Safari Discussion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

I'd like to switch from Mozilla (as much as I love it), but there are two deal breakers for me.

1. I type urls frequently. In Mozilla I can simply click in the url bar (is that what it's called?) and it highlights the entire thing.

In Safari, it just places the cursor where ever I've clicked.

Petty I know, but that's how I navigate and Safari slows me down.

2. I hate the iTunes-style look when you go to manage your bookmarks.

Everything popping up at me reminds me of XP.

Being a .Mac user from the beginning, I'd love to use Safari as my main browser and take advantage of syncing my bookmarks where ever I am, but Safari isn't there yet.

I'm sorry to hear that Safari isn't quite reasy for you, but here's a tip: triple-clicking the address bar does it. Meanwhile, consider Camino or Pinstripe Theme.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

ISometimes I want to stop loading a page so I click the button, but the mouse click doesn't register until after the page is done loading and the button has changed to Reload, at which point the problem is made worse because the page has begun reloading again.

major bugger for me also!!! \
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

I'm sorry to hear that Safari isn't quite reasy for you, but here's a tip: triple-clicking the address bar does it. Meanwhile, consider Camino or Pinstripe Theme.

I use cmd-L for selecting the location bar, because I can then type a URL without taking my hands off, going to the mouse and all that crud.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Just a note: PithHelmet .7 is out... and it's significantly faster on content collapsing than .6x was.

Just thought I'd let you know
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Just asking, but how stable has Safari 1.0 been for everybody? Mine tends to "unexpectedly" quit more often than the betas did on my machine.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Mine is VERY stable. I use it on a day to day basis. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't crash.

It's a little on the buggy side, yeah, but it can be used as a day-to-day browser. Of course, that's just me, since it'll crash for some people more than others.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    I would like to see the ability to a more localised google for me e.g. .co.uk rather than .com being the only option
  • Reply 28 of 63
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willc

I would like to see the ability to a more localised google for me e.g. .co.uk rather than .com being the only option

It would be nice if it were there, but it isn't, so check out this hack. I think it might work.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Hmm, maybe I can set up a button on my trackball to triple click.

I just got Camino to give it a test. Bookmark management in the sidebar is interesting and I do like it better than Safari, but Mozilla is still my Fav.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bygimis Turug VIII

I use cmd-L for selecting the location bar, because I can then type a URL without taking my hands off, going to the mouse and all that crud.

Maybe I can untrain myself and learn to triple click or use cmd-L.

I really want to like Safari!
  • Reply 30 of 63
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty It needs a throbber...

Don't we all.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Hmm, maybe I can set up a button on my trackball to triple click.

You do realize that you can click the icon to the left of the url once to highlight the entire thing, don't you?

As for me, I'm a big fan of the triple click to highlight, simply because it should be uniform, and that's why you have the problems you do. The rest of the OS is triple click... web browsers should be no different.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

You do realize that you can click the icon to the left of the url once to highlight the entire thing, don't you?

Ahhh! Holy smokes, that works in Firebird on my PeeCee too! (getting ready to game).

/smacks head.

Thank you!
  • Reply 33 of 63
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Has anyone seen this rumor of a new look for Safari on Panther:

http://www.appleinsider.com/news_bytes.php

The metal-interface looks like it may be replaced by the more toned-down look of Aqua for Panther. Also new graphics for the tabs are in place. Please let this be so. Please...
  • Reply 34 of 63
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    There was a discussion on that in another thread in this forum, and it's more believed to be a fake, since Safari renders special tabs for its application. If you don't want the metal though, you can go into Interface Builder and turn off "Textured Window". Then use a program called Safaricon to install another theme, since the default doesn't look right in Aqua.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    The way it caches is annoying, esspecially on forums like this one. It always want to resend information.

It really need the ability to save a complete web page, graphics and all.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how do i stop these lousy flashing ads, like the one at the bottom of AI, i might end up with a seizure!!!
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

how do i stop these lousy flashing ads, like the one at the bottom of AI, i might end up with a seizure!!!

BOMB THEIR SERVERS.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Those cache problems really need a fix...

And animations doesnt work properly. If there are several smileys on a page, only a few of them will play..

A way to collapse the top of the window, so only tabs show would be nice.. Camino does this really beautifully!

More conextual menu options...

Non-metal as an option, or default! (Dont flame me plz! )
  • Reply 39 of 63
    I can't stand Safari's URL autocomplete. I type "google" into the location field and hit enter and it takes my to my last google search It is so Microsoft the way it tries to think for me!

Don't get me wrong, URL autocomplete is great -- one should just have to hit a key (such as tab) to use it, instead of a key (delete) to get rid of it.

-Chris
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Those cache problems really need a fix...

And animations doesnt work properly. If there are several smileys on a page, only a few of them will play..

These were both fixed long ago with the early 1.1 builds.