G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

Comments

• Reply 141 of 283
    How come no one seems to mention the fact this 1.6 everyone keeps looking at is the lowest in G5. Not only is nothing designed right now to fairly benchmark them but you are looking at the lowest end model. I've never put much stalk in benchmarks either, its all about if it can do what you need it to do.

While it my work out it's more expensive than a PC of equivalent speed it still runs a supior operating system and has the Apple "it just works" advantage.

Devmage
  • Reply 142 of 283
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by twinturbo

So if a single 1.6Ghz is the same speed as an Athlon 1.4, HOW THE HECK will a dual 2Ghz beat by 2x the dual 3.0Ghz Xeon???

That kind of performance edge requires very aggressive use of AltiVec. I doubt Cinebench uses AltiVec much, if at all.
  • Reply 143 of 283
    Um, you'll notice that richcigar is no longer posting.

I wouldn't either. It's gotten back to the PC vs. Mac mine's bigger than yours thing.

[sigh]
  • Reply 144 of 283
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anna Mated

There is apparently a new version of Cinema 4d (version 8.2) coming out soon, (details on maxon website) so it could include G5 optimisations,

And Bodypaint R2 is out, I notice.
  • Reply 145 of 283
    i hereby pledge that i will not take any benchmark of the new g5s seriously until it is documentend that all tools and software used for the benchmark are 100% g5 aware.

• Reply 146 of 283
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fether

Um, you'll notice that richcigar is no longer posting.

I wouldn't either. It's gotten back to the PC vs. Mac mine's bigger than yours thing.

[sigh]

I agree. I unsubscribed from this thread a while ago after it got ruined by the ego-mongering, mine's bigger crowd. Upon returning to check for any real discussion, I see its still in the same rut. But I'm guilty as well. Sometime I forget that rebuttals can ruin a thread even if you end up 'winning' the argument. Oh well, maybe we won?t scare off the next person who posts about receiving a G5.
  • Reply 147 of 283
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I agree. I unsubscribed from this thread a while ago after it got ruined by the ego-mongering, mine's bigger crowd. Upon returning to check for any real discussion, I see its still in the same rut. But I'm guilty as well. Sometime I forget that rebuttals can ruin a thread even if you end up 'winning' the argument. Oh well, maybe we won?t scare off the next person who posts about receiving a G5.

And I still haven't seen the keyboard photos. Damn.
  • Reply 148 of 283
    Quote:

There is apparently a new version of Cinema 4d (version 8.2) coming out soon, (details on maxon website) so it could include G5 optimisations,

No, R8.2 absolutely does NOT include G5 optimization. Maxon (as I said upthread) was waiting on a compiler as of a day or two ago. They've had a G5 for only two weeks. The G5 optimization for C4D will be released as an incremental upgrade to R8.2, or possibly a patch. This info is based on a post (another forum) by a Maxon programmer.

I assume (though they have not explicitly said so) that a Cinebench version with G5 optimization will also be coming along, though, as a C4D user, I much prefer they get the app optimizing finished before the benchmark. I'm sure you can understand why
  • Reply 149 of 283
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    FACT: There is not a single benchmark out there that has been re-compiled to run properly on a G5.

FACT: There is only ONE major application out there that HAS a means of enabling G5 optimization (Photoshop).

FACT: There are no offically published Photoshop benchmarks pitting the G5 against the G4...

...ergo arguing about G5 benchmarks is also like running in the Special Olympics... and you know the rest.

\
  • Reply 150 of 283
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

That kind of performance edge requires very aggressive use of AltiVec. I doubt Cinebench uses AltiVec much, if at all.

No, the SPECmarks don't take AltiVec into account.
  • Reply 151 of 283
    Thank you, Moogs. Finally somebody who's not an idiot about these benchmarks.
  • Reply 152 of 283
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Take my pledge...

• Reply 153 of 283
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Some people are thick. It has been repeatedly stated that Cinebench isn't optimized at all for the G5, but people are ready to condemn the G5 on the basis of those benchmarks alone. It would be more problematic if someone could prove the real world benchmarks SJ demoed at WWDC were fabricated. No one has been able to make any such substantive claim. So give it a friggin rest.
  • Reply 154 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

FACT: There is only ONE major application out there that HAS a means of enabling G5 optimization (Photoshop).

Two: You forgot Logic.
  • Reply 155 of 283
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

FACT: There is not a single benchmark out there that has been re-compiled to run properly on a G5.

FACT: There are no offically published Photoshop benchmarks pitting the G5 against the G4...

...ergo arguing about G5 benchmarks is also like running in the Special Olympics... and you know the rest.

\

FACT: There are TWO major applications optimized for G5. Logic 6.2 Platinum was the FIRST. Photoshop was SECOND.
  • Reply 156 of 283
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Two: You forgot Logic.

Great minds think alike. We posted at exactly the same minute from each of two continents.
  • Reply 157 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

Great minds think alike. We posted at exactly the same minute from each of two continents.

• Reply 158 of 283
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

Would someone please analize these numbers. They mean nothing to me. What do they mean to someone who understands them please?

What they mean, in a nutshell:

Given code compiled and optimized for the 745x G4, run on an OS built with a compiler targeting the G4, the low-end G5 holds its own against the previous high-end G4.

This is good. For one thing, it means that once the OS and the applications target the 970 it will pull cleanly away except for a few cases where compute-bound AltiVec code favors the G4 implementation, or where dual processors increase e.g. UI responsiveness by concurrently executing processes and threads.

This pretty much what happened with the 7400 -> 7450 transition, except that the 7450 started out significantly slower clock for clock before apps were specifically targeted for it.
  • Reply 159 of 283
    is the photoshop update/plugin in out yet?
  • Reply 160 of 283
    I wonder how long that compiler's going to take to arrive . . .

. . . still waiting . . .

(and no, I'm not mad, I just know that in my circle I have a ONE SHOT chance at proving that the new G5 is FAST to my PC-totting comrades-if the benchmarks suck for the next two months, that's not going to help anything, and when optimized software finally does come and creames the x86 crowd, no one will be around to listen-except us macheads of course-while the IT department goes out and buys even more PC's)