Can anyone help me in costomizing OS X for gaming?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi

I was wondering if there is any settings that will help run games better then the "out-of-the-box" settings.

Im mostly just playing warcraft III: TFT.

cuze thats all my hardware can handle!!

lol i have a 3 year old blue slot loading iMac!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    resres Posts: 711member
    Warcraft III runs ok on my 800MHz powerbook, but it does stutter on large battles. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do except turn down all the eye candy on warcraft.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Warcraft III runs ok on my 800MHz powerbook, but it does stutter on large battles. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do except turn down all the eye candy on warcraft.

Im talking about system prefs and other things, to improve overall gaming, not just war3(altho that is the game i mostly play, but I do have more then that).

basicly just costomizing the system to best fit gaming needs.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I don't know about that...but if you don't have a lot of ram, the more the merrier, so do whatever you can to free up system resources. Programs like cocktail will help to purge the system of erroneous crud, and clean up caches and stuff.

You have all the latest ati drivers?

I have a DVSE 500 iMac, I couldn't finish WC3 because the last level had too many units that It chuuuuuuuuuuuggged, made it totally unplayable.

I remember I was in your situation once, looking for anyway I could upgrade gaming performance even slightly without buying a new computer(the pitfalls of owning an iMac) I tried updating my drivers with radeon drivers, when I only have the rage 128 pro, I think that actually worked....but I might have been dillusional.

there are hacks and stuff to install better GPUs, but the performance gain would be minimal I think.

I've said it once I'll say it again, the iMac could have sold infinitely better if it had better graphics cards. Considering a LARGE portion of the buyers were students. it should have at least been BTO to have some radeon in there.

8megs of vram is a joke.