PCI SATA cards for Mac-when?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wondering if Mac-compatible PCI serial ATA cards are under development or available. The status of my 80GB IBM 'Deathstar' model is questionable (it was replaced during the recall, but it was clicking like the devil a few weeks ago).

I would like to get a Serial ATA interface drive, so I can put it into a new Powermac when I decide to buy one (probably early next year). Yeah, I know, I can use an adapter, but I'd prefer to get the as much speed advantage from the drive as possible, instead of relying on my Yikes! G4's ATA/33 interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

I'm wondering if Mac-compatible PCI serial ATA cards are under development or available. The status of my 80GB IBM 'Deathstar' model is questionable (it was replaced during the recall, but it was clicking like the devil a few weeks ago).

I would like to get a Serial ATA interface drive, so I can put it into a new Powermac when I decide to buy one (probably early next year). Yeah, I know, I can use an adapter, but I'd prefer to get the as much speed advantage from the drive as possible, instead of relying on my Yikes! G4's ATA/33 interface.

With the length advantage of SATA. It would be nice to see a PCI SATA card with internal AND external connections similiar to what Highpoint is doing with eSATA http://www.highpoint-tech.com/esata.htm
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    ACard was showing dual SATA PCI cards for Mac at MWNY. Email Bill Garrett at Microland Electronics, [email protected], and he will give you the name of a dealer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'd say don't try to plan that far ahead. It's rather pointless using a S-ATA HDD in an old Mac via a PCI card. Not only will you be hamstrung by the limits of the PCI interface, you'll probably run into funky problems as manufacturers like Acard and Promise work the bugs out.

Just get regular IDE HDD now and put it in a FireWire 800 enclosure when you do get that G5. Unless you were looking at the WD Raptor, the performance of the currently available S-ATA HDDs won't blow you away.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I saw one at MWSF. I know because I asked the guy if it ran on OS9. (It didn't and there were no plans to support it)