VNC, Unable to control other comp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Have been using VNC succesfully for a while but now I am unable to do anything on the other computer. I can view the screen but cannot control the mouse as I was able to before. I am using OSXvnc and VNCThing, I don't think i've changed any settings so why is it happening?

Edit: Werrhay I just noticed this is my 100th post!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Have been using VNC succesfully for a while but now I am unable to do anything on the other computer. I can view the screen but cannot control the mouse as I was able to before. I am using OSXvnc and VNCThing, I don't think i've changed any settings so why is it happening?

Edit: Werrhay I just noticed this is my 100th post!

Underneath the OK and cancel click the little arrow, this will show more options, makes ure that observe remote display is NOT checked, and that Share remote display IS checked.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    thanks, it works again now
  • Reply 3 of 7
    To avoid starting another VNC thread...

My problem is that among several computers running OSXvnc-server (which is setup to start on boot), there is no consistancy in which client I can use to connect. Sometimes Chicken of the VNC works, other times I have to use VNCThing. All are the latest as per versiontracker.com

Is this just a symptom of freeware?

Never had a problem at a former workplace with Timbuktu.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I have been using VNC Demension Client for a while now. I access all my remote boxes this way. I used to use Timbuk, but VNC has quite a smaller footprint. One of the features I really like with Demensions is the ability to save my sessions and list them in a pull-up bar on my dock. It works briliantly!

Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

My problem is that among several computers running OSXvnc-server (which is setup to start on boot), there is no consistancy in which client I can use to connect. Sometimes Chicken of the VNC works, other times I have to use VNCThing. All are the latest as per versiontracker.com

• Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrCreations

I have been using VNC Demension Client for a while now. I access all my remote boxes this way. I used to use Timbuk, but VNC has quite a smaller footprint. One of the features I really like with Demensions is the ability to save my sessions and list them in a pull-up bar on my dock. It works briliantly!

Thanks. I tried it, and now I have a third client application in case the other two fail, which still happens.

Anyone else have experience with why VNC is not as stable/predictable as something like Timbuktu?

(And yes, not only is it cheaper - being free - but that small footprint can be really useful on a computer with limited resources)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

I only use vncware on macs and pcs and have no problems, except on macs I have to put the port in the address, with pc's i dont. like 169.1.1.100:5092 pc would be 169.1.1.100
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

on macs I have to put the port in the address, with pc's i dont. like 169.1.1.100:5092 pc would be 169.1.1.100

Thanks. Good clue to re-evaluate my problem. Right now, I don't have to enter the port as it default to 5900, but I will play around with the configurations.