Convince my parents NOT to buy a Dell!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hope this is appropriate for the General Discussion board, if not please lock with my apologies...

so my folks are FINALLY going to buy a computer. they want a laptop because they want something really small and unobtrusive, and they are making the mac/pc decision.

they are complete computerphobes - my father has to have email printed out and read to him because he is afraid of his pc at work.

i have some basic arguments about why they should buy a powerbook instead of a dell 5100, but i'd appreciate some arguments that would appeal to someone who doesn't know a thing about computers and is frightened of them.

they are not concerned about price, they are concerned about ease of use, privacy, and longevity of the machine.

GO!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Is it possible to take them to an Apple Retail Store?

The same thing happened with my parents, we were in Florida and my father finally decided he wanted his first computer.

Luckily the mall which had the Apple Store also had a Del kiosk, when he saw the differences between the Dell & Apple Computers he went with the iMac.

When we walked into the Apple Store he had a big smile on his face.

Maybe shwoing your parents an Apple Retail Store will have the same effect.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    if they're like most computer users who are new to the game, they'll be deathly afraid of worms and viruses. explain to them that the Mac is immune.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Computer viruses are a constant concern for Windows PC users. How willing are your parents to be vigilant and always download and install the latest system patches and anti-virus updates? Viruses for the Mac are so rare that many, maybe most, Mac users ignore the threat and have no problem.

Check the details on Windows XP and how much Microsoft can learn about a Windows computer connected to the internet. (I don't know the facts myself.) Then keep in mind, when future versions of Windows arrive the situation is going to get worse for those concerned about privacy.

Check the details on user maintenance for a Windows PC. Again, I don't know the facts, but suspect that PC users do more to keep their computer functioning, and installing new applications and or peripherals can be more time consuming and difficult. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on these last two items.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    ^^^ now that's the kind of stuff i'm looking for. if i even MENTIONED the term "spyware" to my folks, they'd never buy a PC. what's the deal with that anyway?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

^^^ now that's the kind of stuff i'm looking for. if i even MENTIONED the term "spyware" to my folks, they'd never buy a PC. what's the deal with that anyway?

I have not paid much attention to Windows issues, but remember reading something about it. I think it has to do with MS having the right to check the hard drive for unregistered operating systems or other software. There is a license agreement that may spell out some of the details. You likely can fine this topic explained and discussed on the internet, if someone else does not provide the answers here.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Brief intro to spyware:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Don't forget about adware too. These are the little buggers that pop up ads when you least expect them, even when you aren't doing something web-related. They may also track what you do or what sites you visit so they can target ads to you.

edit: ah! there's a wiki entry for adware too.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

they are complete computerphobes - my father has to have email printed out and read to him because he is afraid of his pc at work.

If he's afraid of his PC at work, why would he want to be afraid of his PC at home?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    If you really are from San Francisco, take them to the Emeryville store. Then stop at the California Pizza Kitchen for lunch.

Tell them about MSBlast and SoBig.F.

Y'know there is a CPK next to both the Walnut Creek and Emeryville Apple Stores?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "they are not concerned about price, they are concerned about ease of use, privacy, and longevity of the machine."

if these are their concerns, it isn't even an issue--the Mac is an obvious choice. Take them to an Apple store, tallk through the three points, download the stuff from the web and it's done.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    If your parents are computerphobes, there is no choice but the mac. They can either ease into the world of Apple's software, or be bludgeoned with the blunt instrument of Windows.

Really, you don't need our help.

Also clue them into iPhoto, etc. These are free for us, nonexistent for PC users, and would cost a fortune if purchased from a third party. Get them to buy the cheapest iBook they can find with a 14" screen. i* computers have decent software bundles, unlike pro machines (!).

Also, uptime and stability might be of concern, not just privacy and security.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

If you really are from San Francisco, take them to the Emeryville store. Then stop at the California Pizza Kitchen for lunch.

Y'know there is a CPK next to both the Walnut Creek and Emeryville Apple Stores?

i dont like the emeryville store at all. i get bad vibes there. they have no screen, the staff is odd and the mac genius there (one of em) is an ass.

CPK is good food though
  • Reply 13 of 22
    _Windows box:

default security holes and ports left open invite trojans, virii, worms

_primary mail client:

Outlook Express facilitates >90% of email virus spread, known unpatched vulnerabilities of which are the primary target of >60% of script kiddie attacks

_primary web browser:

IE, surreptitiously collects/tracks user info, spyware/adware and pop-up hell to surf with,

also subject to explosive crash and terminal system infection by Blaster

_primary web server:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

_ease of setup for ftp, home user web site of digital photos, etc:

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

_Mac box:

default secure. all ports closed. software firewall. no known virii for OS X

_primary email client:

Mail blocks junk, can't spread or get infected by executable virii, worms, trojans. immune.

_primary web browser:

Safari blocks all popups, with Pith Helmet can block ads. can pretend to be other browsers.

_primary web server:

built in Apache web server for secure sharing with a few checks in Network prefs

or with .Mac account, painless and seamless publishing with a few clicks

_ease of setup for ftp, home user web site of digital photos, etc:

iPhoto. iMovie. .Mac. all framed in an elegant GUI legendary for ease of use.

When you line it up like that, one wonders why it isn't obvious to more people?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Recently installed Win XP

I need to install 28 important service packs and patches. Not having them installed make the computer very open to all kinds of attacks.

Crummy old Mac OS 8.5

After 4 years still as safe as can be, no worms no viri or hacks.

For use as a glorified typewriter and email client the Macintosh is far better as a "set and forget" installation than a Wintel box is.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I've had a 8100 for about 7 years, and nothing has failed on it.Nothing. Now my dell is another story. My video card died. The power supply kinda blew up in my case damaging the casing on the processor, The Hard drive has had to be replaced about 3 times (I hate maxtor).
  • Reply 16 of 22
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    thanks, one and all! my parents decided to go with an 800Mhz 30G iBook. small, sleek, and NOT A DELL!

you guys rule!!!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
  • Reply 18 of 22
    My Dell notebook is so unstable. I bought only 6 months ago. but my old PowerMac G3 works well in past few years.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Is it just me or do all the apple stire have a CPK near by. All the ones ive been to do.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

Is it just me or do all the apple stire have a CPK near by. All the ones ive been to do.

Holy crud, the one in Durham, NC is the same way...

I guess they have the same demographics criteria for site selection.