Video iPod, er, Archos

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Much speculation has revolved around the possibilities of a Video iPod.
  • 20Gb HDD or larger

• 3.8 inch LCD screen

• suitable for portable video recording, transport, and display

• competitive price with iPod $500><$1000 for top model

such devices are now shipping, but not from Cupertino

Archos 300 "Cinema to go"

c'mon Steve... we know you can do it better

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Much speculation has revolved around the possibilities of a Video iPod. 20Gb HDD or larger
    3.8 inch LCD screen
    suitable for portable video recording, transport, and display
    competitive price with iPod $500><$1000 for top model

such devices are now shipping, but not from Cupertino

Archos 300 "Cinema to go"

c'mon Steve... we know you can do it better

It's clunky and inelegant, and makes be want a nice slick chrome and white version.

For all of the comments I've read from people who say that they wouldn't want a video iPod ("Who wants to watch video on a screen that small", etc.), I'm certain that if Apple actually released something like this it would sell well.

I bet half of the people who said it was a stupid idea would buy one, too.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    The problem with this device is what videos would you want to play on it? Movies, right? And what format would they be in divx? With all the issues surrounding digital music do you really think Apple would produce a solution that allowed DVD's to be ripped to this video player. Ripping from DVD is one way of suggesting that the person owns the video but obviously they would have to use DeCSS to decrypt the DVD something that probably wouldn't go down too well. If you want mobile video by the Archos, I wouldn't be holding my breath for an Apple solution.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I would think we would see a version to handle photographs first. But I don't know, Apple has to be very cautious about this type of player and make sure there is a demand and market for it first. They didn't release the iPod until there were already a number of other MP3 players in the market. I think we are going to see a more gradual progression of the iPod.