Bonjour, Fellowship in Paris France!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    "Giverny". 50 km North-West from Paris ;-)

Fondation Claude-Monet
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Fellowship,

I'm glad to hear you head a great time in Paris. Your pictures brought back some very good memories of my trip there exactly one year ago. At the back of Notre Dame Cathedral, there's a garden, and it was there, one year ago tomorrow (October 21st), that I asked my then girlfriend to marry me. Happily, she agreed .

It's a really great city, and very easy for me to get to - just a couple of hours on the Eurostar and I'm there .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I see you got a shot of the smart car. A favorite of mine. I was shocked one night to find a mint condition shelby cobra parked at a street corner. Who knew someone in France could have such good taste?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

All this Paris talk makes me feel kind of jaded, the city being at less than three hours drive from where I'm typing this. (Isn't it, Dyslexic Manipulator ?).

Why, Paris is just my backyard!
  • Reply 25 of 40
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    "Paris" and "friendly" in the same sentence?

You mean Paris France? Really?

Good lord, been here a year now and while its a livable city, I hardly think people here are that friendly. They can be "kind" and "courteous", but I usually find that most parisians tolerate rather than actually 'enjoy' foreigners. Especially "loud" and "dumb" americans. I do have to admit, I do understand some of the animosity towards American tourists. So many that I have met, heard, helped were just so incredibly thick that I really think to myself at times how the "good ol US of A" can be a model to follow for the rest of the world.

Anyway... I digress...

Paris is nice to look at, but dont scratch the surface too much otherwise the gilded surface will fall off.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Good lord, been here a year now and while its a livable city, I hardly think people here are that friendly. They can be "kind" and "courteous", but I usually find that most parisians tolerate rather than actually 'enjoy' foreigners. Especially "loud" and "dumb" americans. I do have to admit, I do understand some of the animosity towards American tourists. So many that I have met, heard, helped were just so incredibly thick that I really think to myself at times how the "good ol US of A" can be a model to follow for the rest of the world.

Anyway... I digress...

Paris is nice to look at, but dont scratch the surface too much otherwise the gilded surface will fall off.

Paris is a nice place to visit, but not to live.

I will not exchange my little house in my small water-town against a flat in the Champs
  • Reply 27 of 40
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Especially "loud" and "dumb" americans. I do have to admit, I do understand some of the animosity towards American tourists. So many that I have met, heard, helped were just so incredibly thick that I really think to myself at times how the "good ol US of A" can be a model to follow for the rest of the world.

The thing to keep in mind is this: which American tourists are you going to remember? The quiet ones who knew a little about the history and culture of the place they were visiting or the ones who were loud and obnoxious?

I remember a couple of years ago standing across the street from Parliament looking up at Big Ben (near the bridge) and hearing this nasally American voice say "Well look there honey! It's the tower of London! I didn't know it was so close to Parliament!"

I have never in my life wanted to throttle someone so much as then. I mean JEEZ, everyone knows the Tower of London is just a myth, like King Arthur or fairies or Belgium!

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 28 of 40
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

The thing to keep in mind is this: which American tourists are you going to remember? The quiet ones who knew a little about the history and culture of the place they were visiting or the ones who were loud and obnoxious?

I remember a couple of years ago standing across the street from Parliament looking up at Big Ben (near the bridge) and hearing this nasally American voice say "Well look there honey! It's the tower of London! I didn't know it was so close to Parliament!"

I have never in my life wanted to throttle someone so much as then. I mean JEEZ, everyone knows the Tower of London is just a myth, like King Arthur or fairies or Belgium!

Cheers

Scott

The last time i visited US , they thinked we where German. By definition a european visiting US must be a german
  • Reply 29 of 40
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    F,

next time you're planning a visit to Paris, let us locals know. I'm sure a lot of people would like to meet you and also show the less accessible (and more interesting) parts of the city.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Thanks for sharing those photos with us Fellows. You took some really nice ones. My helpful tip for the day (which comes at no charge to you), is to fire up that copy of Photoshop and explore the wonders of the Perspective Correction tools.

I never used to pay them much attention but I recently realized that, when used properly, they can do wonders for any sort of architectural or interior shots. [They make it easy] to pull the verticals straight and make the flat surfaces appear level....

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

Fellowship,

I'm glad to hear you head a great time in Paris. Your pictures brought back some very good memories of my trip there exactly one year ago. At the back of Notre Dame Cathedral, there's a garden, and it was there, one year ago tomorrow (October 21st), that I asked my then girlfriend to marry me. Happily, she agreed .

It's a really great city, and very easy for me to get to - just a couple of hours on the Eurostar and I'm there .

Cheers,

Dave.

That's funny ;-) A few (5 or so) years ago I was in New-York with my girlfriend. After a dinner with some friends we were back to our hotel close to the Empire State Building were at the highest stair I was planning to ask here to marry me ;-))) Unfortunatly it was closed that evening. Happily I found another occasion to ask her and we're married since 3 years now...;-)
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Cheers

Scott

At least twice when I was there a French person started asking me questions in French. I love replying to them. In Holland it was more fun because I would say I don't speak Dutch and they would switch to English and I would answer they're question about the train or what have you. So ... I tend to blend in despite my "I'm 'merican" ball cap and blue jeans. Then there's my wife, Asian-American. Her French is okay, better than needed for vacation. But the French don't know what to make of her. They are force to reply to her in French because they don't know she speaks English. Then there were the guys in line with us at Notre Dame. I knew they were American because they were speaking in Spanish about the US. Do they count as American? They were very nice people.

So, yea, a lot of great americans fly under the high noses of the french and go unnoticed.

The worst tourist we encountered were the Brit's in line the Tour Eiffel. Horrible people. No manners. No consideration. Totally self centered. Don't they understand why they are so hated?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nixi

F,

next time you're planning a visit to Paris, let us locals know. I'm sure a lot of people would like to meet you and also show the less accessible (and more interesting) parts of the city.

Thanks nixi

Fellows
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I was just watching the history channel the other week. They had History of Paris. It was interesting and makes me want to go back.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Have fun in Paris, Fellowship!!!

Awesome pics. Some are blueish but they make me think they'll look great as doesktop pics ...

Scott, some French were funny. I mean - complaining that they did not understand me because of _my_ American accent(ed English)! *Cough* And interestingly, I found often I had to 'intuiteively translate' stuff .. I've never studied French, but I understand some thanks to Spanish, Italian and Portuguese (written a lot more than spoken though) .. but to a Hispanic American too?! \
  • Reply 36 of 40
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Anyway... I digress...

ZO Did I see you on the train headed towards CDG Airport???

My God, After seeing your latest updated photo in the community pictures I could promise I saw you on the train headed towards CDG.

Is that possible???

My God..

[edit] It would have been Friday morning mid-morning and I was facing the direction the train was going (towards CDG airport) and you were facing the opposite direction and you got off the train one or two stops before the CDG Airport stops 1 and 2.

Don't tell me I saw you... ??

You look different in your latest AI community photo and I only noticed your latest photo once I got back.

Fellowship
  • Reply 37 of 40
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

ZO Did I see you on the train headed towards CDG Airport???

My God, After seeing your latest updated photo in the community pictures I could promise I saw you on the train headed towards CDG.

Is that possible???

My God..

[edit] It would have been Friday morning mid-morning and I was facing the direction the train was going (towards CDG airport) and you were facing the opposite direction and you got off the train one or two stops before the CDG Airport stops 1 and 2.

Don't tell me I saw you... ??

You look different in your latest AI community photo and I only noticed your latest photo once I got back.

Fellowship

Hmm... I went to CDG on Thursday afternoon (with the RER as a matter of fact) and got off at Terminal 2 and came back on Sunday night (hungover and beat). Dammit... people been "noticing" me around lately. I think my double has gotten out of confinement. Bastard. Must... stop... him!

aside from that, drop a note if you pass by again!
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Glad to hear you had such a good time Fellowship. I am leaving in about 2 hours for Belgium. After a couple days there, I will be in Paris on Sunday, and am looking forward to it greatly. I have never been to France before, so I am excited. I'll let y'all know how things go.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Glad to hear you had such a good time Fellowship. I am leaving in about 2 hours for Belgium. After a couple days there, I will be in Paris on Sunday, and am looking forward to it greatly. I have never been to France before, so I am excited. I'll let y'all know how things go.

Have a great time SledgeHammer

Fellows