Wireless Keyboard and Mouse...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    I think the biggest draw for a wireless keyboard or mouse is just that 'wireless'. no wires, no tangles, no mess. Also if workable, the option to use the same keyboard on multiple machines.

In the windows world, the multiple machines bit does not work. your keyboard is tied to one machine, you cannot seamlessly switch machines. you have to shut one down and reboot the other. Also as the wireless part is controlled by Windows, if the user wants to use the keyboard outside of the O/S, like for BIOS settings, it does not work.

Wonder if the apple keyboards will work when you are using terminal? what about seamless switching between machines?
  • Reply 62 of 137
    I used the mouse today at the Expo, and all I can say is that's it's too heavy for my liking, has no new features and is far too white - in other words, thanks but no thanks. As for the keyboard, it's too white as well - need I say more.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

IWonder if the apple keyboards will work when you are using terminal? what about seamless switching between machines?

I see no reason they shouldn't work in Terminal, but it has been reported that they don't work when you start up in Single User mode.
  • Reply 64 of 137
    What's the email to let apple know what a lame effort and piece of SH-IT this mouse with one button is?
  • Reply 65 of 137
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by seen_xu

the original pro mouse dropped its price to 49 dollars, good bargin, I am taking it into my budget consideration.

Good bargain? Are you kidding me? $49 is waaaaay overpriced still for a one button mouse. It's over priced for pretty much any wired mouse. The Apple mouse is worth about $15 at most.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pandoering

PLEASE PLEASE !! GET REAL !! I suppose true die-hard Mac-fans will find everything Cupertino has to offer mindblowing great, but how hard is it to work a two-buttoned mouse? Ok, many people will panic if you would add a scroll weel to that, but I think if you're allowed to drive a car, you should be able to handle a TB-mouse, right ?!

And I don't want to buy a third party add-on, because none of them design like Apple can (for me anyway). The only thing I can think of is that MS has some kind of patent for multi-buttoned mouses and SJ would rather die than put money on the table.

Paris wasn't "spectacular, spectacular". Apple may be devoting its resources to the G5 PB-integration, iTMS for Europe and the next iPod upgrade. When is Apple's big birthday-party?

Not everyone has the right to drive. And confusingly, studies have shown that full-grown people get confused when faced with two buttons.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

Good bargain? Are you kidding me? $49 is waaaaay overpriced still for a one button mouse. It's over priced for pretty much any wired mouse. The Apple mouse is worth about $15 at most.

Ahem... It's worth: $20 + $5 for 0-button design, +$3 (for something, say special transparent plastic.)
  • Reply 68 of 137
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I'm considering picking one up for use with my laptop while I'm at work. No wires+no receiver means I can just drop the mouse in my bag and it'll take up no more space than, um, a mouse without wires or wireless mouse with no transmitter.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 69 of 137
    I like the new mouse. Haven't used it. Totally want it. But hard to justify the price. Would prefer Logitech just copied the BT feature set and added a second button and scroll wheel. Would be more useful and cheaper. I like the new mouse...
  • Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I'm considering picking one up for use with my laptop while I'm at work. No wires+no receiver means I can just drop the mouse in my bag and it'll take up no more space than, um, a mouse without wires or wireless mouse with no transmitter.

Cheers

Scott

I suggest you have a look at the new wireless pocket mouse pro from Kensington - a way better deal! Bought two myself!
  • Reply 71 of 137
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Or you could pick up one of the standard Kensington pocket mice, with a retractable, stowable cord instead of a wireless receiver. No batteries to run out, and a MacAddict review gave the Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless a "Lousy" rating.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    This is a little ridiculous.

Firstly, even if Apple think it's oh so great to just have one button on their mice they must at least know that a significant number (in fact everyone I know with a Mac) are purchasing two button mice with scroll wheels.

YES! Of course you can go out and buy a perfectly good mouse from a third party manufacturer but why am I forced to line Bill Gate's pockets when Apple could make the mouse that I want without too much effort?

I DON'T CARE that two buttons might be confusing to some people, a Powermac might be confusing to some people but they have the choice to go and buy an iMac.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with choice, there is no real good reason that Apple couldn't design a two button mouse, the development costs would be minimal considering they are already a mouse manufacturer.

If you were an Apple share holder and saw part of a market that Apple could easily exploit for extra revenue, wouldn't you want them to do that?

Honestly, some times I think if Apple advertised on the Apple Store that they would come round and sleep with your girlfriend for only $49 people would get on forums and say:

"this is great, this is just what we've been waiting for! how can you say this service is overpriced?"
  • Reply 73 of 137
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    macanoid, funny you should mention heft, because heft is one of my requirements in shopping for a mouse. I can't stand the hollow feeling of your typical MS or Apple mouse. That's why I love my Logitech MX700, it's heavy, but glides nice a smooth.

And on the topic of rechargeable AA NiMH batteries. NiMH AAs tend to lose 3-4% of their total charge a day. NiMH AAs only supply usable voltage down to about a half charged state for most electronics this size. So, even if you don't use your mouse at all with a pair of NiMH AAs, the thing will likely go dead within 2 weeks just sitting idle.

Not having a charging dock is the deal-breaker. Not having at least two buttons, plus a scroll wheel is also ridiculous.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carpetfluff

This is a little ridiculous.

Firstly, even if Apple think it's oh so great to just have one button on their mice they must at least know that a significant number (in fact everyone I know with a Mac) are purchasing two button mice with scroll wheels.

YES! Of course you can go out and buy a perfectly good mouse from a third party manufacturer but why am I forced to line Bill Gate's pockets when Apple could make the mouse that I want without too much effort?

Bill Gates owns Logitech and Kensington?

Quote:

Originally posted by Carpetfluff

There is absolutely nothing wrong with choice, there is no real good reason that Apple couldn't design a two button mouse, the development costs would be minimal considering they are already a mouse manufacturer.

They're not - they are manufactured by someone else. I don't know who, but the hockey puck mouse was manufactured by Logitech.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

macanoid, funny you should mention heft, because heft is one of my requirements in shopping for a mouse. I can't stand the hollow feeling of your typical MS or Apple mouse. That's why I love my Logitech MX700, it's heavy, but glides nice a smooth.

agreed. heft (or lack thereof) is the one reason i hate wacom mice that come with their tablets. i KNOW that's part of their marketing (there is NOTHING inside... i have no idea how they work), but they feel utterly cheap, fragile, and very little feedback.

here's a funny little bit from yesterday's As The Apple Turns:

Quote:

We remain skeptical about the practical applications of this technology, however. According to Apple, "the first time you use this wireless keyboard, you'll realize just how much freedom it offers you." Well, we'll see, but given that our Power Mac is stationary on a desk that's stationary and connected to a display that's, you guessed it, stationary, we're having a difficult time understanding why it's so important to have a keyboard that's not.

Apple's enthusiastic insistence that we can use the wireless keyboard while "standing" and positioning it "on a pile of books" strikes us as one of the most bizarre bits of marketing copy we've ever encountered.

On the other hand, customers being able to use their wireless keyboard and mouse "up to thirty feet" from their Macs ought to do wonders for Apple's sizeable demographic among the extremely farsighted, who previously either needed to undergo extensive and painful arm-lengthening surgery, or... um... buy a longer USB cable. But these are wireless!

• Reply 76 of 137
    I 'might' buy the mouse if the sucker had a lifespan of 1 year plus per battery set. (but since wishes are for fishes....)
  • Reply 77 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Or you could pick up one of the standard Kensington pocket mice, with a retractable, stowable cord instead of a wireless receiver. No batteries to run out, and a MacAddict review gave the Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless a "Lousy" rating.

Hrm. Looked at the pocket mouse at Best Buy. I might pick one up and take it for a spin. Mostly I just want something I can throw in my bag with my laptop and use when I get to work. Not particularly picky about it, since it'll be right there next to my laptop.

Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

studies have shown that full-grown people get confused when faced with two buttons.

Their heads must explode when they see a keyboard for the first time then.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

just came back from Expo and tested out the Bluetooth Mice and Keyboards.

One word (for now): they suck. The mouse sucks that is. Dont even THINK of gaming or doing things that require precision tracking. I tried two mice and they were not smooth at all. Jumpy even. doing fast movements with them was horrible.

Apple could have done SOOOOO MUCH more with this... like a cradle for recharging (like Logitech I think) and maybe even a USB cable for the Keyboard that one could use to recharge the keyboard as well or use in case batteries run out...

If ANYONE buys these products it will be out of ignorance.

Christ... a ONE BUTTON, Battery powered bluetooth mouse.

Horrible.

You are right about the performance of the mouse. Several months back I had purchased the Mircrosoft Bluetooth Mouse and it was AWFUL in all ways. It would not track correctly, was jumpy, would skip and other problems. I took it back. I am happy with a wired mouse.

Fellows
  • Reply 80 of 137
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    fyi MS just released updated 5.0 drivers... seems Bluetooth probs are pretty much resolved...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14205