Graphical Dynamic Content Creation Options?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm ready to make the transition from static HTML (augmented with CSS and SSI) to database and content management driven sites. However, I don't really have a huge amount of resources (i.e. time and money) to invest in major site overhauls, especially if there aren't graphical solutions available to me. The problem is, it doesn't seem like those solutions are available.

ASP - I refuse to support MS - end of story.

JSP - Sounds good but I'm not a Java programmer.

PHP/MYSQL - Again, apparent huge learning curve

Blue World's Lasso - Sounds promising - any opinions?

It's unfortunate there isn't a good solution for dynamic content. It seems that the graphical web applications continue to focus on static sites and aren't attempting to bring dynamic content creation down to the easy-to-use level. Until someone (perhaps Apple) comes up with such an application, what is the next best thing? (I'll need to be running this on a co-located Unix server, btw.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Go with PHP/mySQL. If you're getting into dynamic content, you're going to learn it anyway...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Go with PHP/mySQL. If you're getting into dynamic content, you're going to learn it anyway...

i agree, there is no easy solution when it comes to dynamic content. my suggestion would be to look into one of the free or reletively inexpensive blogging/CMS tools out there. something like pMachine or or some sort. play around with it as you learn the basics of php and mysql. You'll be suprised at how fast you can pick this stuff up.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    What do you mean by "graphical"?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    An interface that allows you to use a mouse and just point and click. A non-graphical interface requires you to type commands and the like.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    All of my company's web based applications are written in JSP. It's one of the most pleasant development environments we've had the chance to work in. We maintain our own Content Management System with a host of components written in-house for the system. All in JSP.

But if you want to learn, PHP and MySQL is the cheap and easy way.

Either way, you're going to have to learn how to write the language you choose, or take an off-the-shelf PHP/MySQL product, configure it, and live with its limitations.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Most people seem to be moving in the php/mysql direction. Most new systems at our university are being done in it and most folks are pretty excited about it.

I don't know much about jsp except that I hear a bit of random negative comments made about it.