? Tell us all you can!
  • Reply 8 of 283
    Can you report the OS build number from the "about this Mac" menu (click on Version 10.2.7 text) and the DVD product identification from the "devices and volumes" tab on the "more info..." window.
  • Reply 9 of 283
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    Yes please post pictures!! I can't believe someone would tease us like this! :-)

Cheers,

John
  • Reply 10 of 283
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richcigar

It's really clean inside, to bad apple didn't have a window or clear side panel.

You can safely remove the aluminum side panel, as long as you keep the clear plastic in place. So there is in fact an optional window.
  • Reply 11 of 283
    Also, you say the keyboard was slightly different than the eMac one. How? And for the love of God, what color?!?!?!
  • Reply 12 of 283
    When did you order yours? I ordered two 1.6 and one dualie within seconds of them going on sale. Yet no sign of them being shipped yet.
  • Reply 13 of 283
    i think i would have probably stayed at work and played with it all night... but thats just me

wow thats awesome, your first 3 posts on ai, talking about that you got a G5! your off to a good start
  • Reply 14 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

Also, you say the keyboard was slightly different than the eMac one. How? And for the love of God, what color?!?!?!

If he's pullng this out of his ass, I WILL HUNT HIM DOWN AND DESTROY HIM. GOOD GOD, ELABORATE!
  • Reply 15 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

There is a story, somewhere, that says the G5 will slow down and fans used more often if you don't keep the clear plastic inner thingee attached. It helps to cool the innards. I think it's ok to remove the alum. cover though.

Well, there's this from Apple's support pages.
  • Reply 16 of 283
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

?? He said: similar to the new emac keyboard
  • Reply 17 of 283
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I had thought the G5 would go into sleep mode whn the clear cover was removed?
  • Reply 18 of 283
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Details! Some of us need detailed, obsessive, and perhaps explicit analysis before we explode!
  • Reply 19 of 283
    Is a manual included? DVD or CD restore disks?
  • Reply 20 of 283
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    It's always fun to see the first thread of a long awaited new Apple product. The feeling is always the same. Did the person really receive shipment or are they justhavinfun?

There is no way I could have just ran it through the set up and let it sit on my desk all day for gawkers to appreciate.

Guess we will see....