Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by daddy MAC

I'm still raw about that.

Quote:

Originally posted by daddy MAC

That was about 4 years ago. I was young then. I'm over it now.

You got over it pretty quick.

Very nice website, BTW. You got skills.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evil Ed

You got over it pretty quick.

Very nice website, BTW. You got skills.

Thanks!

Yeah, I really wouldn't do something like that. I was trying to show how frustrated I was at the time.

I'm all caught up in this G5PB thing.

I just need to take a break and wait and see what happens.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Yeah, sweet website daddyMac
  • Reply 24 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hey, AirSluf, you'll like this.

From the revised PowerMac G5 Developer Note, as found by M. Isobe at Ars:

Quote:

Processor and Bus Slewing

To lower power consumption, heat generation, and fan noise, the Power Mac G5 computer incorporates an automatic power management technique called bus slewing. Bus slewing is designed to run at high processor and bus speeds and high voltage when the demand on the processor is high, and to run at low processor and bus speeds and low voltage when the demand on the processor is low. Switching between different processor/bus speeds and voltages is achieved by a gradual transition that does not impact system or application performance and operates seamlessly to the user. In slewing, the bus runs at half the speed of the processor. The ranges of the slewed processor speeds are listed below:

Configuration Processor range

1.6 GHz 1.3 GHz to 1.6 GHz

1.8 GHz 1.3 GHz to 1.8 GHz

2.0 GHz 1.3 GHz to 2.0 GHz

In addition, the Power Mac G5 computer allows the user to control bus slewing mode. The options for specifying either high, reduced, or automatic processor and bus speeds are located at System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options; then select Automatic, Highest, or Reduced.

So voltage scaling is here now, and not just in the CPU proper.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Could he possibly refuse to accept the package? When I worked for ClubMac, this worked. The customer would refuse the package and eventually it would come back to us so that our accounting gnomes could reverse the transaction. Don't plan on buying anything from the Apple store for a long time. I don't know how Apple handles this.

...getting back to the original question.... I just spoke with my Apple rep because my order is going through too. She said that if new books aren't out when my order ships (with a TiBook), I could just refuse the delivery. Just tell UPS to take it back.

HTH
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Thanks guys. I still don't know what to do though- I've already started school and I dont know if I should wait for the new ones. I could be without a laptop for months... Decisions, Decisions..

Quote:

Originally posted by machem

...getting back to the original question.... I just spoke with my Apple rep because my order is going through too. She said that if new books aren't out when my order ships (with a TiBook), I could just refuse the delivery. Just tell UPS to take it back.

HTH

• Reply 27 of 43
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    tvc15tvc15 Posts: 24member
    Quote:

I've already started school and I dont know if I should wait for the new ones. I could be without a laptop for months... Decisions, Decisions..

I've just started my grad program this week with no new PowerBook. It seems that most of my classmates are in the same boat. We all know that new books are around the corner so we're waiting to buy. I already have a list of assignments that will triple by the end of the week. I hate getting behind.

You know, It's getting very hard to wait when my university's computer store is selling 1ghz TiBooks with AppleCare for $2099. Apparently they have a couple dozen TiBooks but no 12" PowerBooks.

Brian
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by tvc15

I've just started my grad program this week with no new PowerBook. It seems that most of my classmates are in the same boat. We all know that new books are around the corner so we're waiting to buy. I already have a list of assignments that will triple by the end of the week. I hate getting behind.

You know, It's getting very hard to wait when my university's computer store is selling 1ghz TiBooks with AppleCare for $2099. Apparently they have a couple dozen TiBooks but no 12" PowerBooks.

Brian

With stupordrives?

I got a quote for a 1GHz, 1 512M DIMM (instead of 2x256) , 60G HD, Airport, superdrive for $2389. $2100 would take some sting out, for sure.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    I just feel like chiming in, after reading the whole thread.

Noone around here (or any other site) really knows when the new books will or will not be here.

I would not be surprised if new G5 PB's are anounced at Paris.

I say this because I can remember a few years ago reading all sorts of stuff about how the G4 would take forever to get into a notebook ... it's too hot, it draws too much power, it's too big, etc...

So on that note I opted for the then brand new iBookSE ... it was a better value than the G3powerbooks and suited my needs. In a matter of weeks, the TiBooks were announced ... I'd have been happy to spend the extra grand to get one. .... Oh well.

But in all honesty, I've been very happy with the iBook, and still use it daily .... it's biggest limitation now is its 800x600 screen, and the fact that I'm getting into video processing (home iMovies). My point in this paragraph is that if you get a current G4 TiBook, you'll not be dissapointed, even if it turns out to be less than the latest and greatest.

So now that I want to upgrade this machine ... I'll wait till Paris ... If theres a G5 PB, then I'll bite, if not then It'll be a 1.8 Tower for me ... Hopefully it will be shipping with Panther by then !!
  • Reply 31 of 43
    I was reading interesting bit from Finnish Mac newsgroups.

One guy was buying a new Mac laptop here in Finland. He went to the Mac shop. They said, that they aren't going to order any more PowerBooks or iBooks, because new ones are coming.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

With stupordrives?

I got a quote for a 1GHz, 1 512M DIMM (instead of 2x256) , 60G HD, Airport, superdrive for $2389. $2100 would take some sting out, for sure.

I don't think that the 1ghz TiBooks come with anything other than the superdirve unless it's a bto. I love the aluminum PowerBooks but to get a 1ghz TiBook with AppleCare for $2099 is amazing. I may bite on this one!

Brian
  • Reply 33 of 43
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Macbidouille is now saying that the 7457 is delayed and may not make it into an AlBook until January. Meanwhile, the current 7455B will be used for the next round but it won't have the performance since the L2 cache is only 256K. Maybe that's why we've been hearing about speeds of only up to 1.25 GHz which means keeping the current 167 MHz system bus.

Seems like Moto has done it to us again. This sucks! Who'd buy one of these dogs now? Only those who really need and have to have a new PB NOW. Otherwise, wait until there's a decent update. The way things look, a G5 PB is quite a ways off.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

I don't think that the 1ghz TiBooks come with anything other than the superdirve unless it's a bto. I love the aluminum PowerBooks but to get a 1ghz TiBook with AppleCare for $2099 is amazing. I may bite on this one!

Brian

Can you find out the specs on this particular TiBook? It would really help me out with my order.

Thanks!!
  • Reply 35 of 43
    As I understand it, the 1 GHz TiBook comes with Airport already installed and twice the video memory. Probably a larger hard drive and more RAM as well. While the RAM, HD and Airport can all be added to a lesser TiBook, the extra processor speed and the extra video memory can't. Well, not easily at least.

Joe
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Can you find out the specs on this particular TiBook? It would really help me out with my order.

I think that Powelligator has the specs right for the one I may purchase with the exception of the Airport card. I actually haven't gone to see the TiBooks for myself but plan to today on my lunch break (if it's not too crowded). I don't think that this particular deal is available on the Apple Store site. It's just an Arizona State University thing. There's a waiting list for 12" models, which are due this week.

Brian
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powelligator

As I understand it, the 1 GHz TiBook comes with Airport already installed and twice the video memory. Probably a larger hard drive and more RAM as well. While the RAM, HD and Airport can all be added to a lesser TiBook, the extra processor speed and the extra video memory can't. Well, not easily at least.

Joe

...I understand all that. I'm asking the guy from AZ what the specs are on the powerbook his bookstore is selling for $2099, eh? I should be able to get the same price from my rep, but I need to know if there are any differences in the particulars.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

...I understand all that. I'm asking the guy from AZ what the specs are on the powerbook his bookstore is selling for $2099, eh? I should be able to get the same price from my rep, but I need to know if there are any differences in the particulars.

I'll be back from lunch @ 2pm (1pm in CA). I'll let you know exaclty what I find out.

Brian
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

I'll be back from lunch @ 2pm (1pm in CA). I'll let you know exaclty what I find out.

Brian

egggggggggcellent! Many thanks!
  • Reply 40 of 43

Sorry that it took so long to reply! Apparently it's a pretty sweet deal they have at the ASU computer store. There are about 10 TiBooks in stock. The best part is that AppleCare is included in the total price. Last week I was told that they were getting a shipment of 12" PowerBooks this week. Now I'm told that they aren't coming until Sept. 8th.

Brian