Excellent column in response to school system ditching Mac for Windows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If this was posted already, I apologize. It is late and I must get to bed and don't have time to search.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/09/17/Co...give_kid.shtml

Not to be missed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I will never figure out you Mac zealots.

I like All platforms of computing... even my palm...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I like all platforms, even my DRDOS 486, but Windows and its errors and unreliability would keep me from ever using it for real work, just as it always has.

Whether it's XP or Win98SE (stable edition) or whatever, there are too many random errors in running a windows box everyday. My work machine is a 2.4G P4 with all the bells and whistles, from Dell, and it doesn't run as fast on XP, or as reliable, as my Powerbook 180. It surfs the web well, the 180 doesn't. Otherwise, I'd pick old Mac over new Win anyday.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    OMG, I hate it when people cry about how unstable there win box is... this is not windows' fault... it is your hardware.

With my win box setup I have NEVER seen a crash caused by Windows. I have only seen java lock up my system. I have a rock solid system because I have good ram... NO El'cheapo sticks, a great power supply... a must for stability, and I stay the hell away from SiS chipsets... very unstable with the wrong ram.

It is all these people (who wanted to get a deal and picked up El'crapo to save a buck) who cry about how they get a BSOD every minute. No name RAM + tinbox PS + SiS chipsets (or ECS MoBos) = a very bad windows experience.

I like both platforms because I run Linux on both. WinXP Pro is nice and stable, MacOS 7 8 9 X is great, but I Love Linux.

Apple has it where it counts... they control there own hardware so they know that it will be stable.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Future Generations need to be taught multiple systems.

Why would I want my child to learn "only" Windows. I want my Son to be the next Bill Gates.

So typical of the US Education system which dumbs your child down and expects them to become some mindless cog in the defact system.

Innovation thrives on new ideas and theory. Not pounding in old world ideas into our youth.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

OMG, I hate it when people cry about how unstable there win box is... this is not windows' fault... it is your hardware.

With my win box setup I have NEVER seen a crash caused by Windows. I have only seen java lock up my system. I have a rock solid system because I have good ram... NO El'cheapo sticks, a great power supply... a must for stability, and I stay the hell away from SiS chipsets... very unstable with the wrong ram.

It is all these people (who wanted to get a deal and picked up El'crapo to save a buck) who cry about how they get a BSOD every minute. No name RAM + tinbox PS + SiS chipsets (or ECS MoBos) = a very bad windows experience.

I like both platforms because I run Linux on both. WinXP Pro is nice and stable, MacOS 7 8 9 X is great, but I Love Linux.

Apple has it where it counts... they control there own hardware so they know that it will be stable.

Wow, owning a PC is a hassle. Why not let the company that MAKES the computer decide what hardware workd with what OS and leave all the RAM, chipset incompatibilities to them?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Future Generations need to be taught multiple systems.

Why would I want my child to learn "only" Windows. I want my Son to be the next Bill Gates.

So typical of the US Education system which dumbs your child down and expects them to become some mindless cog in the defact system.

Innovation thrives on new ideas and theory. Not pounding in old world ideas into our youth.

Exactly. Who's to say Windows XP will still be the standard in the 8 years it takes them to get out of school? It may very well be Linux, MacOS, or some other variation. Also depending on what career path they choose the platform will vary. While in school they need to learn how to DO things with their computers not deal with the problems. macs make the best choices in that case.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Wow, owning a PC is a hassle. Why not let the company that MAKES the computer decide what hardware workd with what OS and leave all the RAM, chipset incompatibilities to them?

I built my own computer... why would I let some fat and dirty computer "techie" touch my computer's innards?

Most people (who know little about computers) look for "deals" and when they discover that Dell or HP or any other (keyword major computer company is more costly then the "ma n' pa Comp-U-shit" store down there street, they jump at the "deal". The CPU/HDD numbers make the sale but the rest of the comp is pure cheapness just to get ma n' pa more return for there inventory.

If you want to buy a computer (PC) and know little about them go for a Dell, or Alienware. If you get crashes or BSODs you can let them service the (keyword hardware problem for free. With ma n' Pa you need to pay to get anything fixed...

I got that DIY feeling when I built my current PC. More importantly I learned a great deal about computers building it. The only thing I enjoy learning more than computer hardware is learning Linux.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I built my own computer... why would I let some fat and dirty computer "techie" touch my computer's innards?

Most people (who know little about computers) look for "deals" and when they discover that Dell or HP or any other (keyword major computer company is more costly then the "ma n' pa Comp-U-shit" store down there street, they jump at the "deal". The CPU/HDD numbers make the sale but the rest of the comp is pure cheapness just to get ma n' pa more return for there inventory.

If you want to buy a computer (PC) and know little about them go for a Dell, or Alienware. If you get crashes or BSODs you can let them service the (keyword hardware problem for free. With ma n' Pa you need to pay to get anything fixed...

I got that DIY feeling when I built my current PC. More importantly I learned a great deal about computers building it. The only thing I enjoy learning more than computer hardware is learning Linux.

I have no doubt that a Windows computer can be as stable as a Mac. But some of us live in the REAL WORLD where we can't spend time on building a computer. Time is money for me and I don't have a lot of either.

Even IF you do manage to get a stable system, you will never be free of having to download and install a patch from MS to secure some or other vulnerability on a weekly basis*. Yes, there are patches and security updates for OS X and other *NIXes, but they are much more infrequent. If you don't value your time, by all means build your own PC and install Windows. You can even put it in a sexy case so when you jack-off after all your hard work, it'll be that much better.

*Year to date, MS has admitted to 42 security flaws in their software. That's about 1 per week. Have fun updating and having MS change their EULA on you if you want to update.