What 15" G4Ti replacement will Apple announce next Tuesday?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

[B]Step back and do an objective analysis and realize "hmmm, you know...they don't know that much, really...".

/B]

I agree.

But there's a huge difference between not knowing stuff vs. not knowing stuff and claiming you do know things.

That's why people get so pissed off at MacWhispers and MacOSRumors - they claim to know stuff they don't.

btw,

ThinkSecret gave us a drawing of the new iPods 2.5 weeks before they were released.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    How high do you folks rate the possibility of Apple delivering a top-performance GPU for the top $ it asks for the PowerBooks?

Maybe a nVidia GeForce FX GO 5600 in a hypothetical new 1.x GHz 17" PB, so at least the GPU would measure up to those Centrinos over the fence?

I think I'd fall for that one, upgrading my TiBook 800, and knowing full well I'll want to buy a PowerBook G5 the moment it appears (which could be almost a year off). Even if Apple makes the dumb move to shear vertical pixels off the screen if they went 15.4", and customarily did not provide higher resolution options.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    How about a Dual 2.0GHz G5 with 2 80Gig hard drives, Superdrive, Bluetooth, IR, PCMCIA slot, 4 USB2.0, Firewire 400 and 800, and all in the 12inch frame! I mean if we are going to dream and all!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

How about a Dual 2.0GHz G5 with 2 80Gig hard drives, Superdrive, Bluetooth, IR, PCMCIA slot, 4 USB2.0, Firewire 400 and 800, and all in the 12inch frame! I mean if we are going to dream and all!

The drives would be a RAID config right?

MSKR
  • Reply 45 of 50
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Oh yeah, sure, go ahead and give me a machine with no expansion. DAMN YOU APPLE! Where is the room for me to mount my old RLL drives internally in the new 12" powerbook? You are seriously screwing a major portion of your potential market! Dumb bastards! I mean seriously, if they just nudged the battery a bit and modified the enclosure to...oh lets say something of a "bellows" form factor I could stuff all my legacy garbage in there and be truly 1337 and r0x0r...

Sorry, what was this all about anyhow? Oh yes, the mythical PB upgrade! Someday we'll get to see one in captivity...
  • Reply 46 of 50
    I forgot to add that it would only weigh 1 lbs and run for 10 hours straight at full power! Oh yeah it would be cool to the touch at all times, unlike my current 12inch that requires a fire suit to use on my lap.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    pscates,

I suspect that your right about the PowerBook specs ( although I'd lean toward the 15.2 screen ) AND the accuracy of rumor sites.

Although, ( and damn he beat me to it! ) Joek brings up the example of TS and the iPod announcement. They had the new look in a drawing several weeks before. They even had MacWhispers saying that TS was wrong ( which isn't exactly the kiss of death... ).

It is interesting to trace the development of the 15.4 inch rumor. It seems to have started with a Digitimes article back in January and then was echoed by MacWhispers who also claimed evidence. However, both sources claimed that the new model would be out in Feb ( with MacWhispers claiming then Mar, Apr, May... etc. ). After being wrong about the release date, I see no reason why they would be right about the screen.

After that the 15.4 inch size has stuck and many websites have echo'ed the rumor, but I haven't seen any state any more proof.

Industry wise it makes sense but I wouldn't see that as a

proof." Lots of things often make sense that do not happen. And I doubt that they would just keep the old screen. Even if they stay with the same size, the new screen would have updated specs ( maybe even updated resolution ) to be competitive with the market today.

DHagan... your time for prediction rapidly approaches...
  • Reply 48 of 50
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    I cant go on much longer. Even if i was to cave and buy a Ti where could i find one. I thought there was like zero in the channel, well i have to order it from apple anyway so i can get the edu discount. I think if there is not meager update on TUE the 26th, then there willl be a G5 or a really tricked out G4 at Paris. But I really hope it comes tomorrow, if it does i would be the first one to slap my two and a half grand down for it.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    No way Apple would offer two different screen resolutions (one BTO). What LCD product has Apple offered two screen resolutions for? This poll's options has some serious issues.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    [w/ regards to 15.2" Screen Rumor]

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Me: Mock rumor sites and their spotty accuracy/insight and those that cling to them like gospel and ask why we believe them on certain things...

You: Deftly counter with "because MacRumors.com says it is so!".

The delicious irony (maybe irony isn't the right word...but you know what I mean) at work here...you couldn't make this stuff up!

Quote:

2) You asked why everyone was switching to 15.2" predictions... I gave the answer. MacRumors says it is so... and says it with confidence. That is why people are posting 15.2" predictions.

Like I said, meet me back here when the 15" PowerBooks are released.

...and the screens turned out to be 15.2" - eh?

joek