Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - Confirmed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    is that the error thing for the mouse?

looks like the current mouse if that is the case.

Quote:

Right, they just forgot.

or don't know
  • Reply 22 of 56
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I have used the wireless Logitech and found the mouse uses batteries quite a bit faster than the keyboard.

Guess thats why they started bundling the MX700 mouse with their keyboard as it has a base/recharger.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Has it occurred to anyone that Perhaps Apple, being who/what they are (and all the innovations in the past few years regarding battery life, novel new approaches to networking and product design and whatnot, might have something up their sleeves, in regards to a new wireless keyboard or mouse?

I mean, three years ago everyone would've said "Apple can't and shouldn't build an mp3 player". And now look...they rule that category.

I'm inclined to think - just looking over the previous 3 years or so with Apple, that MAYBE, just maybe, they've got a little something extra and special planned?

We keep talking about batteries and replacing them and so forth. Is it 100% chiseled in stone that an Apple wireless mouse has to use the same batteries and all as every other maker?

Hasn't Apple, in recent years with the iPod and the iBook being two great examples, proved that they're the kings of good battery life?

Just a thought, ye of little faith...
  • Reply 24 of 56
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry.N

I do care about wireless. Every powerbook user must agree. And the scroll-wheel and three buttons are standard now. Let's not pretend we don't envy winmen scrolling pages without moving mice.

Are we really 'ahead of the curve' or just stubborn?

Logitech makes some great USB mice that can take care of your envy
  • Reply 25 of 56
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Has it occurred to anyone that Perhaps Apple, being who/what they are (and all the innovations in the past few years regarding battery life, novel new approaches to networking and product design and whatnot, might have something up their sleeves, in regards to a new wireless keyboard or mouse?

I mean, three years ago everyone would've said "Apple can't and shouldn't build an mp3 player". And now look...they rule that category.

I'm inclined to think - just looking over the previous 3 years or so with Apple, that MAYBE, just maybe, they've got a little something extra and special planned?

We keep talking about batteries and replacing them and so forth. Is it 100% chiseled in stone that an Apple wireless mouse has to use the same batteries and all as every other maker?

Hasn't Apple, in recent years with the iPod and the iBook being two great examples, proved that they're the kings of good battery life?

Just a thought, ye of little faith...

It is rumour, but look read it again....it states that these devices use AA batteries, 4 in the keyboard and 2 for the mouse. Yes, they could do lith-ion, NiCad, or some other rechargable but these would add even more cost to the components. Fuel Cells are not ready for laptops or even watches, so I doubt that we will see those any time soon in a keyboard. So what else is there? Solar, the solar cells needed to run them would be too large and you couldnt use the keyboard at night and you have to figure out a way to use the mouse without covering it with your hand... I cant think of any other options that dont use fosel fuels.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

It is rumour, but look read it again....it states that these devices use AA batteries, 4 in the keyboard and 2 for the mouse. Yes, they could do lith-ion, NiCad, or some other rechargable but these would add even more cost to the components. Fuel Cells are not ready for laptops or even watches, so I doubt that we will see those any time soon in a keyboard. So what else is there? Solar, the solar cells needed to run them would be too large and you couldnt use the keyboard at night and you have to figure out a way to use the mouse without covering it with your hand... I cant think of any other options that dont use fosel fuels.

what about those watches that wind themselves as you move.. anyway that technology can be manipulated to power a mouse?

yes crazy but you never know.

flick.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry.N

I do care about wireless. Every powerbook user must agree. And the scroll-wheel and three buttons are standard now. Let's not pretend we don't envy winmen scrolling pages without moving mice.

Are we really 'ahead of the curve' or just stubborn?

have you seen the ucontrol hack? http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/

lets you scroll by using the trackpad on powerbooks like a scroll wheel...
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

what about those watches that wind themselves as you move.. anyway that technology can be manipulated to power a mouse?

yes crazy but you never know.

flick.

Hah. You beat me to posting this idea. I have been thinking about servo kinetic technology and been trying to figure out a way Apple could do this. Powering a light takes so much more energy, though, that I doubt it would be possible.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Wireless is a gimmick because unless you are running at 800x600 you have no reason to get far enough away to need a wireless while still being able to see. I want backlit keyboard and a mouse with scroll wheel.

My Logitech will do me fine until Apple provides one though.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Hah. You beat me to posting this idea. I have been thinking about servo kinetic technology and been trying to figure out a way Apple could do this. Powering a light takes so much more energy, though, that I doubt it would be possible.

Dont forget that the light is not the only thing it needs to power, it also has a transmitter and the longet the transmission distance the more power it requires.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'll never understand why the current wireless keyboard fad exists.

It's like ADC, trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, but creating more problems in doing so.

Do the cords on the desk really bother people? How often do you even notice them?

Just to be rid of them, you'll have to:

? Worry about replacing batteries (costs time & money)

? Lose the extra USB port on the keyboard

? Spend time looking for your mouse (I guarantee if it's not attached, it'll sprout feet and be all over the desk.)

Powerbook users aside, this is insanity. I'd much rather have Apple working on more revolutionary aspects of computing and leave this segment to Logitech and others.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Actually, ADC is a great way to connect a display. I have no outlets on my surge protector, and ADC means I have one less thing to connect.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    I think this is awesome, as long as it is not the default with new Mac's.

An option to go wireless on both, or one would rock.

No forcing it.

-Owl
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Remember that this is the year of the laptop... I'm sure these peripherals will be targeted at the same folks that use laptop docks. With a wireless network all you need to plug in is power and an external display (If you use one)
  • Reply 35 of 56
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

? Spend time looking for your mouse (I guarantee if it's not attached, it'll sprout feet and be all over the desk.)

You hit that nail right on the head. My 2 yr old thinks the mouse is a phone and tries to run away with it whenever he can get his hands on it...
  • Reply 36 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    "Heeheeheeheeheeheehee*YOINK**WHAM*Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa h!"

You bastard.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Wireless is a gimmick because unless you are running at 800x600 you have no reason to get far enough away to need a wireless while still being able to see. I want backlit keyboard and a mouse with scroll wheel.

My Logitech will do me fine until Apple provides one though.

I guess I've got pretty good eyesight because I like to sit back when I type. Far enough that a cable would start to get cumbersome, especially since my USB hub is under my desk. Either I've got an extra long cable, can't sit back, or have a couple extra USB cables going to my computer. Wireless is nice. I've got the MX Duo. Best keyboard and mouse I've ever used.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Actually, ADC is a great way to connect a display. I have no outlets on my surge protector, and ADC means I have one less thing to connect.

Yeah, i hate those cheap surge protectors with no outlets. Bloody ripoff

-robo
  • Reply 39 of 56
    A wireless mouse makes sense, right now this particular mouse's wire is PISSING ME OFF? ahem, but a wireless keyboard? That is a bit gimmicky. What's the point? A keyboard stays put, you can get an extension cord for it, if distance is a probleeeem? babies. But a mouse is all over the place, and the cord on mine always gets under the mouse preventing it from clicking sometimes. >_<

I think I'd like a wired keyboard, similar to the current one, but with a USB 2.0 hub, power button and backlight. Don't forget Jonathan Ive's stylishly stylish design. And a cordless mouse, similar to the current sperm-shaped one? but no wire (of course)! A scroll-wheel/second button to add to the single button. I find myself control + clicking more and more often nowadays, and third-party solutions? just don't match the rest of the computer. ;

I would enjoy it.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    It always amazes me how people can't figure out that all of us use computers in different ways. I have a logitech cordless trackball and wouldn't want anything else. I hate mice and cords suck. The keyboard cord for my iMac is to short because I got the thing on the coffee table and sit on the coach. Now I am sure most people are not so inclined to use a computer in such a slovenly fashion, but hey, I don't have a desk or other place to put it in the small place I live. The point is that it is all about choice, and it is obvious that Apple is going to give its users a choice to be wired or not wired. Use what fits and ignore the rest.

One of the reason Apple probably will stay with a one button mouse, as useless as that is, is because it helps insure that third parties like logitech will continue to make Mac compatable accessories. If Apple gives us the perfect mouse who would buy their products.