What 15" G4Ti replacement will Apple announce next Tuesday?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Forgive my "out of the loop" vibe here, but why is everyone suddenly talking 15.2" displays? I thought it was widely believed and documented that company (can't remember the name) had sent a lot of 15.4" panels to Apple (or were working with them, however that goes).

Is the general feeling now that the 15.2" 16:11 screens will be maintained, as opposed to a 15.4" 16:10?

And if so, what brought this on? And is whatever brought this on ANY more reliable or insightful than the previous 2-3 months of know-nothing proclamations, horseshit rumors, baseless "inside info" and yet-to-pan-out "leaks" (Macwhisper's "970 PowerBooks at WWDC!!!", various bullcrap from MOSR, premature speculation from O'Grady and MacRumors, miss-the-mark "THEY'RE IN THE CHANNEL!" headlines from Think Secret, etc.).

Ain't ONE of those clowns been anywhere near right on ANYTHING regarding new PowerBooks!

Just curious...
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

And is whatever brought this on ANY more reliable or insightful than the previous 2-3 months of know-nothing proclamations, horseshit rumors, baseless "inside info" and yet-to-pan-out "leaks" (Macwhisper's "970 PowerBooks at WWDC!!!", various bullcrap from MOSR, premature speculation from O'Grady and AppleRumors, miss-the-mark "THEY'RE IN THE CHANNEL!" headlines from Think Secret, etc.).

Ain't ONE of those clowns been anywhere near right on ANYTHING regarding new PowerBooks!

Just curious...

No

still just vapour and impatience
  • Reply 23 of 50
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Who knows when it'll come but I have a suggestion. 200mhz bus or better. And better graphics. Aluuuuminum. Realistically 1.25ghz and 1.42 ghz G4s, 17 goes to 1.42 or more, 12" to 1ghz or maybe 1.25. And lower prices as always.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    What I truly - and realistically - expect...based on several things:

1. The current features/specs of the 15" TiBook and assuming that most of these will be - if not outright surpassed - at least matched

2. Looking at the 12" and 17"

The absence of one or more of the following won't necessarily be "deal-killers" by any stretch, but I sure hope the new 15" PowerBook looks something like the following:

- 1.2GHz G4 (7457 I'd imagine)

- 80GB hard drive (BTO 100GB or so?)

- 256-512MB RAM (1GB max, both slots accessible)

- 1MB L3 cache

- DVI out

- 64MB graphics ("rumors" point to nVidia...who honestly knows?)

- 15.4" 16:10 screen

- Gigabit Ethernet

- AirPort Extreme (no brainer)

- AirPort antenna in the display

- Bluetooth (see AirPort Extreme)

- FireWire 800

- USB 2.0 (I think it's time, and with FireWire 800 it makes sense now)

- 2x SuperDrives and PLEASE 16x CD burning? PLEASE?!?!

- 1" thin

- Slot loading

- Aluminum body

- Hinge like the other two PowerBooks

- Illuminated keyboard

- Ports along left AND right sides (as in 17" PowerBook)

To me, and for what I do and how I work and my fairly modest needs, a PowerBook like the one described above would be an absolute joy to own. Considering how old the TiBook is since its last update AND what the current 12" and 17" PowerBooks are sporting, I don't think anything listed above is asking too much OR falls into the "yeah, right!" school of wishful thinking.

I'd REALLY love to see a model like this. Perfect features combined with perfect screen/body size and weight. More "oomph" than the 12" but a bit lighter, smaller and more "luggable" than the 17".
  • Reply 25 of 50
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    ^^

I would order that in less than a second
  • Reply 26 of 50
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Forgive my "out of the loop" vibe here, but why is everyone suddenly talking 15.2" displays? I thought it was widely believed and documented that company (can't remember the name) had sent a lot of 15.4" panels to Apple (or were working with them, however that goes).

Is the general feeling now that the 15.2" 16:11 screens will be maintained, as opposed to a 15.4" 16:10?

And if so, what brought this on? .

MacRumors says it is so.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...22013250.shtml

Quote:

In the meanwhile, a new reliable report casts some light on the 15" PowerBook update... and reports that the new 15" PowerBook screen comes in at 15.2". This is contrary to an early report (and subsequent report) from Digitimes, which claimed that 15.4" PowerBooks would be coming this year. This screen size was then echoed by a number of sites (1, 2, 3) over the course of this year.

when they are confident about things, it's usually correct. And I know someone's gonna say "oh, but what about this or that". Seriously, when they say "reliable" and bold it, it comes true.

meet back here whenever the 15"s do get released.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    1.25GHz sounds lame, very lame......

unless the price on both 15 and 17 models drop by $300-$400
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

1.25GHz sounds lame, very lame......

unless the price on both 15 and 17 models drop by $300-$400

1.25 Ghz is lame ONLY if it's a G4. Bring it on if it's a G5. But a $400 price drop would be sweet too.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    1.2 ghz does seem lame, especially since apple just jumped from 1.42 ghz to 2.0 ghz, I would hope that the Pbooks top out at 1.4 at least...but...then again, what pscates described would be perfect for me, exactly what I am looking for, except I couldn't care less to have a superdrive.(and I could always get an external one that would be faster and maybe cheaper, later on if I ever change my mind)
  • Reply 30 of 50
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joek

when they are confident about things, it's usually correct. And I know someone's gonna say "oh, but what about this or that".Seriously, when they say "reliable" and bold it, it comes true.

doesn't it occur to you how often macrumors actually is confident about something?

well, as a mather off fact and now i mention it; they aren't.

they roam the rumor univers and post almost everything they find on other rumorsites. they seldom have rumors that weren't mentioned elsewhere. talking about echoing.

it's still a rumorsite, where talking rumors here, this is no science, it's entertainment. bolding this text is a special effect like exploding car's or dodging bullets.

i don't mean they (macrumors) are wrong. because i think it makes more sence to keep a 1280x854 screen instead of replace it by a bigger one with lower resolution 1280x800... i would love the extra real estate.

does it mather? yes
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by joek MacRumors says it is so.

Oh well then, by ALL $@%#ing means...if THEY say it, let's call it day and whip out that Visa card, boys!

I think you missed the point of my question.

Me: Mock rumor sites and their spotty accuracy/insight and those that cling to them like gospel and ask why we believe them on certain things...

You: Deftly counter with "because MacRumors.com says it is so!".

The delicious irony (maybe irony isn't the right word...but you know what I mean) at work here...you couldn't make this stuff up!

• Reply 32 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

because i think it makes more sence to keep a 1280x854 screen instead of replace it by a bigger one with lower resolution 1280x800... i would love the extra real estate.

does it mather? yes

A 15.4 is probably coming to replace the 15.2. Forget the rumors, just look at the industry. It seems to be standardizing the LCD around 5:4 or 4:3 (17,18,19") panels for the desktop and 16:10 for widescreen displays. 3:2 isn't really used much by other vendors, only the bestbuy Ti wannabe book also used it. If the 16:10 panel is made in greater numbers, it will be cheaper and available in a range of resolutions. Both good for Apple. The resolution loss isn't good, but the options are limited to what the suppliers make "standard"

1280x800, 1440x900, 1920x1200.

To keep the same res vertical res, a 15.4" would need to be 1366x854. I haven't seen such a panel available anywhere and it would be awfully close to the 17" res.

All, in all, if changing to Aluminium and a 16:10 display lets Apple knock an additional 100-200USD off the prices of the 15, then pixel loss or not, it's a good move.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Just throwing out a thought...

ThinkSecret

"All of the new models will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models."

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustpowerbooks.html

Have you ever thought why they would need to upgrade the OS version?

Currently the 17inch powerbook has all the bells and wistles that everyone assumes the 15inch will be upgrading to. However, there wouldn't be a need for a new OS since it already works with the 17inch.

The only thing I could think would be if the OS regulates the processing speed. Because if it did, the a bump in speed above 1 Ghz would need the new OS version.

Otherwise...

The new OS only is another sign that the PowerBook might be switching to the G5 !!!!

What other hardware changes would one need to make an new OS other than the G5 ???

Please do share your thoughts on my logic and your understanding of the OS integration with hardware components.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Have you ever thought why they would need to upgrade the OS version?

It might be as insignificant as drivers for a new video subsystem. Or for USB2, which 10.2.6 does not support. Or there may be tweaks required by the move from the 7455 to the 7457.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

1) doesn't it occur to you how often macrumors actually is confident about something?

well, as a mather off fact and now i mention it; they aren't

2) You: Deftly counter with "because MacRumors.com says it is so!".

Two points.

1) Yes, they don't often post things they are confident about. The things they are confident about tend to come true, though.

2) You asked why everyone was switching to 15.2" predictions... I gave the answer. MacRumors says it is so... and says it with confidence. That is why people are posting 15.2" predictions.

Like I said, meet me back here when the 15" PowerBooks are released.

Considering that the 15.4" rumor is pervasive... this is a good test. since 15.2" is going against the grain.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    The 15.2" display actually makes some sense. A 15.4" display probably wouldn't jibe well with Apple's plans, after all. They would either have to lower the resolution (1280x800? I don't think so) or else have the awkward situation where the smaller display has the higher resolution (15.4" displays otherwise come in 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 resolution). I haven't seen a 17" widescreen LCD higher than 1440x900 on any computer, either.

The 15" might be stuck with a 1280x854 resolution even in aluminum trim, but in Apple's little universe it would fit.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

It might be as insignificant as drivers for a new video subsystem. Or for USB2, which 10.2.6 does not support. Or there may be tweaks required by the move from the 7455 to the 7457.

Yep, I agree. The 7457 has twice the L2 cache size. Would that entail an OS tweak? Video drivers are installable irrespective of the OS, though.

Sure would be nice to have a G5 in a PB but didn't Joswiak say don't expect that anytime soon? We'll be lucky to get a new 15" AlBook this month, even with a measley 1.25 GHz 7457. To me, it's more important to get the way improved 15.4" display but res has nothing to do with it. I'd gladly sacrifice a few pixels for a sharper, brighter display with better color depth and that's more readable. I hope some of the recent rumors about 15.2 are wrong.

Any chance AirPort Extreme could be integrated with the logic board?
  • Reply 38 of 50
    I just haven't seen MacRumors or ANY of the usual suspects being particularly dead-on about much, that's all.

MAYBE Think Secret, at times. But MacRumors just seems to be sort of a compilation, "one stop rumor shop" that corrals several rumors together and references them with links to the originating site. So if the sites they're referencing aren't that hot, then - by extension - neither is MacRumors.

That's all.

Look, been here a long time (going to be four years this winter) and have seen TONS of rumors and speculation come and go (17" iMacs, G4 iBooks, the LCD iMac, the Tablet, the Cube, etc.). About all I can say is that on a couple of occasions - usually 24 or so hours before the actual announcement - a certain site might deliver the goods.

But I honestly can't recall a single instance where ANYONE has made - weeks or months out - an accurate, reliable prediction or "this is it, hands down" sort of statement.

Definitely fun to read (I've got all the rumor sites bookmarked and visit them every day), but I wouldn't base a true, real-life purchase decision on what ANY of them say, at this point.

I go more by common sense and real life (looking at how long its been for a particular item, promotions and bundles on a particular item, etc.) than by what some faceless goon with a rumor site has to say about ANYTHING.

Step back and do an objective analysis and realize "hmmm, you know...they don't know that much, really...".

If your local weatherman was so consistently that far off, you'd form a mob and lynch the poor bastard! And we ALL know that new shiny Macs are MUCH more important than whether it's going to rain or not.

• Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo Sure would be nice to have a G5 in a PB but didn't Joswiak say don't expect that anytime soon?

One man's "soon" is another's "next year". Who knows? That WOULD absolutely blow my mind though! Here we are bitching about "only a 1.25GHz G4? Waaaah!" and then they lay a G5 PowerBook on us, completely out of left field!

Quote:

To me, it's more important to get the way improved 15.4" display but res has nothing to do with it. I'd gladly sacrifice a few pixels for a sharper, brighter display with better color depth and that's more readable. I hope some of the recent rumors about 15.2 are wrong.

Ditto! I mean, what's 54 pixels? Well, almost an inch in "real life" on screen document measurement, but still. I just dig that whole "wide" thing too much (I'm looking more at horizontal pallette room, rather than losing a few vertical pixels. A 1280x800 PowerBook wouldn't bother me AT ALL, especially if it's sporting all the other things I list earlier above. Hey, I'm coming from a 768 vertical resolution, so anything above that is icing on the cake and welcome!

The only people who might be "going backwards" would be current TiBook owners. But I'd like to think all the other stuff (again, that I list above) might negate the loss of 54 pixels.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    pscates,

You rock! You're so right about the accuracy of the rumor sites! I cannot recall a single instance where a site had the scoop weeks out, nevermind months out. MacRumors is one-stop rumor shopping, if you will. You're so right there. That site does have its own sources, though, and got the 12- and 17-inch PowerBooks nailed a couple of hours before they were announced at MWSF.

Like a lot of other people here, I too have been waiting for the 15-inch PowerBook update. Only Apple knows when it's coming. I would like to say, given the intensity of the "chatter" on the net regarding the new PowerBooks and the low stock in the channel, that it could be this week. We've been saying "This Tuesday!" every weekend for months. So, like everyone else, I am tired of hearing it!

As you have said before, I will believe it when it's on Apple's site.