10.2.7 on G4s?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Now that G5 machines are shipping that means OSX 10.2.7 is officially out. Has anybody tried to install it on a G4 machine yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Now that G5 machines are shipping that means OSX 10.2.7 is officially out. Has anybody tried to install it on a G4 machine yet?

10.2.7 for non-G5 machines will probably *not* be the same build.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

10.2.7 for non-G5 machines will probably *not* be the same build.

It won't.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

It won't.

Does that mean it won't install on a G4 machine?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Does that mean it won't install on a G4 machine?

Yep - you need a different 10.2.7 for that (it's still in beta).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Yep...I had Mac OS 10.2.7 (build 6R43) installed on my 500 Mhz DP G4 a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine on my G4.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What is new? Any of those old Finder bugs finally squished, like Custom icon bugs or the new folder name not highlighting in List view?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What is new? Any of those old Finder bugs finally squished, like Custom icon bugs or the new folder name not highlighting in List view?

Well, I have 10.2.7 6R50 and the Custom icon bug is there... I'm running on dual 1ghz G4 and I didn't notice signifiant changes.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I have a slight hunch that 10.2.7 may not fix many-if any--major bugs, much like 9.2.2 didn't change a whole lot from 9.2.1, save for performance issues. After all, we're supposed to want to pay for an upgrade to Panther...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK then. I might not even upgrade. Remember 10.1.5!? I remember reading about it so I stayed with 10.1.4, had no problems, and just waited until 10.2.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

OK then. I might not even upgrade. Remember 10.1.5!? I remember reading about it so I stayed with 10.1.4, had no problems, and just waited until 10.2.

Software Update may give us more detailed information as to what in particular is fixed (although it generally is rather vague).

To play the devil's advocate, 10.2.7 hasn't yet been fully released; thus things are still under development, albeit perhaps only for the G5 optmisations.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I don't think people should bother with 10.2.7. If .6 works fine, why upgraed. And with panther probably going to be released side by side with that upgrade. Just get panther right away.