The object of my lust...What is yours?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Ladies obey less than cars ...

... but Italian cars require inordinately more attention.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

hear,hear!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    MLS Cup back in Chicago.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    The woman I have.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

More than italians women ?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    tmptmp Posts: 601member

• Reply 27 of 47
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd have to go with a totally tweaked and tricked Audi A4.

Or maybe a pair of Oakleys.

Wotan: Get a Nikon FM-3. Awesome, awesome camera. Or an FM-2. (That's my fave)
  • Reply 28 of 47
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Okay, now I'm really envious, a girl in my class has just got a Canon Eos 10D, she already has a Hasselblad 503 and plans on picking up the H1. OMG, I wish I could plop down 2 grand at a time for a new camera. 4 grand for the H1.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Wotan: Get a Nikon FM-3. Awesome, awesome camera. Or an FM-2. (That's my fave)

You've never shot with a Leica, have you? My Nikon F100 (Thanks Moogs) is my workhorse, but it can't compare to an M4. The M4 is quite possibly the most beautiful camera I have ever made an exposure with.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I want to burn all these things.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

orignally posted by Eugene

I want to burn all these things.

Eugene if you burn any Leicas I'm sure God will make a special place in Hell for you.

Mmmm, F100. I recently shot a motorcycle rodeo with a guy from Easyriders, dude had 3 F5s.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    The F5 is too big for me, to be quite honest. The added featureset doesn't motivate me enough to want it. The F100 is my primary, and I have an n90s as a back-up for the shoots I do.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Do you shoot professionally or as a serious hobbyist?
  • Reply 34 of 47
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Originally posted by Placebo

" Wotan: Get a Nikon FM-3. Awesome, awesome camera. Or an FM-2. (That's my fave)

Placebo, at the end of the day, the above cameras are just that..cameras..they do a job, they do it well..

Whereas a Leica M4 is more than a camera..it is a legend with a cult following that leaves everything else looking like wannabe's.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    I love film and will always shoot it for my own purposes, but the professional level that I want to enter I think will be easier to handle if I go digital. I think I'm going to try to save to get one in the spring, maybe the S3 will be out by then, price drop on the S2 maybe.

I would love to go with a Leica, way elegant camera, I've never actually used one myself, but the reports I get from others is comparable to what Mac users say of their computers, just a great experience. But I don't think it will take me in the digital direction without me spending way more money than I'm going to have in the near future.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I love film and will always shoot it for my own purposes, but the professional level that I want to enter I think will be easier to handle if I go digital. ......

......I would love to go with a Leica, way elegant camera, I've never actually used one myself, but the reports I get from others is comparable to what Mac users say of their computers, just a great experience.

Well put LiquidR.

In my time, I've probably owned about 300 cameras or more..No bullshit..I used to buy cameras for X and sell them for X + 50% or more whenever I got a chance. It helped me to support myself while studying for my degree in photography.

My lecturer used to drool over the cameras i'd bring in..but I never had any real " brand " loyalty..until the day I picked up my first Leica. it was a Leica IIIc as used by Cartier Bresson in his earlier days...

Well needless to say it was love at first sight...

But your right about making hard headed business choices..

I decided to examine my real business needs (camera wise) as opposed to my fantasy..

As a consequence, I sold all my 5"x4" Linhof gear. All my Canon gear,as well as almost all my Nikon gear including a coolpix 5000.

I now run an art studio business using the following.

1 Hasselblad 500 CM

1 Nikon Fe-2 with 35mm

2 Nikon L35 AF pocket cameras

1 Nikon Coolpix digital 700 ( 2.1 Mpixels )

This frugal collection covers about 95% of my shoots..

That was six months ago, & I have absolutely no regrets..Sure I miss playing with the gear, but all that money in the bank makes me happier than any huge camera collection collecting dust....

• Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Well put LiquidR.

In my time, I've probably owned about 300 cameras or more..No bullshit..I used to buy cameras for X and sell them for X + 50% or more whenever I got a chance. It helped me to support myself while studying for my degree in photography.

sic

I now run an art studio business using the following.

1 Hasselblad 500 CM

1 Nikon Fe-2 with 35mm

2 Nikon L35 AF pocket cameras

1 Nikon Coolpix digital 700 ( 2.1 Mpixels )

This frugal collection covers about 95% of my shoots..

sic

Sounds like a guy worked for in Charlotte, he had a tractor trailor filled with camera and lighting equipment that he picked up from photographers that were going out of the business. Too bad he really sold out his photo ambition for the lure of his family's money.

Art studio? Is it your sole source of income? Got a website with some of your images? I'd love to take a gander.

I'm back in school for a photo degree now. It's what I should've done in the first place, not the stupid Journalism degree that I don't use.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    A Grumman Albatross !

room for the family, room for my boards, can get me to ANY primo surf in the world !

• Reply 39 of 47
    " Art studio?

Well I am actually a painter as in " fine art " these days.

I take photographs for reference and also do a sideline of making high quality slides etc for other artists who need to put professional looking art portfolios etc together..

" Is it your sole source of income? Got a website with some of your images? I'd love to take a gander."

Actually, I make more money as a painter now than I ever did as a photographer. My paintings start at $1500 each up to $5000..

I'm mostly flat out painting and don't have the time to set up a web site yet..but eventually I will..& as soon as I do I will let you know.

It's just the way the market is..( or was ) in my day...

I reckon I easily spent $100,000 over 10 years in promoting my Fine Art photography..I earned maybe only 50c in return per each dollar spent..

But I was young & kept believing I'd get noticed & famous. Trouble with such dreams is you can't afford to be too far ahead of the pack. I kept thinking I'd change the world...get people to appreciate ( and buy ) photographs.

But when you ask people to close their eyes and to tell you what they see in their head when you say the word " Art " 99% of them would say " a painting "

So in the ten years I've been painting ( basedon my Photographs ) I've been making money hand over fist..

But I have absolutely no regrets, as photography helped to sharpen my compositional skills as well as my eye for colour and lighting...

"I'm back in school for a photo degree now. It's what I should've done in the first place, not the stupid Journalism degree that I don't use.

Don't trash the Journo degree quite yet. I can think of dozens of great photo-journalists who fly all over the world taking shots and writing stories...I knew one guy who used to work for National Geographic..he couldn't believe his luck when they offered him the job..

Fancy being paid to travel and take pictures and have adventures & write about them ?

What a hoot !!!

• Reply 40 of 47
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

You've never shot with a Leica, have you? My Nikon F100 (Thanks Moogs) is my workhorse, but it can't compare to an M4. The M4 is quite possibly the most beautiful camera I have ever made an exposure with.

I don't need a camera that has a cult following. I need one with good optics and a good feel. I'm sure that the M4 delivers wonderfully in both those areas, but sometimes one just doesn't need what a "luxury" camera has to offer.

The F-100 and F-5, in my opinion, are too much of a departure from the idea of a camera. To many buttons, options, automated processes- I'm most at home with a full-manual camera that does nothing that I don't tell it to do.

I didn't ask to be flamed, I'm just saying that the FM-2 is one of the best cameras I've used, not to mention that you can get one for $350-- a fourth of what you'd spend on an M4.

But if you want to see the piece of optical genius that I lust after, look:

ITT Gen-4 AN/PVS-7 Nightvision Goggles. I'd do anything for these things (anything except dish out $5000, of course)