That fan/heat issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so that fan is coming on just while browsing internet and listening to music on iTunes that's already been imported off a CD(i.e. the CD drive is not being used). I'm wondering if anyone knows if release of Panther is supposed to help with overall heat issues for the machines in general by improving effeciency? Maybe I am just paranoid at how much heat this thing generates. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Okay, so that fan is coming on just while browsing internet and listening to music on iTunes that's already been imported off a CD(i.e. the CD drive is not being used). I'm wondering if anyone knows if release of Panther is supposed to help with overall heat issues for the machines in general by improving effeciency? Maybe I am just paranoid at how much heat this thing generates. Thanks.

According to your profile you have a 17" PB - is it the new model or the 'older' version?

My new 1.25GHz PB gets pretty hot - much hotter than my old 800MHz 14" iBook!

Even sitting on my iCurve stand it gets pretty hot! Lets hope Panther sorts this out!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it also depends in part on the ambient temp. if your room is 60 degrees, you should have no fan. at 80 degrees, the fan will come on much sooner.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I have the new model, and I live in a cool climate. Usually in the mid/upper 60's inside my house/room, maybe into low 70's once and a while. I was just wondering if panther would help at all, having heard/read rumors that it might. I know rumors, what's the point. But you never know.