Your Apple history.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    My first Mac was the 512k in 1985. I got the same model as a work machine about six months later. Since then, at home I've had a Performa 550, a Power Mac 7500/100 that I later upgraded with a G3 card, and now I have a 450MHz Cube with the 17-inch LCD. I had a 500MHz iBook and a Blue Dalmatian iMac (bought after they were discontinued), and sold them both in 2002 to buy a 667MHz DVI TiBook.

At work I've had a IIci, a Quadra 700, a Power Mac 8500, a B/W G3 450, a dual-450 Sawtooth, a dual-867 MDD and right now I have dual-1.25GHz MDD. I also have a 700MHz LCD iMac that I bought used (and cheap, too!) sitting on my desk at work to play MP3s and just generally fiddle around with.

I bought my mom an LCD iMac for Christmas last year and carted away her indigo 350MHz iMac, which I just recently sold.

I'm planning to replace my Ti with a new 15-inch PowerBook and upgrade the Cube with a 1.25GHz Sonnet card; I'm just waiting to confirm that Sonnet is using the 7457 in their upgrades as I think this would be safer for the Cube. I MAY get myself a G5 tower for work next spring, depending on what models Apple is offering by then and what my budget looks like.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    I have the opportunity to save a Classic II from being thrown away, should I?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    my first mac was in the early nineties (i was thinking 92, maybe 94). it was a quadra 605 (had begged the mother to get a 610, cuz it had a cd-rom drive, but the salesman talked her into a 605 with added 4MB! of RAM). that one lasted a while till i got a powercomputing powertower pro 225 (or maybe 250). that one kept me until i got a b&w powermac (round the same time the little sister got the original imac). little sister recently got an ibook, which i'd play with when she wasn't around. i used to love apple and macos very strongly, though recently i've learned to love linux more (i still call it a mac, even though it lacks a macos). i still love the hdwr and the company, but the software just doesn't do it for me anymore. i'm gonna get a dualie-g5 in the next week or two...maybe i should order it now .
  • Reply 24 of 62
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Oh and G-Dog? You wanna come here to the UK, legal drinking age here is 18, which makes me legal **clink**

Nah, it's okay, I can go up into Canada for now.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    bought a Mac SE from my friend used for $300 back in the day... used it for school until it died

bought a used G4 400mhz from my work's extra inventory last year, worked the sh*t out of it

awaiting a tricked-out dualie G5, my first, new, self-purchased, not used Macintosh ever!
  • Reply 26 of 62
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Good thread idea.

While not the first computer I ever used (TRaSh-80), the first Apple I ever used was a ][E in maybeee... sixth grade? A little while later in my middle school career

1. My Dad was good enough to acquire an Apple IIc system for me, complete with that goofy little green screen monitor. I think it was like 8" diagonal or something. I used that for maybe two or three years. When I got to high school, the labs still had - if I remember right - lot's of ][E's and a few ][g's also. By the time I had reached my Junior year I think Mac's had become pretty popular (was about that time the first Quadra commercial came out I thinK), but our school labs weren't to be upgraded until after I left, and I simply did not use computers at home (for homework or games).

2. My second Apple computer was my first Mac, one I purchased my freshman year of college. It was a Macintosh IIsi with something like 16MB of RAM and a 40MB drive (is that right??). I also got the color 13" screen which at the time was DA BOMB. The irony of it was, my brother while doing his graduate studies out east had purchased a Mac Classic and "had it all figured out" as to what I needed. He claimed defiantly, that "A computer is just a tool. Don't waste your time getting a new one every four years; you'll never need it. We're going to get you a 'hammer' that will last for 7 or 8 years easy... I'll supply all the software."

HA!

Had he turned out to be correct, I could've still been using my IIsi with Word 4 (I think) and Mac Paint in 1999! Amazing how things change so quickly. Anyway, my IIsi was a little buggy but very good for mesmerizing chics with colorful screen savers and also occasionally doing stuff like work (you know, term papers and such).

3. Mac #2 was one of the original Power Macintosh machines. "The Power Mac 66" I think they called it. That puppy was stocked with 32MB of RAM, an 80MB drive (?) and of course the amazing PPC 601. My recollection was that this was my junior year but I might be off by a semester. Anyway I got the machine because of the discount which I would no longer have in a year or so, and because I needed Aldus Pagemaker and Photoshop 3.0 (I think) for my journalism classes. Rumors abound that I spent many a night in my dinky college apartment drinking and playing Marathon with my homies. These claims are greatly exaggerated; I only played about 3 hours a day, not 7. However I drank rather constantly and as I result can't remember shit anymore... I think.

This was also the first machine I ever used for anything resembling "the internet". I used it to log onto an old-school BBS system which was more similar to iChat than to UBB. It was called ISCA. I don't know if the university of Iowa / WEEG still has such a thing (probably not) but back then is was the shiz-nat-roody-poo-smack-down of communications technology. Chics dug it!

4. Mac #3 I had my (still at UIowa) girlfriend buy for me a year after I had graduated. I think it was a Power Mac 8500/120. Don't remember the specs other than I paid WAY too much for it in retrospect, even with the discount. I think I stocked it with a bunch of RAM for one thing. Mistake. This was the worst Mac I ever owned because by this time (I want to say late '96) the Mac OS was starting to bog down for lack of modern features and a lot of superfluous crap they were trying to boot-strap on there to save the sinking ship. Moreover it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to upgrade or fix. Possibly the worst Mac ever for upgrading RAM - even the damn Apple certified repair guy hated them - this was the one I wished I had done without.

5. Mac #4 is my current Mac, the Power Mac G4/500. Yep this was originally of "500 MHz parts delay" fame. I bought this one the second it was re-announced by Jobs in January of 2000 and have been happily slapping new goodies into every since. Definitely the BEST Mac I ever owned, due not only to the fact that it nicely survived the OS X transition, but because it is truly a pleasure to upgrade.

Since I've owned it, I've added:

A Radeon Card

A new hard drive

A new optical drive

RAM (stopped at 1GB)

and a Processor Upgrade

...all without the slightest of hitches, really. It was an extension of Apple's original ID masterpiece - El Capitan. Awesome Mac.

And now that I'm once again without extra income to buy a new Mac, I will be using this baby through it's fourth birthday and probably a little beyond. I anticipate buying a rev 2 G5, assuming the middle model becomes dual. I would drop $2600+ on a Dual 2GHz G5 (* now with reduced errata!), circumstances being right.

Amazing to think I plunked down almost 4 grand for that POS 8500, and just 6 or 7 years later I will buy something so far superior it's sick, at it will be under 3 grand (even though it's still "the high end Mac" product). Sick I tell you, sick!
  • Reply 27 of 62
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I had been using Macs since 1st grade in school, and in 2nd grade, I was always hogging the brand new iMac that the school had recently purchased. I considered buying an iBook in third grade. I enherited a crappy Beige G3 when I was 10, and my parents said they'd buy a powerbook in 6th grade. Nope. A Dual 1 GHz G4 in 7th grade. Too bad. So I realised that I'd have to buy it myself, so I toiled through 7th grade delivering papers for $60 a week until a week ago, when I got a G5.

So,

Beige G3

Powermac G5
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Just now, I accidentally hit clear, and cannot cmd + Z. **** you, Explorer. You are getting the ****ing boot when Panther is released.

Anyway?

I know my first school had Macs, but I can't remember what kind or anything past that. I do remember the first Macs we owned were a Quardas 650 and 840av. This is when I learned how to use them, of course, by destroying the system folders. The last straw came when I set my dad's 650 to a resolution the monitor couldn't handle and the screen went black. We took it into The Mac Group in Ottawa, where they found more problems I'd inflicted on the machine that they couldn't figure out to fix! We then got a PowerMac 7200 after that.

Now I was running a PPC on OS 8.6. A big step away from system 7 on a 68040? with that goddamned CD caddey. But I somehow missed the neat little desktop patterns, still to this day, like the elastic bands or the pebbles.

Then we got a 400MHz indigo iMac with the OS 9 after a 350MHz blueberry iMac that remained in this spot until the purchase of a 700MHz eMac last year. Mac OS X.1 came Oct. 2001 and next month (hopefully) will bring Panther.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    First Mac - Feb, 1996 to present.

Performa 6116CD

It came with an Apple Multiple Scan 14 Display and a StyleWriter 1200 printer. I love this machine. I added a HPV card on the NuBus expansion slot for dual displays support, a 256k L2 cache, IBM 4GB SCSI HD, and two 64MB 72-pin SIMM RAM. It is currently running Mac OS 9.1. I sometime use it for watching DVD and VHS tape via the HPV card. My dad bought the whole package for me when we noticed that Macs were being used in high school. I know nothing about Mac before 1996, which is the same year my family and I came to America. Bought it at Future Shop for around $1500 w/free RAMDoubler software I gave this bundled Mac 80pts [out of 100pts]

No hardware failure. Repair cost = zero (expect for replacing the 3.6V PRAM battery)

Second Mac - Sept, 1998 to Nov, 2002.

iMac Rev. A Bondi

I graduated from high school on June, 1998 and went to a community college. The Performa was getting weird and "slow". The iMac was a decent Mac at that time for the price. My dad bought it for me. Within the life-span, I spent some RAM module to 256MB total, a couple of hard drives (from 40GB Maxtor, 60GB IBM, to 120GB WesternDigitial), video RAM upgrade, Formac iProTVRAID for watching TV and SCSI support), and the Sonnet HARMONiG3 500Mhz FireWire card. This Mac helped me to complete many tasks. I used this Mac when I transfered to a 4yr college as well. I can tell the all-in-one design is the best for college dorm. Bought it at one local Apple authorized dealer for around $1249. Sold it on eBay for $455 .. I gave this Mac 75pts due to a bit nosier that my pervious Performa.

No hardware failure. Repair cost = zero.

Third Mac - March, 2001 to August, 2002.

PowerBook G4 Titanium 400Mhz

I was studying in a 4yr college and I desired to own my first portable. After talking to my parents a couple of weeks on which Mac (G4 Cube + 15" studio display or TiBook), my mother finally approved it. I took advantage of the ADC student 20% discount and ordered the TiBook, Airport card, and base station. Due to the short supply, it took a month to ship. The TiBook was fine and the screen was just awesome. It was fast running Mac OS X. I replaced the stock 128MB to 256MB and added a 512MB RAM. I brought the TiBook around campus for using Wi-Fi and programming VB. The negative side, 3 dead pixels right out of the box, and PMU failure. Since I couldn't live without it, I didn't bring it for repair. Later on, I bought AppleCare as well as sent it back to Apple to fix the issue. Bought it thru the Apple ADC store for around $2000. Sold it on eBay for $1300. I gave this Mac 75pts due to the hardware issue and dead pixels.

Logic board and top case replacement. Repair cost = zero (covered by 1-yr warranty)

Forth Mac - somewhere mid-2002 to March, 2003.

iMac Rev. D 333Mhz Tangerine

My sister's co-worker asked me to help her to sell this iMac, so she left it in my home. If it was a slot-loader, I would buy it. It was tough to sell it without manual, original box, and cable. I used it for a couple of months and bought the iMac box on eBay. I added a total of 256MB RAM and used my old WD 120GB HD from the iMac Rev. A. Runng Jaguar was just fine. As I saw the value of this iMac was getting nowhere.. I posted it on eBay and got around mid-$300 back... not bad.

No score...

Fifth Mac - Feb, 2003 to present

Dual PowerMac G4 1.25 (FW 800)

I bought the Apple Studio Display 17 LCD with it. This Mac really kicks some @ss. All of my pervious Mac were below/equal to 500Mhz and this DP 1.25 was a big upgrade. I was thinking the G5 won't arrive until MWSF 2004.. well.. no regret for getting this dualie. Meanwhile, this Mac is noisy, which Apple put old MDD fans into this "suppose to be quieter FW800". I had to buy a better fan for getting it below 40dBA. The combo drive was simply a flaw and Apple refused to send me one as CIP. AirPort Extreme also blows. Bought the tower from The Portland Mac Store at $1999 to save some tax and $549 for the display at AppleStore (edu). I gave this Mac 80pts due to the hardware issue..but I love the performance.

So far.. no repair cost although I purchased AppleCare.

Other Macs at home

iBook Rev. A Blueberry 300Mhz

iBook 800Mhz (32MB VRAM)

both are for my sister.

-End-
  • Reply 30 of 62
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Just now, I accidentally hit clear, and cannot cmd + Z. **** you, Explorer. You are getting the ****ing boot when Panther is released.

Um...why aren't you using Safari? It has undo! And tabs! And the KHTML rendering engine! And it's free! It has a spell checker, too!

Why wait till Panther?
  • Reply 31 of 62
    1 - Classic II (Tiny B&W screen, basic comic strip like GUI, got the job done!)

2 - Color Classic II (Sexy chassis, lots of colors!, the year I discovered 'AfterDark')

3 - Quadra 610 (Thin and compact chassis, with matching funky flat screen CRT, new game called SNOOD!)

4 - PowerBook 3400c (Given to me from the office, was big, heavy and slow, but I didn't' know it then!)

5 - iMac (TearDrop - Original Bondi 233MHz, whopping 10GB HD, 256MB RAM, AfterDark looks even better!)

6 - iMac (TearDrop - 600MHz, Graphite, OSX, Slot Load DVD, 1GB RAM, 80GB Seagate HD - 100% silent Mac)

7 - TiBook (1GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HD, AP, OSX, OS9, cooling fans by Black&Decker, AfterDark is dead )

8 - 12" PowerBook G4 (867MHz, 60GB HD, OSX Only, Bluetooth, APE, Silent, Solid, a real Gem)

9 - Whatever is revealed tomorrow. (Hoping for 15", 1.25GHz, 80GB, APE, Backlit Keyboard, or a TINY PowerBook!)
  • Reply 32 of 62
    My Apple history isn't a history. Our first computer was a Mac SE, in 1997/8 or so. Then we moved into the Windows world. I got an LC III. Then I started mostly using Windows. I got a Quadra, then a PowerMac 7100. I din't use 'em to much, because they weren't connected to the 'net (though they could have been... ). Then, when we had an Athlon 1Ghz/WinXP, we got an iBook. That's what I'm typing this on.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    First comp I ever used extensively was the Lisa in 1983. Not mine. It was my boss's as it costed over $10,000.00

Codename: Lisa

CPU: Motorola MC68000

CPU Speed: 5 Mhz

FPU: none

Bus Speed: 5 Mhz

Data Path: 16 bit

ROM: 16k of diagnostic and bootstrap code present

Monitor: 12" 720 x 360 built-in (B/W)

Slots: 3 Proprietary

Floppy Drive: 2 internal 871k 5.25" (400k Sony 3.5" in Lisa2/Mac

Hard Disk: 5 MB external (10MB in some configurations of Lisa 2/MacXL)

Serial: 2 RS-232

Audio Out: Continuously Variable Slope Demodulator (CVSD)

Speaker(s): mono

Gestalt ID: 2

Power: 150 Watts

Weight: 48 lbs.

Dimensions: 15.2" H x 18.7" W x 13.8" D

Minimum OS: LisaOS

Maximum OS: LisaOS/MacWorks

Introduced: January 1983

Terminated: August 1986

I instead settled for the Apple IIc around 1984. I ended up not doing much with it as I soon had a Macintosh in the office to play with.

Codename: ET, IIb, IIp, Pippin, VLC, Elf, Yoda, Teddy, Chels, Jason, Lollie

CPU: SynerTek 65C02

CPU Speed: 1 Mhz (IIc)/4 Mhz (IIc+)

FPU: none

Bus Speed: 1 Mhz (IIc)/4 Mhz (IIc+)

Data Path: 8 bit

ROM: 32 kb

Onboard RAM: 128 kb

Maximum RAM: 1 MB*

Monitor: Standard 9" Green monochrome, optional LCD panel.

Maximum Resolution: 40/80 text, 40x40 4-bit, 80x40 4-bit, 140x192 6-color, 280x192 1-bit, 140x192 4-bit, 560x192 1-bit

Floppy Drive: 140k 5.25" (IIc)/800 k 3.5" (IIc+), floppy port

Serial: 2

Power: 18 Watts

Introduced: April 1984

Terminated: November 1990

Around 1989 I quit that job and was forced to get my own Mac. In 1990 I became the proud owner of the Macintosh LC

Codename: Pinball, Elsie, Prism

CPU: Motorola MC68020

CPU Speed: 16 Mhz

FPU: none (upgradable)

Bus Speed: 16 Mhz

Data Path: 16 bit

ROM: 512 kb

RAM Type: 30 pin SIMM

Mininum RAM Speed: 100 ns

Onboard RAM: 2 MB

RAM Slots: 2

Maximum RAM: 10 MB

Level 1 Cache: 0.25 kb

VRAM: 256 kb (upgradable to 512 kb via one socket)

Maximum Resolution: 4-bit 640x480 or 8-bit 640x400

Slots: 1 LC PDS

Floppy Drive: 1.4 MB SuperDrive

Hard Disk: 40-80 MB

ADB: 1

Serial: 2

SCSI: DB-25

Video Out: DB-15

Audio Out: mono 8 bit

Audio In: mono 8 bit mini

Gestalt ID: 19

Power: 50 Watts

Weight: 8.8 lbs.

Dimensions: 2.9" H x 12.2" W x 15.3" D

Minimum OS: 6.0.7

Maximum OS: 7.5.5

Introduced: October 1990

Terminated: March 1992

1996 I gave my LC to a friend and got myself a Performa 6360

I remember clearly the sales guy at Circuit City trying to get me to buy a PC instead of the Performa 6360. I literally had to fight my way into the Mac. Tough days for Apple those where.

In 1999 I gave the Performa to my sister and got myself a Power Macintosh G4 350 MHz(AGP Graphics)

This is my current Mac running OS X (10.2.6)
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Hmm. The first mac I bought was a used 7500 in 2000. I had some upgrades that I had found which I installed. It was a pretty unreal 7500. before that I had used LC's and an 8500 My mom bought. Since then I've bought two powerbook g4's, the current being a 1Ghz Titanium.

Trying to determine now what to buy next. That is, a desktop or a notebook. By this time next year I have agreed to give my Powerbook to my sister. I'm leaning towards a Powerbook G5, but I might get a PowerMac and an iBook.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    1990 - Mac Plus (at college - I was hooked!).

1990 - Mac Classic

1993 - IIVX (man that thing was slow but it was color!)

1996 - 7600 (started my freelance business with this)

1998 - APS Mac clone (cheap-o but a decent backup machine)

1999 - G4 450 (still a great machine)

1999 - eMachines Pee Cee (client held a gun to my head - Barf!)

2002 - Dual 1Gig G4

2002 - iBook 800mhz

2003 - Tomorrow decides if it's a new PB or a G5!

Chas
  • Reply 36 of 62
    When the Original Mac was introduced, I had a Commodore 64. As I couldn't afford a Mac, I had to settle for an Atari ST for a while.

In 1992, I finally had enough money to buy a Quadra 700 (with 20 MB RAM). It was a cool machine at that time.

In 1995, I found a PowerMac 8100/80 at a great price. It had a 4 MB video card and 40 MB RAM.

In 1998, I wanted a new Mac, but by reading sources like AppleInsider, I heard the rumours about the next generation Macs. So I waited till January 1999 and bought one of the first G3 300 B&W that was available in Germany. (With 128 MB RAM, upgraded later to 256 and then 640 MB)

Summer 2000, my wife wanted a computer, too. I bought her a Pismo PowerBook 400 MHZ (192 MB RAM). In the end, she didn't like computers, so most of the time, I use it anyway...

Last year, I just didn't want to wait any longer for the G5, so I bought a G4 2x1GHz MDD (1 GB RAM).
  • Reply 37 of 62
    1. Apple II Plus

2. Macintosh LC

3. Quadra 660av

4. Power Computing PowerCenterPro 180

5. G4 450 (AGP)

6. G4 Dual 500

7. PowerBook G5 (I'm sticking with my G4 until this becomes reality.)
  • Reply 38 of 62
    1) In the fall of 1982, when I was 11, mom and dad bought an Apple II+ w/ 64K RAM (incl. Language Card), Apple Pascal system, monochrome monitor, AppleWriter II, and an Epson MX-80 wide-carriage printer.

On this computer I:

* Cheated at Wizardry

* Signed on to Compuserve for the first time at 300 bps and experienced my first online interaction with other people

* Learned 6502 assembly language

This computer cost about $5000 in 1982 dollars, or about $9500 adjusted for inflation to 2002 dollars.

2) In May of 1987, I graduated from high school, and my graduation gift was a newly-released Macintosh II, which arrived in October. It had an Apple High Resolution Color Display (640x480), an Apple 8-bit Video Card, and 5 MB of RAM. Also got an ImageWriter II with it, and an external modem of some make I don't recall.

On this computer I:

* Learned to program in C and C++

* Learned how to use the Macintosh API

* Developed software to display the results of fractal images I was generating on my college's 4-processor Sequent minicomputer (which had an astonishing four 16 MHz 386 processors)

* Wrote a ton of papers (using Ashton-Tate's FullWrite Professional) and did all of my lab writeups (mostly with Cricket Graph.)

This system, purchased at a steep educational discount, cost $6500 in 1987 dollars, or $10236 in 2002 dollars.

3) In late 1989, I conned my parents into taking the Mac II for themselves and buying me a Mac IIci, which I maxed out at 8 MB of RAM. I kept the monitor but got a RasterOps ColorBoard 264 for 640x480 24-bit color (which was mind-blowing at the time.)

By the time I got this machine, I'd managed to get accepted into the (still free) Apple Developer Program on the basis of intermittent consulting work, which required submitting a business plan and a blood sample but which provided a 50% discount on Apple computer systems. Thus, this machine was much cheaper than the earlier ones, at about $5000 in 1989 dollars, or $7300 in 2002 dollars.

On this machine, I:

* Ran Photoshop for the first time.

* Learned MacApp

* Ran System 7.0 from the Alpha 9 release handed out at the 1990 developer conference until release in 1991.

* Took my first baby-steps into 3D (which is currently what I do for a living) with Infini-D.

4) In 1994, when I was at my first job I picked up a Powerbook 145B laptop, my first for about $1500. I recall that this was the machine on which I first ran Mosaic to surf the Web, in all of it's 1-bit glory... $1800 today.

5) Also that year, I picked up a Power Mac 6100/60 as soon as they hit the streets. That machine is still functioning in my mother's home, and eventually got upgraded to 72 MB of RAM with a 2GB disk. Since by then the low-cost revolution had hit the Mac, it cost about $2000 in 1994 dollars, or about $2400 in 2002 dollars.

6) In 1995, I got my first color laptop, a Powerbook 520c. I used this to write a screenplay. This one cost $1900, or about $2200 today.

7) Around 1998 I got a refurbished Power Mac 6500/200 for $999 at Fry's Electronics, or about $1080 today. With a Miro DC30+, this was my first experimentation with digital video editing.

8) In 2000 I picked up within a few months of each other, a Ruby iMac DV+ at 450 MHz and the following machine...

9) ... a 466 MHz Graphite iBook SE (FireWire). These machines were my first encounter with DV editing.

10) In early 2002 it became obvious that the iBook was not quite cutting it for what I wanted to do, particularly video, so I picked up a Powerbook G4 (DVI) 800, which is still my main Mac system. This system cost about $3500 after RAM expansion. I've been running it recently with an external keyboard and an Apple 23" Cinema Display HD, which I bought for the next computer:

11) ... which is on order and will hopefully arrive this month, a Dual 2 GHz G5 with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 500 GB of SATA disk, 2 GB of RAM, and a fresh copy of Maya Complete, which I'm using to write the book that hopefully will pay for this computer eventually. This system, including the HD display and Maya, will end up costing me about $9000. Still, in today's dollars it's cheaper than the Apple II+ was!!
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Back in 1983 the school district in which I worked purchased computers, but decided to do it on the cheap with Franklins, an Apple II clone. So the first computer I ever bought was a Franklin with two floppy drives and a CPM card.

Eventually the district went to the Apple II and then Macs. In 1987 I bought an SE when it first came out. The 20 meg hard drive seemed huge after having used floppies. That, a Laserwriter and Aldus PageMaker 2.0 were an awesome combination.

This was followed by a Mac Iicx in 1990, fx in 1992, Pwermac 7300/200 in 1998, and my present desktop computer, a G4 Dual 450 in 2000. I'll probably go to a midline dual G5 sometime next summer.

On the portable side I've had a Duo 280, the original tangerine iBook and my present laptop, a 15" TiBook 867.

I've never used a WinTel machine, except for surfing the web at the local library.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Ahhhh this takes me back....

1994: Performa 636 CD (Upgraded to 32 MB of RAM, 500 MB HD (Still have the original 72 pin SIMM around in my desk)) This baby was the family's first computer oh man. I did so much stuff on it... My first Marathon game.... First Online experience with E-World!

1996: Started reading articles in Time and Newsweek about Apple, took a little interest in the company...

1997: Return of Jobs, caused vague joy for me but the newspaper guy seemed upbeat about it so...

1998: The iMac. The one and only Bondi Blue Rev. A beast. Oh man this was soo cool. I could finally play Riven!!!! Discovered the vast Mac community...

1999: Picked up Apple confidential, joined MAF, got the May subscription to MA, Upgraded the beast to 96 Megs, got a 6 gig hard drive after the 4 gig died... browsed AI...

2000: Became an investor in Apple, joined AI, watched the webcast of the Stevenote, became a full Machead...

2001: My first Macworld NY (And last), much more stuff I can't remember

2002: First Apple Store visit (at Tyson's Corner), Arrival of the iMac G4 monster...

2003: A+ Cert., attempting CCNA and tryin to get Apple Cert...

Future: Powerbook for graduation, G5 for work, and a PCeee for any other stuff @ college.