The MW that would make you switch to PC....Fantasy/Horror Time

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know either, but it obviously needs to be added to the AppleInsider FAQ/glossary we're starting over in General Discussion!

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000231"; target="_blank">Check it out</a>.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    My nightmare is really about the last MWNY. Was anyone else at MacNN forums when Kelix, the Aussie, was supposedly on the show floor while everything was being set up? He claimed to be connecting via the Apple booth Airport and spying for us. He also claimed he had a peek inside the keynote auditorium. Something big was about to happen. Be sure to look under your seats!

Now the part I have nightmares about?

Steve got wind of our mole. He was absolutely going ape sh!t, screaming and jumping around like Microsoft's monkeyboy. "Cancel everything!," he ranted. " Pack up the G5's. Yank every iPod from under every seat!"

The moral of the story is don't jinx MWSF. Use the wink and talk about how the G5 isn't really coming.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    Rainbow 6 is available for the N64-great game. Also don't forget one of the better FSP's, Goldeneye is console only.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>

I like the Mac a lot...but Apple doesn't make their stuff with gamers/multimedia enthusiasts in mind. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, here's a crazy idea:

Go buy a Plastation2 or a Gamecube.

I got a gamecube last week and the performance just knocked me right out. Incredible graphics, sound and extremely smooth gameplay.

Just a thought...
  • Reply 65 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Consoles always seem to be for simple minded games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll see games like Rainbow 6 on a console, where you plan your missions, execute them etc. Nor will we see Flight Sim 2002. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Rainbow six is out on Playstation, Dreamcast and even gameboy color.

rogue Spear is out on Playstation as well.

Unreal Tournament, Oni, Red Faction, etc....
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Fantasy scenario:

turns out the extra hour for the keynote was so Steve could give all the Keynote attendees a private screening of Monsters Inc (with running commentary on how cool the visual effects are). At the end of the show and the lights go up and Steve introduces the latest rev of the iMac. Still CRT, Still same design, same price points, 50 Mhz faster at each price point. Now for the big surprise: One color is "Mike Wasowski" green and the other is Blue and Green "Sully" fur pattern. Next up the new professional Macs with styling cues lifted straight from Buzz Lightyear: Green, White, and Purple Plastic. 100 Mhz faster at each price point, comes with complementary "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command II: Zurg bites the dust" video. ibook now comes in colors matched to "Rex", "Hamm", and "Mr. Potatohead" as featured in "Toy Story 3" coming only on VHS and Disney DVD later this year. Oh, and one more thing. enjoy new "iFlannelgraph" available free from Apple only for OS X. A healthy selection of Pixar Animated characters, backgrounds, and accessories are included for virtual flannelgraph fun.

The extra day before the expo floor opens is to allow time for cleaning up the aftermath of the mobs fury.

Meanwhile on his Gulfstream, Steve sips a bottled water and calls up his old friend/nemesis Bill on his Satellite phone and says "Hey Bill, guess who? You bet I wouldn't do it and I did, so pay up! Remember $100 million dollars cash and I get rights to give away a copy of Office on every Mac I sell for the next ten years." Steve cheerfully hangs up on a cursing billionaire.

MWTK rolls around Steve walks out behind the hastily erected Lexan barriers and a phalanx of riot police and announces G5 Macs up to dual 1.6 Ghz shipping today, iMac G4 LCD 1 Ghz shipping today, the donation of $50 milliion dollars worth of Sully and Mike iMacs and Buzz Lightyear G4s to schools, nicely speed and feature bumped 'books of all persuasions. iFlannelgraph? what I meant to say was iPhoto, an incredible image editor absolutely free only for OS X. Oh, and one more thing, MS Office is bundled free on all Macs from here on out.

Crowd goes wild, extra day allowed to clean up convention center before expo floor opens.

Meanwhile in Redmond, an angry old man plots his revenge...

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: BobtheTomato ]</p>
  • Reply 67 of 75
    You want gaming, get a PC period. I love Macs for work and creative beauty, but my new PC gets 175 fps on Q3 demo, and scored 8398 on 3DMark 2001. I'd never use it at work, though. Mostly b/c it doens't run FCP - the greatest program ever!
  • Reply 68 of 75
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>Fantasy scenario:

turns out the extra hour for the keynote was so Steve could give all the Keynote attendees a private screening of Monsters Inc (with running commentary on how cool the visual effects are). At the end of the show and the lights go up and Steve introduces the latest rev of the iMac. Still CRT, Still same design, same price points, 50 Mhz faster at each price point. Now for the big surprise: One color is "Mike Wasowski" green and the other is Blue and Green "Sully" fur pattern. Next up the new professional Macs with styling cues lifted straight from Buzz Lightyear: Green, White, and Purple Plastic. 100 Mhz faster at each price point, comes with complementary "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command II: Zurg bites the dust" video. ibook now comes in colors matched to "Rex", "Hamm", and "Mr. Potatohead" as featured in "Toy Story 3" coming only on VHS and Disney DVD later this year. Oh, and one more thing. enjoy new "iFlannelgraph" available free from Apple only for OS X. A healthy selection of Pixar Animated characters, backgrounds, and accessories are included for virtual flannelgraph fun.

The extra day before the expo floor opens is to allow time for cleaning up the aftermath of the mobs fury.

Meanwhile on his Gulfstream, Steve sips a bottled water and calls up his old friend/nemesis Bill on his Satellite phone and says "Hey Bill, guess who? You bet I wouldn't do it and I did, so pay up! Remember $100 million dollars cash and I get rights to give away a copy of Office on every Mac I sell for the next ten years." Steve cheerfully hangs up on a cursing billionaire.

MWTK rolls around Steve walks out behind the hastily erected Lexan barriers and a phalanx of riot police and announces G5 Macs up to dual 1.6 Ghz shipping today, iMac G4 LCD 1 Ghz shipping today, the donation of $50 milliion dollars worth of Sully and Mike iMacs and Buzz Lightyear G4s to schools, nicely speed and feature bumped 'books of all persuasions. iFlannelgraph? what I meant to say was iPhoto, an incredible image editor absolutely free only for OS X. Oh, and one more thing, MS Office is bundled free on all Macs from here on out.

Crowd goes wild, extra day allowed to clean up convention center before expo floor opens.

Meanwhile in Redmond, an angry old man plots his revenge...

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: BobtheTomato ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL. That is some funny shit. Where'd you think that up?
  • Reply 69 of 75
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    MWXX: Bill Gates and the Intel Axis have Tablets that do everything that Apple's mythical iTablet is rumored to do. The PDAs with Windows Jr. on them have working HWR and do everything else that the Newton did.

So Steve Jobs comes out and announces no iTablet, and/or no iPDA. And there's no announcement of Palm Desktop X. There is, however, a handheld iCamera the size of the iPod that will let you edit movies in the shower, on a mountain, in traffic, or in your sleep.

That's when I'm assimilated.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 70 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

LOL. That is some funny shit. Where'd you think that up?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Way too much time on my hands during the day (low mental stimulation job). Glad you enjoyed. With all the flames and dumb posts "if the new iMac doesn't have a 1Ghz+ G4, an LCD screen, and a built in Infrared back massager and sell for under $999, I am going to buy a PC, etc" posts it's nice to lighten the mood a little.

Peace.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I thought this was supposed to be a fantasy thread about the worst that could happen. Instead I see a bunch of whiners complaining about how QIII won't put out 5000 FPS on their iBook and that they aren't going to get 2 GHz G6's by MWNY (after all Motorola owes us big time).

As for me, the only way I would switch is if Apple started making PC's instead of Macs.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Interesting thread... :eek: That's some scary stuff you guys have come up with.

For those of you complaining about Quake 3, though, I just have to say this. I really suggest you try a fairly new Mac and see how it runs. On my dual 500 G4, which is far from top-of-the-line nowadays, I just timedemo'd Quake 3 v 1.30 on OSX and got a whopping 96.8 FPS. I haven't even had a chance to play with the s_ variables on that yet; so, I could probably bust 100 easy. On the same Mac I've been able to tweak the config (though, it gets real ugly) to get near 130 FPS. I can't begin to imagine how smooth the dual 800's are!

So quit your bitchin!! :o
  • Reply 73 of 75
    wait a sec... someone said something about airport being to ****ing expensive:

it's by far the cheapest ie3 802.11 basestation out there. the new one is an even better deal cause of the firewall features not inlcuded in the first one. airport cards are much cheaper than their pc world counterparts, too. i've seen people buy apple airport cards for using them with a standard pcmcia/pci adaptor card with a selfbuilt antenna because they are cheaper and deliver a much better performance than their pc counterparts with built in antennas

about the powermacs: i unpack my brand new g4, plug it into a powersocket, install my airport card and powerup the system (osx). next i download fink, open the terminal, type dselect choose xfree and while it installs i download my illustrator10 files from a share which i just mounted without any network configuration. while i startup photoshop i start hacking in some code using xemacs running rootless under x. WHAT THE HELL! THERE'S NO OTHER SYSTEM OUT THERE CAPABLE OF SHIT LIKE THAT!!!!

sometimes i work in a mixed office and see those pc guys digging in their files. i'm more than twice as fast using osx on a tibook550 just because the interface is better. i can run all the "normal" apps i work with - more and more coming up being native for osx PLUS testdrive my database (mysql) driven servlet (tomcat) sites on my powerbook at the client's office PLUS hack together some perl scripts for keeping my files sorted right (i.e. automatically rename mp3 files to the naming scheme using their mp3 tags and put them into the correct folders - as a crontab) and again: THERE'S NO ****ING OTHER SYSTEM OUT THERE CAPABLE OF THAT!!!!

so if you want to WORK seriously and still wanna play some quakeIII while using the unix underpinnings to evaluate your server stuff while being confronted with one of the most efficient and functional beautyful user interfaces out there stick with maybe not the best (in terms of raw number crunching) but the most flexible and by far the NICEST machines money can buy.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by sine08:

<strong>wait a sec... someone said something about airport being to ****ing expensive:

it's by far the cheapest ie3 802.11 basestation out there. the new one is an even better deal cause of the firewall features not inlcuded in the first one. airport cards are much cheaper than their pc world counterparts, too. i've seen people buy apple airport cards for using them with a standard pcmcia/pci adaptor card with a selfbuilt antenna because they are cheaper and deliver a much better performance than their pc counterparts with built in antennas

about the powermacs: i unpack my brand new g4, plug it into a powersocket, install my airport card and powerup the system (osx). next i download fink, open the terminal, type dselect choose xfree and while it installs i download my illustrator10 files from a share which i just mounted without any network configuration. while i startup photoshop i start hacking in some code using xemacs running rootless under x. WHAT THE HELL! THERE'S NO OTHER SYSTEM OUT THERE CAPABLE OF SHIT LIKE THAT!!!!

sometimes i work in a mixed office and see those pc guys digging in their files. i'm more than twice as fast using osx on a tibook550 just because the interface is better. i can run all the "normal" apps i work with - more and more coming up being native for osx PLUS testdrive my database (mysql) driven servlet (tomcat) sites on my powerbook at the client's office PLUS hack together some perl scripts for keeping my files sorted right (i.e. automatically rename mp3 files to the naming scheme using their mp3 tags and put them into the correct folders - as a crontab) and again: THERE'S NO ****ING OTHER SYSTEM OUT THERE CAPABLE OF THAT!!!!

so if you want to WORK seriously and still wanna play some quakeIII while using the unix underpinnings to evaluate your server stuff while being confronted with one of the most efficient and functional beautyful user interfaces out there stick with maybe not the best (in terms of raw number crunching) but the most flexible and by far the NICEST machines money can buy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dam straight!
  • Reply 75 of 75
    Firstly.. I really don't see the point of citing an entire post just to add an agreement to it.. Really.. just scroll up a bit and everyone can read the oridinal posting..

That said.. back to the topic.

Worst case scenario:

Steve Jobs takes the stage announcing that Apple is out of business.. sells the lot to Corel for a nickel, and donates every Mac left to Iraq and North Corea..

What would I do? I'd morgage my house and buy every Mac I can lay my hands on! That's what I'd do. Really, seriously!

I'd go guerilla, like a freakin' Amiga user!