Boo Hoo I might not be able to get a Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been dreaming about buying a mac for two months now...

The last couple of days I've been looking through the job postings and .net has a 2 to 1 lead over java positions in the postings I've seen. So if I want to keep up with the jones'es I have to program in .net... I might not be able to do it on a Mac...

Someone please tell me there is a workable .net port for Mac now or sometime soon. Please!!! If not, darn you Microsoft!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I seriously doubt there will be a .net implementation on Mac any time soon if ever.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    waaaahhh!!!!

Well, hopefully the G5 will be so fricking fast by next year that who cares if I'm running in emulation mode.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    By next year...what are you talking about!? A Dual 2.0 can probably run VPC as fast as...as fast as...as I don't know what! Probably like a 2.5 GHz Dell.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

By next year...what are you talking about!? A Dual 2.0 can probably run VPC as fast as...as fast as...as I don't know what! Probably like a 2.5 GHz Dell.

VPC currently doesn't run on G5
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

VPC currently doesn't run on G5

Wait...why not? I thought that all 32bit apps were backwards compatible.

I sit corrected.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

I've been dreaming about buying a mac for two months now...

The last couple of days I've been looking through the job postings and .net has a 2 to 1 lead over java positions in the postings I've seen. So if I want to keep up with the jones'es I have to program in .net... I might not be able to do it on a Mac...

Someone please tell me there is a workable .net port for Mac now or sometime soon. Please!!! If not, darn you Microsoft!!!

Don't go over to the Dark Side! .NET is just another tool in Microsoft's continuing scheming for Total World Domination!!! Don't be a pawn to Bill's insatiable thirst for power!!!

Seriously now... I'd do more research into the job market and industry trends before assuming this job postings ratio you're seeing means much of anything. Think of how many people rushed to get web programming certificates just in time to see the demand drop and to become part of a market glut.

Maybe .NET is the wave of the future -- maybe not. A lot of companies and government agencies are much happier using Unix/Linux servers, and Java is an important technology there. I don't see .NET sweeping all of that away anytime soon. It's not just us Mac fans who have become wary of becoming too dependent on Microsoft technologies and Microsoft "security".
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Yeah, maybe .net won't be dominant. But I'm a corporate slut so I have to cover my bases. I'm with you. I avoid Microsoft products at all costs. But until its out of the corporate world I'm stuck.

I will say that windows XP is by far the best OS MS has put out. But then, what does that really say?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

I will say that windows XP is by far the best OS MS has put out. But then, what does that really say?

Are you insane!!!??!!! Unless you have a completely different XP than me, it has to be the biggest pile of turd I have seen.

Want to spend your life looking at a screen waiting - buy XP. I only got it installed for Visual Studio, which for the life of me I cant install! Nothing like putting in disk one, which then immediately asks of the preliminary, which then ask me to reinstall XP. Being an apple person and much abuse of my Dell (have you noticed that hitting the new slim screens are nowhere near as satisfying as the big chunky ones?)I asked a winblows user for help. Day 7 - given up.

Back to the subject it runs twice as slow as 2000. I now have to wait about for 5secs for a message to "load" in the preview pane when I use Outlook when it was nearly instantaneous before. Already I have reverted to an old school shell as the thermonuclear green is annoying.

My 2c (and where I live that equates to about 1c - damn our weak economy)
  • Reply 9 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    jwri004 I think YOU'RE crazy!

Windows XP is the best windows MS has come out with as OS X is the best thing Apple came out with. It's stable, I don't notice a giant speed difference except for loading at startup. I think more RAM is good also thing as it is in OS X.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    brian j.brian j. Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I seriously doubt there will be a .net implementation on Mac any time soon if ever.

Ahem.

It was released about six months ago, but I've never had the time nor the inclination to check it out.

Anyways, .NET is not the "be-all end-all". It's just another set of programming languages, and, assuming you are a decent programmer, they won't be hard to learn when you need to. I learned C# in a day, when I joined a C# project a year ago.

Been awhile since I posted on these forums...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Are you insane!!!??!!! Unless you have a completely different XP than me, it has to be the biggest pile of turd I have seen.

Want to spend your life looking at a screen waiting - buy XP. I only got it installed for Visual Studio, which for the life of me I cant install! Nothing like putting in disk one, which then immediately asks of the preliminary, which then ask me to reinstall XP. Being an apple person and much abuse of my Dell (have you noticed that hitting the new slim screens are nowhere near as satisfying as the big chunky ones?)I asked a winblows user for help. Day 7 - given up.

Back to the subject it runs twice as slow as 2000. I now have to wait about for 5secs for a message to "load" in the preview pane when I use Outlook when it was nearly instantaneous before. Already I have reverted to an old school shell as the thermonuclear green is annoying.

My 2c (and where I live that equates to about 1c - damn our weak economy)

How much memory do you have? It was really slow for me until I upgraded to 384 megs. I've had some problems with it but it is the most stable of all of them that I've seen. The only thing that frustrates me is that its constantly downloading updates. One of the updates broke my Photoshop 4.0.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I think, for the remote chance that I become a major .net developer, I won't worry about it and get a Mac. If I get a fast enough G5 then it will be ok even in emulation.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

I think, for the remote chance that I become a major .net developer, I won't worry about it and get a Mac. If I get a fast enough G5 then it will be ok even in emulation.

Why emulate when you can just develop for .net natively in OS X?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Why emulate when you can just develop for .net natively in OS X?

That would be good if I could. But somehow I suspect its not that straight forward. For one, the IDE brings lots of productivity improvements. Then, what about all the servers and what-have-you that go along with it... Does MS SQL server run on the mac? If I run a server under the emulator, does the world outside the emulator see it? These are all questions that I don't have answers to.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What makes everyone think G5's will burn with VPC? Was was the fastest processor a dual 1.42 G4 could emulate?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

That would be good if I could. But somehow I suspect its not that straight forward. For one, the IDE brings lots of productivity improvements. Then, what about all the servers and what-have-you that go along with it... Does MS SQL server run on the mac? If I run a server under the emulator, does the world outside the emulator see it? These are all questions that I don't have answers to.

This doesn't looks like an emulator to me...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

ms' sql server doesn't run on macs (i think), but you can connect to one, from a mac (assuming permissions are setup properly). also, there are alternatives to ms' sql, like mysql, which offer sql servers at low, low prices. mysql is free, as in freedom and as in gratis.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This doesn't looks like an emulator to me...

Thats not the IDE
  • Reply 19 of 21
    brian j.brian j. Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Thats not the IDE

Running a server will be fine using Virtual PC. Your Virtual PC, for the most part, just looks like another host on the network. However, a G5 is likely too slow to develop applications with Visual Studio.NET, but no one knows for sure right now. You could get a Mac, and a cheap PC (Walmart $199).

That's what I would do. Being a contract programmer, I like to have every major system at my disposal.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

How much memory do you have? It was really slow for me until I upgraded to 384 megs. I've had some problems with it but it is the most stable of all of them that I've seen. The only thing that frustrates me is that its constantly downloading updates. One of the updates broke my Photoshop 4.0.

I have a P4 with 256MB of RAM and a 1.6GHz proc trying very poorly to run XP Pro. I am now connecting my laptop to the network to sort out performance issues (and my sanity)