NTSC/PAL video conversion?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know of a clean, accurate way of converting NTSC to PAL and vice-versa in Quicktime?

There are a lot of issues to resolve - frame rate, resolution, interlacing etc etc... I worked out a way to make NTSC with pulldown from clean frame PAL in AfterEffects, but I end up with 1 frame extra per sec, so the audio sync is out. It doesn't work with interlaced material either.

Is there a simple software solution for this process, or does anyone know of any inexpensive (but good!) hardware.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    If you're already working in AFX, take a look at Re:Vision's Field Kit. I'm not sure that it's exactly what you want, but I've had some really nice results turning 30i into 24p, and I don't see why you couldn't resize it from there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks, but I'm really looking for a simple automated approach - PAL quicktime in, NTSC out etc.

I can't believe nothing exists in software form these days...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Thanks, but I'm really looking for a simple automated approach - PAL quicktime in, NTSC out etc.

I can't believe nothing exists in software form these days...

I can't believe that we're still using two different standards. Even in Digital TV, apparently... m.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sheesh, I came from the UK were PAL was lovely to the US where NTSC is the work of the devil. Which is why I'm now trying to convert my work from one to another... :-((