Turbomem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone use this? It claims to "defrag" your RAM and "turbocharge" applications. Also, the most interesting part, it says it will FORCE apps to use real RAM instead of paging out which is nice for me on a laptop with lots of RAM (640) It sounds ghetto but it seemed to rescue my friend's iMac running Panther from beachball crashes. It sounds like it makes sense but I don't know enough to tell if it's doing anything!

macunicorn.com/turbomem/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Under OS 9 that stuff is possible. Under OS X there's no need for it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    It sounds like it's useful. Might as well give it a shot.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Actually it is even more useful if it does what it says. In OS X you don't have a choice about using Virtual Memory. It will even if you have 640 RAM and a slow laptop hard drive like I do. I'd like to force it use as much RAM as possible. So hopefully this does that but I have no way of telling, I can't decode top or ps I'm still a NIX newb. Anyone else have insights on Turbomem?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I think it's actually helping my 500mhz iMac w/ 128 MB of RAM. I have this set of menu extras called "MenuMeters" installed, and I'm paying close attention to the RAM usage. TurboMem is seeming to actually allocate memory. It still is using some VM though, since my HD space is going down a little (unless that's something else ), but it feels faster. My interface changed from blue to graphite faster than usual, and a build of an application I'm making actually runs faster. I have to try it out with the two big programs on my computer (Photoshop and GoLive). If it works faster than usual, then I think we've got ourselves a good accelerator!

Of course, as they always say, your mileage may vary. I forgot where I got MenuMeters from. But what you can do to check is use Process Viewer and look at the Memory and CPU %'s, and the CPU Monitor, and see if less memory is used overall.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I got a tip for everyone:

Don't use it while burning a CD. I think that's the reason one I was burning today stopped twice. I had to erase the CD twice and re-burn it.