More memory in new PBs...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anybody put more memory in their powerbooks yet? I looked online for a guide to how, but couldn't find one. Can anybody help me? (This is my first mac)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    BTW...yup, I'm a stupid newbie.

(I found how to replace them in the old PBs, however the new ones don't seem to have a keyboard screw...)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoelBennett

BTW...yup, I'm a stupid newbie.

(I found how to replace them in the old PBs, however the new ones don't seem to have a keyboard screw...)

Underneath, there is a small panel (not the battery) that you will have to remove using a phillips driver. There is a small diagram inside that will show you what to do.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Have you read your "Getting Started With Your New PowerBook" guide?

Yes, RTFM applies here . The instructions are printed in your manual, accompanied by an exploded view of what you need to do as well as the fact that you will need a Philips 0 (00? I forget but it's in the manual) screwdriver to do the job.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Of course I didn't read it, silly. If I did, why would I be making myself look like a total tool on the first mac board I have ever posted on?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoelBennett

Of course I didn't read it, silly. If I did, why would I be making myself look like a total tool on the first mac board I have ever posted on?

• Reply 6 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well at least the guy's got a sense of humor about it all. That alone makes it okay. Welcome to AI.

• Reply 7 of 10
    It's all good, Joel! Welcome!

Congratulations on your first Mac! I jumpled into the Apple world myself in 2001 when I got my first PowerBook (the kind with the screw in the keyboard ).

Here's a few sites that may help you with your new Mac. There's of course these forums with many helpful people (should've put the sarcastic smiley in my original post, methinks) but here's a list of a few other sites you may want to check out.

www.macnn.com <-- news from the mac world. A sister site to this forum. They also have forums at forums.macnn.com

www.appleturns.com <-- Satire at its best. Also dealing mostly with the Mac world and always worth a laugh. Jack's a great guy too.

www.macosxhints.com <-- Just like it sounds. They have a forum also.

www.macosx.com <-- Another hint / tip site. Also has a forum

www.versiontracker.com <-- Great Mac software search engine. Finds freeware, shareware and notifies you of commercial product updates. It's the download.com of the Mac world.

www.macsurfer.com <-- More Mac news

www.macminute.com <-- More Mac news

www.macaddict.com <-- Magazine site, also with forums

www.macworld.com <-- Magazine site, also with forums

Hope this gets you off to a good start in the Mac world.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

It's all good, Joel!

www.macnn.com <-- news from the mac world. A sister site to this forum. They also have forums at forums.macnn.com

www.appleturns.com <-- Satire at its best. Also dealing mostly with the Mac world and always worth a laugh. Jack's a great guy too.

www.macosxhints.com <-- Just like it sounds. They have a forum also.

www.macosx.com <-- Another hint / tip site. Also has a forum

www.versiontracker.com <-- Great Mac software search engine. Finds freeware, shareware and notifies you of commercial product updates. It's the download.com of the Mac world.

www.macsurfer.com <-- More Mac news

www.macminute.com <-- More Mac news

www.macaddict.com <-- Magazine site, also with forums

www.macworld.com <-- Magazine site, also with forums

Hope this gets you off to a good start in the Mac world.

It's OK to be a tool in this case, as long as it's a phillips and not a torx.

Isn't Apple Turns the funniest damn thing? I laugh out loud at least once a day at it. The guy's humor perfectly meshes with mine. My wife says "hunh?" at that site just the same way she says "hunh?" to me when I crack jokes.

Don't forget www.spymac.com if you want to visit a more chat-based site. Good and bad, that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

It's OK to be a tool in this case, as long as it's a phillips and not a torx.

Isn't Apple Turns the funniest damn thing? I laugh out loud at least once a day at it. The guy's humor perfectly meshes with mine. My wife says "hunh?" at that site just the same way she says "hunh?" to me when I crack jokes.

Don't forget www.spymac.com if you want to visit a more chat-based site. Good and bad, that.

Yea I love AtAT. I'm still trying to find a box of soy brand goat entrails so I can do some of my own prognosticating. But I may have to just leave it to the professionals.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Thanks much for the pointers, diz-udes. Those tips were hot-fresh!

BTW, I got the memory installed fine. Now I'm up to a gig.

Now I just need to go read the documentation on color balancing these LCD screens (which seem a little washed out with the lighter colors).