Avoid Pixo Displays!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I normally don't post this ort pf thing, but I have had such a uniquely nasty experience with this product I had to pass on the heads up. I purchased a Pixo AT500S 15" LCD display manufactured by NESO USA from Staples on August 20th. The display was about $20 less than a comparable brand name display and had a nice picture so we decided to give it a go. September 4th, the display goes blank and the smell of burning plastic fills the room. I unplug the display and take it back and get it exchanged for another one (I figure everyone has a lemon now and again) I get the replacement home and put it to use. October 3rd, smoke begins flowing from the vents on the back of the unit. I take it back to Staples and demand a different brand. To their credit Staples did exhange the unit (they were pretty nasty about it).

I will not have another NESO or Pixo product in my home. I believe there must be some design issue at work for two products to have an almost identical electrical failure in such a short amount of use. None of the air vents were blocked and there was a couple feet of space between the unit and the wall. I think this product is dangerous. Beware!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I Couldn't find a single other case of this, through Google or various recall sites.

I don't doubt you, just worry that your electrical system in your home is somehow to blame?

Are you sure some insects didn't get in? My Sony Wega tv had some ants that got inside and shorted some things out.

Guess my tech support experience tells me to think of the simplest thing first.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I don't doubt you, just worry that your electrical system in your home is somehow to blame?

Are you sure some insects didn't get in? My Sony Wega tv had some ants that got inside and shorted some things out.

All the other electronics (CD-RW, Scanner, 2 Printers G4, Speakers Cordless Phone TV, VCR, Cable Box, Nintendo, etc. haven't cooked or failed yet and all have been here far longer (moved in in March)

As for bugs I'm not aware of any (Since I needed to return the units I wasn't game for an autopsy). I still think it's odd for two items to have an identical failure apart from a design/fabrication issue(though it is statistically possible)