G5 3 gig in 9 months?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by AngryAngel

Because anything faster is MUCH more expensive.

For the time beeing yes.. but I don't think Apple designed its system controller just stop at DDR400. I hope they have som head room for faster RAM. DDR500 is just about to be released, but I don't think its a real standard. yet. That's going to change though and that should be something Apple prepared for.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Steve J said 3 gigs in 12 months and that was exciting.

Then an IBM VP said 3 gigs in 12 months and that was a public commitment.

Hell of a difference.

The 3 gig will be here and shipping within those 12 months - IBM is going to beat their projected delivery time, even if to show Moto how it is done.

In terms of faster speeds before then, I think you'll see them as soon as IBM is delivering in quantities. Jobs wants speed, speed and speed and won't sit on a boost for very long. I think we can forget the days of Moto's improvements for the PM - and hopefully for the PB.

I think that they other major factor is that the G5 box was engineered from the ground up for the G5. I have to believe that they built it to go to at least 4 gigs without significant engineering. Everything but our credit cards will be ready for speed bumps when production quantities are there and I hear IBM will be ready to deliver by the end of this year.

Best guess? Mid 2 gigs after Christmas and a .09 G5 PB in Feb/Mar - with stock immediately available.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

For the time beeing yes.. but I don't think Apple designed its system controller just stop at DDR400. I hope they have som head room for faster RAM. DDR500 is just about to be released, but I don't think its a real standard. yet. That's going to change though and that should be something Apple prepared for.

I don't know, but can quad DDR use the same MB layout as DDR? Do the traces have to be shorter to go to DDR500?
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I think that they other major factor is that the G5 box was engineered from the ground up for the G5. I have to believe that they built it to go to at least 4 gigs without significant engineering. Everything but our credit cards will be ready for speed bumps when production quantities are there and I hear IBM will be ready to deliver by the end of this year.

Everything but our credit cards and OS updates. It's interesting that IBM shipped the PPC970 so early that Apple was caught without a 64-bit OS. Looks like Apple will have to change gears from the Moto "promise early. deliver late" mode of operation to IBM's "Promise late, deliver early" mode.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Tomb of the Unknown

Everything but our credit cards and OS updates.

Apple will have the OS updates ready much sooner than I will have my credit card
  • Reply 46 of 63
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    The Microprocessor Forum will take place October 13 to 16, and IBM is set to talk about the Power5 processor. It's likely IBM is developing the lite version of the Power5 at the same time, and hopefully they will talk about both chips. After the forum, we may be able to figure out whether the 3 GHz G5 will be a shrunk 970 or the new processor.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:

[After the forum, we may be able to figure out whether the 3 GHz G5 will be a shrunk 970 or the new processor. [/B]

970+ is designed to go at least as far as 2.8 GHz. That's close enough to 3 GHz for me. There's really no need for the newer 97x (ie the Power5-derivative) to do that for us.. but that processor seems to be introduced around 2.5 GHz so it will go to 3 GHz eventually.

I think 970+ will reach 3 GHz before 97x will, if it ideed ever will. We have quite a good idea of when 970+ will arrive (early 2004), but we have only a vague idea of when 97x will (2004 or later). So I'm betting on 970+ to take us up to 3 GHz.

There's nothing more fun then to speculate about things that might be revealed in a month's time
  • Reply 48 of 63
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Since my G5 purchase plans have been delayed, I am hopeful that the current dual 2 GHz model becomes the middle machine in January, and thus a significant price drop. Despite all the yapping about suspect Integer performance, I have no doubt this machine will rock for my purposes and will be well worth the dough at the middle price point.

Who knows, maybe they'll even be rev2 970 chips complete with more cache and reduced errata!

• Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I'm waiting until january to get my g5... there will be cheaper displays, a fairly bug-free panther, and a potontial bump to the g5 duals...

I'm waiting with you for the same reasons, and hording cash away in preperation. Jan-Feb hopefully will see single 1.8, dual 2.0 and dual 2.4-5's, shipped with panther. Hopefully

in the very least they will get back to a single on the low end with the mid and high models sporting dual cpu's again.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    In the macrumors blow by blow over the Paris Expo happenings they mentioned the fact that Stevie reiterated the fact again that 3ghz would be in place by end of USA summer 2004
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by colletti

Jan-Feb hopefully will see single 1.8, dual 2.0 and dual 2.4-5's, shipped with panther.

Shipping in March-April.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    remember how 3 months ago everyone was like all, K, like they're going to totally put a G5 in everything right away and it's so liek going to be totally cool. And I was like, dude, they're not going to be ready yet, 12-18 months (at least) before you see it in anything other than a PM.

Looks like I was right on the money. If 3Ghz is the top of the .13u process, to then be followed by .09u it might take some time before we see g5 PB's/imac's etc etc...
  • Reply 53 of 63
    I just hope they don't do something stupid and put out a single 3Ghz model (like they did with the G4 at 733MHz, after having a dual 500 as previous top model). I think the dual 2 will probably be generally faster than a 3Ghz Single, as OS X is so good at SMP.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by colletti

I'm waiting with you for the same reasons, and hording cash away in preperation. Jan-Feb hopefully will see single 1.8, dual 2.0 and dual 2.4-5's, shipped with panther. Hopefully

in the very least they will get back to a single on the low end with the mid and high models sporting dual cpu's again.

If they don't have a dual CPU mid model (don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a dual CPU mid model too), you should be able to pick up an old dual 2.0 cheap. The prices should come down due to the new models. So you should be able to get a nice dual either way.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

remember how 3 months ago everyone was like all, K, like they're going to totally put a G5 in everything right away and it's so liek going to be totally cool. And I was like, dude, they're not going to be ready yet, 12-18 months (at least) before you see it in anything other than a PM.

Looks like I was right on the money. If 3Ghz is the top of the .13u process, to then be followed by .09u it might take some time before we see g5 PB's/imac's etc etc...

It was hardly "everyone". Anybody even remotely realistic has known all along that a G5 PowerBook must wait for the 0.09 micron 970.

The 0.13 version of the 970 is never going to hit 3 GHz, ergo the 0.09 version will ship on or before summer's end next year. My guess is that it'll ship well before then and ramp from 2.5 GHz to 3 GHz. When it arrives we should see it in portables in the low-to-mid 1 GHz range.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

In the macrumors blow by blow over the Paris Expo happenings they mentioned the fact that Stevie reiterated the fact again that 3ghz would be in place by end of USA summer 2004

Doesn't this already represent a 3 month delay from the WWDC (June) promise?\
  • Reply 57 of 63
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

. . . Anybody even remotely realistic has known all along that a G5 PowerBook must wait for the 0.09 micron 970.

The following article about Intel says we may be expecting too much power reduction in the 90 nm G5 chip. Just something to consider.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/32841.html

Intel is saying Prescott will be 100 Watts or more at 90 nm. They claim that power reductions are not what they used to be as the process gets smaller and smaller. Leakage current become more significant with the smaller process. Also, the chips tend to have more transistors. The G5+ may have the same transistor count, but on the other hand IBM may add more L2 cache.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Locomotive

Doesn't this already represent a 3 month delay from the WWDC (June) promise?\

No, Jobs said at WWDC that they would reach 3GHz a year after the release (August) - not a year after the announcement.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

No, Jobs said at WWDC that they would reach 3GHz a year after the release (August) - not a year after the announcement.

Steve made no such distinction between announcement and shipping dates. He simply said "We'll be at 3GHz within 12 months". That's June '04 to me.

His latest gaurantee of "Summer 04" may be mere semantics, or it may represent a careful spin of a slipping production schedule.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Jobs said 'before the end of summer 04'. I was there