hardware profile

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a new G5 - where/how do I find out the following:

I paid for a graphics card update (radeon pro 9600). Short of opening the machine, how do I determine that it's really there?

Same re superdrive - how do I get mfg and model (eg Sony or Panasonic)

thx for helping a novice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Select "About This Mac" from the Apple menu, and click "More Info".

Or you can launch Apple System Profiler directly; it's in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jassdjassd Posts: 51member
    About this mac gives no graphics card info nor does it give specific superdrive info

running 10.2.7 OS X
  • Reply 3 of 14
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jassd

About this mac gives no graphics card info nor does it give specific superdrive info

running 10.2.7 OS X

Select "About This Mac" from the Apple menu, and click "More Info".

Did you miss that part?

What you're looking for is under the tab "Devices and Volumes"...the Superdrive info should be pretty straightforward. Your video card will probably only give a model number or something...feel free to post that number in here and we'll tell you if it was upgraded or not.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Check this out,I used the Open GL profiler, you can find that in developers tools for Panther.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    How do I post pictures here, I have a screenshot of the test I did to find the specifications of my graphics card.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I used the Apple hardware test CD to find the Graphics card. It is there for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Apple System profiler only identifies drive as being "CD-RW/DVD-R"

Since Panther won;t be hear for a couple of days, I'll try the developed tools later.

Funny thing is - when I first looked at a G5 in an Apple Store, I remember talking to a guy about the super drives. He opened the profiler on the demo machine and we were both surprised to see it designated as a Sony - at that time we thought only Panasonic drives were installed. Maybe OS has been tweaked since then.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

I paid for a graphics card update (radeon pro 9600). Short of opening the machine, how do I determine that it's really there?

The question on my mind right now is...Why wouldn't you want to open up the machine? It's amazing. You should not own that computer without opening it at least once! It's not like it's hard or anything like that. Do it! Admire the amazing innards of the worlds fastest personal computer!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Apple System profiler only identifies drive as being "CD-RW/DVD-R"

Click the little arrow left of "CD-RW/DVD-R". Manufacturer name wil appear. Some Sony DVD-R (DW-U10A model) drives were shipped with G5s and 17" iMacs. Those drives are supposed to support DVD+RW, but that feature has been disabled by Apple .

Most optical drives are traditionally Matshita/Panasonic.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thx all - clicking on the little arrow did the trick - This must be Apple's idea of intuitively obvious ? I don't want to bash Apple cause I've always loved their stuff but ??
  • Reply 11 of 14
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:

thx all - clicking on the little arrow did the trick - This must be Apple's idea of intuitively obvious ? I don't want to bash Apple cause I've always loved their stuff but ??

Jassd, those little arrows are called disclosure triangles. You click the triangle and it provides you more detailed information. It's a standard part of the graphical user interface, and Apple has employed it since System 7. It sounds like you're being a tad thick.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

When confused, click everything. Works for me.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

When confused, click everything. Works for me.

• Reply 14 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    ?->About This Mac->More Info->Devices and Volumes->PCI -->Built-in AGP

How hard was that?