Hillary Clinton to run in 2004?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    why not? it states clearly that it may be due to a draft committee... so someone is trying to draft hillary...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    NO. she is not going to run.

And yes it's just a draft committee.

http://www.dailykos.com/

"It turns out that devout Hillary fan Tom McMullen kicked off what amounted to a draft-Hillary movement in January when he formed a committee called "People for American Leadership."

As soon as that happened, it triggered a clause in the labyrinthine Code of Federal Regulations, and McMullen registered with the Feds by filling out FEC Form 1."
  • Reply 3 of 6
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    God I hope Hillary doesn't run! And I'm a screaming liberal (oops, sorry - forgot that was a dirty word - I'll go crawl back under my rock).

Go Dean
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I?m not from the states, but I cant seam to turn on the télé without seeing bush. It would be so weird to see a woman briefing the people on the situation in Iraq.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Clinton may in fact run. A lot of folks think she and Bill may be waiting until the Dem field is in tatters, so she can "save" them.

Hillary won't win whenever she runs, because too many WOMEN oppose her. The first woman President will need a very commanding majority among women. Negative impressions of Hillary among women hover around 40%....which is far too high.

In any case, Bush's own team has assessed the Democratic field as "unsually weak" according to several sources. Of course, that could just be a leak to sway public opinion. So, Hillary may yet jump in. Odds are she won't, because despite the rhetoric we hear, Bush is going to very tough to beat...especially for her. She wants to wait until an open election...in 2008. Secondly, if another Dem beats Bush, Hillary won't have an open field until 2012 (probably)...when she'll already be in her late sixties and out of the White House for twelve years.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Clinton may in fact run. A lot of folks think she and Bill may be waiting until the Dem field is in tatters, so she can "save" them.

Hillary won't win whenever she runs, because too many WOMEN oppose her. The first woman President will need a very commanding majority among women. Negative impressions of Hillary among women hover around 40%....which is far too high.

In any case, Bush's own team has assessed the Democratic field as "unsually weak" according to several sources. Of course, that could just be a leak to sway public opinion. So, Hillary may yet jump in. Odds are she won't, because despite the rhetoric we hear, Bush is going to very tough to beat...especially for her. She wants to wait until an open election...in 2008. Secondly, if another Dem beats Bush, Hillary won't have an open field until 2012 (probably)...when she'll already be in her late sixties and out of the White House for twelve years.

I agree with your assessment of Hillary's approval ratings with women voters and her overall electibility against...well...any candidate, Dem or Rep.

I think you're spot-on correct about Rove's opinion piece being designed primarily to sway public opinion. I could easily make an argument that the 2000 GOP candidates were equally as "weak". I mean Forbes, Hatch, E. Dole, Bauer, Dan Quayle (need I say more), Kashich and the rest were terribly weak presidential candidates. McCain showed the only real upset potential against the annointed one (whom I voted for). There are a handful of '04 Dems that really shouldn't be up there, though. This is really a race between Dean, Clark, Kerry and (maybe) Gephardt and the debates would be far more interesting if it were limited to those four.