Powerbook-like keyboard for desktops?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know of any reason why it wouldn't be practical to make a desktop keyboard more like a Powerbook one?

I tried my buddy's 17" Powerbook today and I loved the feel of the keyboard.

The metallic-look keys were really nice and the backlit feature is killer, because I generally work in low light conditions.

I don't really mind the one that came with my G5, but I REALLY like the Powerbook's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    The only lighted keyboard I'm currently aware of is this one.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/i...eyboards/5c3f/

The keys look like they are flat like a powerbooks keys..so maybe it is a similar experience.(though I would find it tough to beat the Pbook keyboards those things are dreamy)

I personally think it's tacky as hell...I wish Apple would release a lighted pro keyboard. Wireless or not I don't care, just as long as it is as sweet as the Pbooks(or sweeter)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

The only lighted keyboard I'm currently aware of is this one.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/i...eyboards/5c3f/

The keys look like they are flat like a powerbooks keys..so maybe it is a similar experience.(though I would find it tough to beat the Pbook keyboards those things are dreamy)

I personally think it's tacky as hell...I wish Apple would release a lighted pro keyboard. Wireless or not I don't care, just as long as it is as sweet as the Pbooks(or sweeter)

According to the website though, it's only Wintel compatible. Although as long as it's a USB keyboard, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

But you're right, it doesn't look that great and who kows about the feel?

The Powerbooks keyboards feel pretty sweet.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The website says it uses PS/2, so you can't connect it to a Mac. Too bad
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Apparently you can use a PS/2 to USB adapter, but there are more problems.

Found a review here.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Aiiiee! Trust me, that keyboard sucks.

"Perfect for late-night coding sessions" my butt. It has a uselessly faint glow, not at all like the practical glow of the Powerbook keyboards.

Any monitor you would use would be brighter than this keyboard, thereby negating whatever dim light it does output, unless you inverted the screen perhaps.

Do your self a favor and try this at a store. Don't take my word for it. It also feels very cheap and has a terrible feel.

Makes the iBook keyboard feel like a baby grand. (I like the iBook keyboard BTW, nice quiet, light touch - plasticky yes, but durable)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I should note that it was not I, but my co-worker, that had one (I used it a bunch too) on his PC. He's not happy with it either, but kept it, out of stubbornness
  • Reply 7 of 8
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Not sure if this meets your needs, but the scissor keys are low profile like those on laptops.

And no, it doesn't light up but at least it'll match an iBook or iMac.

http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...ce/icekey.html
  • Reply 8 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm more concerned with the key action myself. If that MacAlly feels like the Aluminium PB keyboards, then it should be a great keyboard.

Does anyone know if the new (curved) Apple keyboards as used on the eMac and the wireless keyboard use the scissor action keys?