Why doesn't the industry go MiniDisc?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
One question...

Why doesn't the computing industry go MiniDisc? I've never understood the advantages of using the larger and easier damaged CDs. MiniDiscs all very recordable and they're all very write-protectable, so what's the deal? They're only a few more cents a pop.

:confused:

Another idea is the blue laser CD, but only if it comes in a cartridge like the MiniDisc.

Perhpas Apple should take the initiative to include a MiniDisc drive in new PowerMacs. Let's mail Steve Jobs!

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: DanRuleUniverse ]

[edit by Amorph: Changed title]

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    Minidiscs are more expensive and have less capacity. "A few cents more?" Where are you shopping for CDRs?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Please use a more descriptive thread title like 'MiniDiscs in PowerMacs' or something that will give us half a clue about what you're going to be talking about.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    The MiniDiscs I see record a full 80 minutes of raw audio. How's that less?

Personally, I'd be willing to pay a little more for a MiniDisc that fits in my pocket.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>Please use a more descriptive thread title like 'MiniDiscs in PowerMacs' or something that will give us half a clue about what you're going to be talking about.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks! </strong><hr></blockquote>

My bad.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well, first of all, something called quality... The bitrate of MD is a ton lower than cd (I believe they hold 340 megs) Then of course like was mentioned, price.. 2 bucks as compared to a few cents. Sony owns this medium, and it is compressed in the proprietary Atrac format, which is aging as well. I could see some of the newer half size discs taking over though, like the blue light thing. But MD I think has too many shortcomings: a good idea for its time, but something that will never catch on majorly, although it will continue to have a small following.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Sorry. Minidiscs do not contain 80 minutes of raw audio. They only have ~128 MB of capacity. 80 minutes is lossy compression. I can't remember the compression standard used. I used to work at Sony, and we got to play with the MDs when they were beta. Pretty cool stuff, but definitely not as large a capacity as CD.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by DanRuleUniverse:

<strong>

My bad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I know.

Please click the 'Edit' button on you original post and change it.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Minidisc had potential. I bought a MDS 501 deck years ago and loved it.

Sony screwed up though. They tried to market MD 140MB drives that were incompatible with the Audio Discs and they came out with 140MB MD-DATA discs at $25 a pop.

Sony's greed and lack of vision prevented MD from hitting critical mass. I will support the format until it's death but recently Sony has only prolonged this inevitable death with that advent of small HD and more competitors in the Compressed Audio expertise.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to General Discussion.