IDC Says the PDA's days are numbered. Long live the PDA!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
But I disagree. Their report states that people are expecting a convergence of PDAs and mobile phones. This is, in fact, what Jobs has said for a while.

I don't think that is the full story though.

I believe that IDC is right. PDAs are going to go away as they converge with the mobile phone. But let's remember what the definition of a PDA is. A PDA is personal digital assistant. These devices are supposed to carry around our daily schedules, phone numbers, etceteras. It only makes sense that this should all converge into a mobile phone.

The problem is that the point at which modern PDAs are today... they are actually experiencing a metamorphosis into, for lack of a better acronym, an HTC: Handheld Tablet Computer. So while the PDA may be converging with the cell phone, the HTC is just beginning its life.

If you look at the current Palm offerings from Sony and Palm, we have some pretty advanced handhelds. I own a Sony Clié NX60, so I'm going to speak on behalf of that device. This device has a 320x480 screen. It has an acceptably fast processor, a microphone, 802.11b. The software that came with it includes e-mail applications, an excellent web browser, Macromedia Flash, photo editing software, and a movie player.

There is a lot crammed into this pocket sized "PDA". But that's just the thing. It isn't a PDA anymore. Palm has already inked a deal with ATI to include an Imageon GPU in future handhelds. Add to that increased built-in memory, faster CPUs, already high resolution displays, and we have the birth of a new computing device.

I'm sure some of the Newton fans (Hi, Fran) will understand this. The Newton was setup to be a bit more than a PDA, but per usual, ahead of its time. The Sony Clié NX/NZ series are pretty close to a Newton, albeit an improved version. And there is actually quite a market for people that want to carry around a pocket sized computer. I know a lot of people who would rather carry around a "HTC" rather than a laptop.

So while the PDA is converging with the cell phone, a new breed of "palmtop" device is being born. Discuss

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I agree. The whole idea that a PDA is a phone without the phone is wrong. PDAs have a lot of small applications that adding a phone component makes them too expensive for. Plus PDAs are much more versatile than they would be if they were phones. For example a guy I know uses his to record is blood sugar level for his diabetes. He has a special module that reads the blood and automatically records the readings. I use mine as a calculator, to do and to hold a wide range of information along with phone numbers and address.

Plus I don't want to spend $500 on a PDA/Phone. I want to spend $150 on a good PDA and nothing on a phone.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I've never owned just a PDA, but I did recently get the SonyEricsson P800. I just came back from vacation with it, and I think it's marvelous. It's a really useful "convergence" device. It syncs with Outlook at work, sends/receives email (.mac IMAP), browses the web (Opera), carries my to-do list, and has solitaire. What else do I need?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What more do you need? Something to read you test strips when you check your blood sugar level!

Maybe GPS would be nice? IR booster? We had an idea of using PDAs where I work but we don't need a camera and a cell phone in it too.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

So while the PDA is converging with the cell phone, a new breed of "palmtop" device is being born. Discuss

You offer quite a concise analysis, LoCash. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that a PDA and "HTC" are two distinct device categories facing two distinct futures. The PDA faces extiction, or rather cross-breeding with the mobile phone. The HTC is emerging as a super-PDA, or a subnotebook without the keyboard and larger screen.

Personally, I have zero interest in an HTC. My portable computing needs, as they currently stand, require a (near) full-sized keyboard and more than a PDA-size screen. On the PDA front, I recently supplemented my old Palm PDA with a Motoroloa flip-phone. Right now, the phone doesn't have enough memory to carry my all of my contacts and appointments from my Palm, so it is useless as a PDA. However, I suspect that I will be able to upgrade my phone in the next six months to a model that can make the organizer functions of my Palm PDA redundant. (I'm eying a Moto V500 or V600, both of which feature quad-band GSM, Bluetooth, reasonable memory and [relatively] large color screens.) At that point, the prophecy of Steve Jobs, and now that of IDC, will be realized.

Last but not least, let me extol the virtues of iSync in this context. With iSync's assistance, we'll have all the data we need at our fingertips, regardless of whether we bring along our converged PDA/phone, that new HTC, a PowerBook, or stay at home with our PowerMacs. iSync is still very unsophisticated in that it is missing a proper selection algorithm for paring down data for low-memory devices. iSync is also missing OTA (over-the-air, i.e. via the mobile voice/data network) synchronization and full support for many popular devices (e.g. the Sony Ericsson P800). Nonetheless, it is absolutely clear that iSync will play a major role in our future digital lifestyles.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Well, it sounds to me like LoCash may be right about the direction of the PDA but I for one will be disappointed in this move. This is where I am at the moment:

For the last month I have abandoned my trusty iBook in favour of using my new (well, bought used actually) Sony Clié T625C with Documents To Go and the--a true technological wonder--Stowaway XT keyboard manufactured by ThinkOutside but sold by Fellowes for the Sony Clié range. You can see how incredible it is here.

In any case, it is because of this that I will be disappointed by any move to the cell phone range. Why? because cell phones are always trying to be smaller and so the screens on these will be just too small to do any real writing.

And I am not very happy with the idea of moving in the other direction either because I am really very happy with the size of the current palmtop screens (320x480 or HiRes+ I would certainly like to have but in my mind some of the current flip top Sonys are too large for my liking and do more than I really want.

But realistically thinking I won't mind a small increase in size provided they don't get too unweildy and compete in the end with subnotebooks. I guess in many ways I am quite happy with where I am at the moment (perhaps that is because I have only just moved into the PDA arena) with the Clié and XT keyboard. I am basically only using it as an organiser, notetaker/typewriter, plus text reader and so I haven't any great expectations or desires to use it to watch movies or edit photos. For that and more I use my iBook
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

What more do you need? Something to read you test strips when you check your blood sugar level!

mmmm... sugar...

I still like my iBook. I use it much more than the P800 (I just found out you can call people with this thing— that rocks!). I'm still waiting for the Dick Tracy/Star Trek Do-Everything device that's easy to carry around. I'm too lazy to carry anything much bigger than a P800.

I'm not looking for a PDA. It doesn't offer much of an advantage for me over a piece of paper and a pen (e.g., Franklin planner). But a portable email/surfing device that also pretends to be a PDA— that's useful for me.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    While I can see how some might thing of the cell phone morphing into the next gen PDA I have my doubts...

How on earth do you talk to someone on the phone and look / check your calendar at the same time?

Caller: So when do you wanna meet...

Cell-Dude: Ummm hold on... (pulling phone away from ear)

Caller: Hello?

Cell-Dude: (bring phone back to ear) Umm wait a sec how is the 15th?

Caller: No good how about the 19th?

Cell-Dude: Umm hold on... (pulling phone away from ear)

Or better yet...

Caller: Give me a call tonight at 912-123-1412 x1241

Cell-Dude: Hold on lemme put that in a note on my pda what was that number again?

Caller: 912-123

Cell-Dude: Hold on (pulling phone away from ear)

Cell-Dude: okay 912-123 what next?

UGH!

Not too 'elegant' if you ask me... Now with BT headsets starting to come out (but still to expensive) this wouldn't be a problem but then again till most cell phones 'ship standard' with them it'll still be a hack to get things to work well.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

While I can see how some might thing of the cell phone morphing into the next gen PDA I have my doubts...

How on earth do you talk to someone on the phone and look / check your calendar at the same time?

That's why they make headsets.

Admittedly, this is why I hesitate to get a PDA phone. Another problem is airlines: you're not supposed to use your phone in-flight, so what happens if you want to read an eBook? Do you think most flight attendants will know what you mean?

Also, the new camera-phones are drawing suspicion. Need to go somewhere cameras are not allowed? Oops, you're out of a phone too then.

I think I'll stick with a Bluetooth phone + Multimedia PDA in the future. 'course, right now I can afford neither. :P
  • Reply 9 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

That's why they make headsets.

Admittedly, this is why I hesitate to get a PDA phone. Another problem is airlines: you're not supposed to use your phone in-flight, so what happens if you want to read an eBook? Do you think most flight attendants will know what you mean?

Also, the new camera-phones are drawing suspicion. Need to go somewhere cameras are not allowed? Oops, you're out of a phone too then.

I think I'll stick with a Bluetooth phone + Multimedia PDA in the future. 'course, right now I can afford neither. :P

i think it depends on the airline, but on most flights i've been on recently (jetblue), they say we can't use electronic devices until a certain point mid-flight (like cruising altitude or something), then when we approach they say turn it off again; they make me turn off my ipod for those times, but i can listen most of the flight. u could just tell the unwitting attendant that its an mp3 player, and s/he'll will walk away, confused at your attempt to use numbers and no vowel inside a "word".

-

i dont like the idea of a pda-phone, because they are huge. or else, they are ineffective as a pda. i had a pda a few years ago, it was cool for the geek factor. not useful outside of that though.

blackberries seem cool though. a lot of the geeks and execs at work have them. its like a pda, with a tiny keyboard, plus a phone, email, with a reasonable (black) screen. sure it fails my "it's too big for my pants" test, but the geekiness is excessive around it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

You can use the P800 as a speaker phone, leaving you free to write on it. And of course, it has Bluetooth, if that's your thing.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Or better yet...

Caller: Give me a call tonight at 912-123-1412 x1241

Cell-Dude: Hold on lemme put that in a note on my pda what was that number again?

Caller: 912-123

Cell-Dude: Hold on (pulling phone away from ear)

Cell-Dude: okay 912-123 what next?

UGH!

Not too 'elegant' if you ask me... Now with BT headsets starting to come out (but still to expensive) this wouldn't be a problem but then again till most cell phones 'ship standard' with them it'll still be a hack to get things to work well.

Dave

I agree. I have a Sanyo 5300 and I know others who also have it. They all use the calender and memo functions, and it is so friggin' annoying when they start start putting things into the Calender while I'm talking to them just because they can!

About the thing with camera being banned, every place I go that bans cameras(ok, my school stadium) doesn't seem to care about camera phones. Why my school bans cameras at sports events, I have no idea.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    xenuxenu Posts: 204member
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask you kind folk for your opinion on purchasing a PDA.

I am currently looking at the Toshiba Pocket PC e350. This is at the top of the price range I am prepared to pay, and looks to have a reasonable feature set. I also like its size and weight.

I do not want an in-built phone - as mentioned, they are being banned from various places.

Web browsing and e-mail are not strictly necessary. A removable and rechargable battery is good, as is a crisp screen. I have never owned a PDA, so the OS isn't really a factor, unless one OS really sucks compared to another.

Are there any other PDA's I should be looking at?

Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xenu

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask you kind folk for your opinion on purchasing a PDA.

I am currently looking at the Toshiba Pocket PC e350. This is at the top of the price range I am prepared to pay, and looks to have a reasonable feature set. I also like its size and weight.

I do not want an in-built phone - as mentioned, they are being banned from various places.

Web browsing and e-mail are not strictly necessary. A removable and rechargable battery is good, as is a crisp screen. I have never owned a PDA, so the OS isn't really a factor, unless one OS really sucks compared to another.

Are there any other PDA's I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Hello... I perfer Palms. Frankly, there are too many confusing options out there (on both platforms.) For affordability, Palm Zire 71, and Dell Pocket PC are some of the best. For a powerful machine, the best are the Tungsten C (Palm), Tg50 (Sony, Palm OS), HP iPaq, and the Toshiba you're considering. Overall, Palms (and that includes Sony) tend to be more reliable and easier to use the Pocket PCs. Many are lighter, but new PPCs are closing the gap. Warning: If you plan on ever getting a Mac, PPCs are not compatible with them.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    first, about the purchasing advice. I cannot really stand the PocketPC's OS. It is now compatible with the Mac OS, thanks to The Missing Sync ( http://www.markspace.com ) which you would purchase if you bought a newer Sony handheld anyhow. While I prefer the Palm OS, I find its flaws very frustrating. On the Palm side, look at the Tungsten models, or Sony's NX series. A good resource is: http://www.palminfocenter.com/

Next, I do agree that iSync is going to play a very critical role in the future. I think what iSync proves is that we desire redundancy with our information. For example, if I carry around my cell phone, my Sony Clié, my iPod in my briefcase, iSync can synchronize my contacts with them all. I think this is great.

With my cell phone, and I do use a headset, and I have found myself frequently inputting calendar appointments or contacts while out and about. Being able to come home, and synchronize those additions with everything else rocks.

To clarify what I was saying before, when I say the PDA will die.. I mean the PDA in the sense of a device that is good for pretty much storing contacts, appointments, notes, and tasks. Add anything else, and it becomes cumbersome. So what is happening, is we're taking those core functions, and we're putting them into a cell phone. I'm sure Palm will still sell a base level, Zire PDA for some time. One with a 160x160 monochrome screen that doesn't do much. But the market for those devices is going to disappear. It will not necessarily be disappearing because we're converging those core functions with mobile phones, but also because we have developed the ability to allow a PDA to become more.

Why would you buy a PDA if your mobile phone already does that? I don't know about other phones, but mine has an airplane mode, which turns off the phone capabilities. But I can see why places would still disallow the use of phones. I can see this as a problem, one I do not have the answer to.