Any word on Panther's requirements?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I for one hope Apple stops supporting old hardware. Folks it's time to upgrade. Min requirements of 500mhz G3 would be ok since it would cover iBooks and Blue and White G3s which there are a lot of. However if you're on a beige G3...upgrade!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I for one hope Apple stops supporting old hardware. Folks it's time to upgrade. Min requirements of 500mhz G3 would be ok since it would cover iBooks and Blue and White G3s which there are a lot of. However if you're on a beige G3...upgrade!

hey, i got a b&w g3/350. but i fully intend to get a new g5 (vv007!), and, if possible, i intend to iLegally install pizanther onto my ol' g3.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    ]What drastic changes were made from 10.2 to 10.3 that would make panther not run on 233mhz?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

hey, i got a b&w g3/350. but i fully intend to get a new g5 (vv007!), and, if possible, i intend to iLegally install pizanther onto my ol' g3.

d00d, that's s00000000 iLegal! da pizzi pizzantar 0wnz y00
  • Reply 25 of 34
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Okay, but hey, beige G3 and jaguar weren't that good of an idea to begin with (I distinctly come up with the term Old World Rom).
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by vasu

I saw someone install the preview on a DP533 tonight and it works amazingly well. The read me documentation states nothing about requiring a DP867 or recomending a DP1Ghz.

In fact I hear it states this in the Panther read me:

So it seems beige G3, Wallstreet, and Lombard powerbooks are out of luck with this Developer preview and possibly Panther all together.

I also heard that the minimum ram required is still only 128. If I had a second mac I would install it but I just can't risk it. That's assuming I have the preview, of course.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

It wouldn't cover earlier iBooks, and no B&W G3s were actually that fast either.

What would realistically get discontinued in terms of support would be machines with older ROMS or motherboard architectures. Since the original iBooks use a similar motherboard architecture to the "Sawtooth" G4 machines, I wouldn't expect their support to be dropped anytime soon.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Not everyone can AFFORD a new Mac you know. I am stuck on my Beige G3 and Jaguar is decent preformance, and Panther will increase that again. Becuase of my disability, I am permantly unemployable. which means living on $500/month means no new Mac.

Yes I will buy Panther like i have for all of the Mac OS X upgrades. Also living in Canada, makes Mac's alot more expensive. I just hope my Mac sites are able to generate some income for me.

The Beige G3, Esp the Blue and White G3 have life left in as a primary computer (getting close to the end though) I would say late 2004 early 2005 will see the last people on the Beige G3's move to new Mac's (Power Mac's no less).
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I installed Panther on an ipod (so not a fast disk!) connected to a 500MHz ibook (so no quartz extreme mac and a slow bus - 384MB RAM). It felt a bit quicker than 10.2 - largely down to percieved stuff like the quicker sheets, quicker dock menus etc. It's early and I haven't really got into alot of use or run lots of apps, but it seemed at least as quick as Jaguar.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Yes, it does make sense to buy a new machine. It will solve a lot of compatibility issues for both Apple and the consumers. But the truth is that there are still many beige G3 users out there and they would've bought new machines by now if they were able to afford it.

It is easy for Apple to cut off the support for these people. Those people can continue using Jaguar. Jaguar is not Panther but it is still a very good OS.

But one thing keeps bothering me: What about marketshare? Apple always does the best thing to increase revenue and reduce costs. That's a good thing, of course. But I wish that Apple will sometimes sacrifice revenue and costs in the interests of increasing marketshare.

One way to do that will be to lower the price of their machines. But making the Panther beige-compatible will increase the market penetration of the new OS.

Many users have upgraded their beige machines with faster ZIF CPUs, USB/Firewire cards, RAM and Radeon graphics cards. It runs Jaguar comfortably and probably can run Panther at decent speeds.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    whytoiwhytoi Posts: 43member
    Panther is cool. I've just installed 7b85 on our family iMac DV Slot-loading (400MHz, 320Mb). It's definitely more responsive compared with 10.2.8 and as a matter of fact, it's quite spirited now for all general word processing, net surfing and others. 10.3 will definitely extend the life of this little piece of hardware for some time to come.

But no deny in this, 7b85 is definitely nicer on my 12" PB. 8)
  • Reply 32 of 34
    The site says:

"Requirements:

Macintosh computer with PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor; built-in USB; and 128MB of physical RAM.

1) Video conferencing requires a 600MHz or faster PowerPC G3, a PowerPC G4, or a PowerPC G5 processor; broadband Internet access (100 Kbps or faster); and a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera.

2) Internet access requires a compatible service provider; iDisk requires a .Mac account; fees may apply.

3) Processor upgrade cards are not supported. "
  • Reply 33 of 34
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    From Press Release. Also check Apple website:

Panther requires a minimum of 128MB of memory and is designed to run on the following Apple products with built-in USB support: iMac,® iBook®, Power Macintosh® G3, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G4 Cube.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    To awnser some older mac questions of running panther my ibook 300Mhz runs it fine and my imac 266Mhz also my G4 450 and a fue others run it perfect. . In the manuals on panther it says it wont install on any mac with out usb. As long as you have usb in theary it should install fine.